Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Brooklyn Dodgers Project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
(I know I made a post on this already, but I am going to compile everything into one thread as I go along.)

Recently, the family has been trying to set up my grandpa's 70th birthday celebration. Because my grandpa was a big influence on my cards and love for baseball, I figured I would put together an autograph collection of his favorite team, the Dodgers (mainly focusing on Brooklyn, but I will also get some LA as well). Since his birthday isn't until June, I should have a lot of time to get signatures and plan how they are going to be presented. I would like to do something cheap, but something that looks nice and he can display. I am going to try to get the autographs on index cards for consistency.

I am going to log when I send the TTMs, when I get them back, and will post pics of some of the key autos I get, and the prep to present them, and the finished project.

I am very thankful for the help I have gotten from the board with a list of living members and addresses. If anyone has any suggestions on how to present these (that are cheap ways), I would gladly look at them as I go along.

metrotheme

Dec 3, 2009
I have about 10 Brooklyn Dodger 3x5's for sale if you are interested, some of deceased players, some of living ones.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Writing to the first few tonight. Will log them when I get confirmation they were sent.

I am asking them to inscribe them to my grandpa, happy 70th birthday. Then what I plan to do is get some sort of a centerpiece (probably a Dodgers logo of somesort, like a sow-on patch) and have somebody frame the index cards around the patch or on the top and bottom of it (with the inscriptions at the top).

If anyone has any (mainly looking for tough signers and deceased players) that they are willing to sell, I will try and work a deal out with the family to buy them from you. Just shoot me a PM. The deal is you are going to have to be patient because it may take 3-4 days (maybe more) to get some sort of donations from the family to buy them (unless they are super cheap).

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I have a layout in mind, and I am writing to the next few.

I will need a Duke Snider signed index if anyone has one (prefferably NOT personalized).

I have also decided to send thank you letters w/4x6 of finished product to each player who signed AND inscribed as requested. I am going to need about 8 inscribed, and 8 not inscribed, but if I get more I will just include them as a side package.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I have also thought about presentation.

I don't usually do these cutesy ways of presenting stuff, but this one might be kinda cool...

We are going out for dinner that night, so I am going to go to dinner, and leave early and go home, and pick up the gifts and hide them (together) in his house. Then I will hand him a wrapped box. It is going to be a 25-50 ct. plastic box with cards in it (dodgers). I will have some current, 80's, vintage... etc etc. In the middle I will have a decoy that says "go to room x and look on object y"

So he does that, and there it is...

Cheesy, I know, but it should be cool.

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
Good Luck, thats a very nice idea, hopefully you can get atleast 50 or so cards by then.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
abeabe said:
Good Luck, thats a very nice idea, hopefully you can get atleast 50 or so cards by then.

Thanks! I am going to send TTM to everyone that signs for free, so that is about 20, and then I plan to buy a few. Duke Snider is a must have!

FATBABY

Feb 19, 2009
I have a Duke Snider Baseball certified by Reggie Jackson's company. Let me get a pic of it for you if you are interested, just let me know and shoot me an offer.

metrotheme

Dec 3, 2009
Here is who I have:

Jean Pierre Roy (Doesn't sign TTM)
Gene Hermanski (Deceased)
Carl Erskine
Ed Stevens (Stopped signing TTM)
Dick Teed
Lonny Frey (Deceased)
Andy Pafko (Stopped signing TTM)
Clyde King (deceased)
Mike Sandlock
Ed Roebuck
Whit Wyatt (deceased)

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
metrotheme: I have an idea of who I want, I need to talk it over and see if I can get some money for them.

I got the first 2 successes back today, but my idiot self lost the list I was using. Hopefully I can find it, but I am guessing it got tossed.

Anyway, the first 2 were:

Joe Landrum 2/1. He signed and inscribed as requested, and included a note on the back (so I can't frame this one), and wrote me a small note. Very happy with this success.

Bob Aspromonte (spelling?) 2/1 signed and inscribed as requested an index card, and included a personalized (to him) state sheet. I am going to Wal-Mart to get an 8.5 x 11 frame for this.

I have decided that anything personalized to him, or not personalized (unless noted somewhere) he gets. Anything personalized to me, I get. I am only sending for him though. I think it will keep it true to what I am trying to do here.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Am working on the LAST letter. I put it off for too long, and I need these in less than 20 days.

When I say "last" I guess I mean I am writing to Wayne Terwillger (wow I spelled his name wrong). He requires a $5 donation, which is something I am willing to cover.

I wrote to Rachel Robinson, asking for her signature as well.

Pic coming soon of the progress so far.

Thank you letters will be sent to anyone who signed as requested.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I haven't forgot about you. His b-day celebration isn't until the 17th of June, so I was waiting to get TTM what I could, and then start purchasing them.

I will go through the list and let you know how much I have to spend (this upcoming week) and we can deal.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
The project is all finished for the most part.

We picked up 2 collage frames which will have to work. Each have 9 spots, and each spot is 4x6. I have one left over, and I may have to go get another one if I get another 5 or so, which is totally possible. We are trying to figure out what to stick behind each piece. I suggested getting custom mattes from somewhere, and someone said I should get blue scrapbooking paper to put behind it.

I also picked up an 8x10 and a 5x7, which were the wrong sizes. They will have to go back.

In addition, I snagged 2 magnetic holders and bags for the cards I have received from players.

On top of all of that, I found a few reprints and highlight cards out of my mess of junk (Dodgers of course) which will be going to him.

Thank you for all the purchase offers. I discussed it with my family, and they think I have enough. However, if you have a Duke Snider 5x3, I will purchase it from you, as I need that one.

Thank you again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated. I will be posting pics of the final pieces when I get it all finished

Members online