Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

========== The Morning Thread =========

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
JackLondon said:
We are back from a day of book shlepping at one of Chris' libraries. Got a lot done, but it ain't finished.

Heard that her elementary school (which is in one of the toughest parts of Long Beach) actually has been having a rash of "gang-related turf activity" during recess. No joking. 7 year old kids are emulating their older brothers/cousins and are declaring certain parts of the playground as their turf, complete with flashing gang signs, threats, and fights.

Jeez, what kind of world is this gonna be in twenty years?

Being from NYC, I heard this with the accent of an elderly Jewish lady. Now if your name was Morty and Chris' name was Beatrice, it would complete the image. :D

As far as the world in 20 years, I think the outlook is somewhat bleak at best. :(

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
69MetsFan said:
JackLondon said:
We are back from a day of book shlepping at one of Chris' libraries. Got a lot done, but it ain't finished.

Heard that her elementary school (which is in one of the toughest parts of Long Beach) actually has been having a rash of "gang-related turf activity" during recess. No joking. 7 year old kids are emulating their older brothers/cousins and are declaring certain parts of the playground as their turf, complete with flashing gang signs, threats, and fights.

Being from NYC, I heard this with the accent of an elderly Jewish lady. Now if your name was Morty and Chris' name was Beatrice, it would complete the image. :D

As far as the world in 20 years, I think the outlook is somewhat bleak at best. :(

I use the word shlep with pride. It fully defines what I was doing today: carting books back and forth, organizing them, marking out some as discards to give to the teachers, pushing antique bookcarts, etc.

The world in 20 may be bleak, but I can only imagine the dystopian nightmare that awaits the ET when he is 50 years old. :? :? :?

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
JackLondon said:
69MetsFan said:
JackLondon said:

I use the word shlep with pride. It fully defines what I was doing today: carting books back and forth, organizing them, marking out some as discards to give to the teachers, pushing antique bookcarts, etc.

The world in 20 may be bleak, but I can only imagine the dystopian nightmare that awaits the ET when he is 50 years old. :? :? :?

Thank you, Andrew. I actually had to look this word up and now that I have, I plan to use it frequently. ;)

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
pghbuccos said:
Andrew best wishes for Chris tomorrow

Thanks, Dave. We shall see. It is going to be one of those private meetings where all the potential layoffees are called into a meeting hall and given an envelope with either an assignment for next year or a big ol' pinkslip.

Chris has survived this annual ordeal for the past three years, but each time it is nerve-wracking. Also, tough to celebrate too much when several others in the room just got the ax.

Has been some anger (to put it mildly) in that room in the past: imagine "Lord of the Flies" meets "The Paper Chase".

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
69MetsFan said:
JackLondon said:
69MetsFan said:
JackLondon said:

Thank you, Andrew. I actually had to look this word up and now that I have, I plan to use it frequently. ;)

It's a great word, huh? :) Kinda like a dysfunctional utopia. (How's that for an oxymoron?)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
holy crap I just got this from some about my auction
PICS ARE OF TOPPS CARDS LISTING SAYS BOWMAN WHAT ARE THEY ? ::facepalm::
Seriously he is kidding right. Well actually not if he has to ask. :benson:
Here is the listing

(3 Card Lot )2010 Bowman Chrome Steven Strasburg cards
here is the picture and you can enlarge the picture too. Oh and I take it he did not read the listing either.
scan0009.png

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
God Damn you days in a row I lose out on something at the end by a buck
Although I was not going to go this high I did set my max at this just to win it but I lose it as well
t***r ( 114Feedback score is 100 to 499)US $43.39<<<<<< winning bid
Jun-15-10 16:43:59 PDT
Member Id: richandsheryl ( 567Feedback score is 500 to 999) US $42.39<<<<< MY max bid
Jun-15-10 15:55:31 PDT
for this it is off-centered too
!Bvh7WhgB2k~$(KGrHqN,!g0Ev1+0B2CQBMF!IctMZg~~_12.jpg

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
chashawk said:
Cubs game is in rain delay.

Sorry about the loss and the stupid questions, Richard. You might want to take "chrome" out of the title though.

Just to c.y.a.
Can't it won't let me edit this since there is under 13 hours I thought I couldn't after it is under 12
oh well I just cancel and relist them I guess.

Members online

Latest posts