Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unofficial 2012 Detroit Tigers Thread - WS Champs or Bust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Come on in all Tigers fans (and all baseball fans). 2012 is a season with high expectations for the Tigers. I thought I would start a thread to update throughout the season and I hope all the Tigers fans on fcb will join in.

Verlander seems to be his usual self today but the Tigers just can't buy a big hit today. I guess Jon Lester has something to do with that.

Cabrera just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at third base. He already tripped over his own two feet catching an easy pop up in foul territory. What really concerns me is that he didn't get in front of that hard hit ball. I think he got spooked from that ball that drilled him in the eye.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Verlander looked great and didn't really throw that hard compared to what he can do. If this is a sign of things to come we could see another 25 win season especially with that lineup. We will see if the defense holds up. Let's go tigers I haven't been this excited for a season in a long time

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Seeing Valverde blow a save makes my day.

He is one of those players I will root against no matter what team they are playing.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
vwnut13 said:

He is one of those players I will root against no matter what team they are playing.
I don't like him either even as a Tigers fan. I know he was 49 for 49 last year but he always puts runners on and every time he goes out there I feel like he's gonna blow it

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
vwnut13 said:

I'm not a fan of Valverde's jumping around either.

I was frustrated with Jimmy Smokes' decision to pull Verlander. I know a manager has to be concerned with a pitcher's arm early in the year but Verlander was efficient today. Verlander is on the short list of pitchers that I would allow to complete a game in today's situation.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
SilverandBlack said:
vwnut13 said:

I don't like him either even as a Tigers fan. I know he was 49 for 49 last year but he always puts runners on and every time he goes out there I feel like he's gonna blow it

This. Valverde is a watered down Todd Jones.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
archiebunkerjr said:
vwnut13 said:

I was frustrated with Jimmy Smokes' decision to pull Verlander. I know a manager has to be concerned with a pitcher's arm early in the year but Verlander was efficient today. Verlander is on the short list of pitchers that I would allow to complete a game in today's situation.

I agree with your JV comment. It was real nice to see Austin Jackson getting on base, and of course the game winner. This should be a very exciting season!!!

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
justwar said:
archiebunkerjr said:
vwnut13 said:

I agree with your JV comment. It was real nice to see Austin Jackson getting on base, and of course the game winner. This should be a very exciting season!!!

If Jackson comes anywhere close to today's game on a regular basis the Tigers are going to be really hard to beat. They won 95 games last year with basically no leadoff help at all. That and Boesch being hurt, made the 1 and 2 holes huge gaps in their lineup.

In some ways just getting the two of them to have better seasons is going to help as much as Fielder.

FrostyCollects

Sep 28, 2011
Michigan
Glad the Tigers won. :mrgreen:

Not so glad Papa Grande took away a deserving W from Verlander who did pitch a gem... ::facepalm::

Yeah, I think Benoit should be the closer nowadays...

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
vwnut13 said:

Naturally you will be upset because he closed down the Yanx last year.

Valverde is not anywhere near as good as his 49/49 save number last year, or whatever it was. I get very sick of watching him as a Tigers fan. The dancing is obnoxious, and he doesn't have very good control.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
FrostyCollects said:
Glad the Tigers won. :mrgreen:

Not so glad Papa Grande took away a deserving W from Verlander who did pitch a gem... ::facepalm::

Yeah, I think Benoit should be the closer nowadays...

If ever there was a game where the official scorer would break from scorekeeping rules and give Verlander the win instead of Valverde, this would be the game. I wish official scorers would take advantage of that rule when it is deserved. I don't think anyone would argue with it in the instance of today's game.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
The Tigers need to thank the Yankees for this win. ;)

Mark Melancon
Alfredo Aceves
Austin Jackson

Without those three players, the game was a sure loss.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
nborton said:
justwar said:
archiebunkerjr said:
vwnut13 said:

If Jackson comes anywhere close to today's game on a regular basis the Tigers are going to be really hard to beat. They won 95 games last year with basically no leadoff help at all. That and Boesch being hurt, made the 1 and 2 holes huge gaps in their lineup.

In some ways just getting the two of them to have better seasons is going to help as much as Fielder.

Great point. I think Boesch is going to have a huge season with Cabrera and Fielder behind him. And if Jackson can just get on base a time or two per game, the Tigers will be much tougher than last year when we had (like you said) virtually no leadoff hitter.

Sucks to see Verlander miss out on what obviously should have been his first W, but it's awesome to see him in form for start #1.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Game 2

Tigers abuse Beckett with 5 home runs on the way to an easy 10-0 victory. I'm looking forward to watching the Tigers' offense all season. They are going to mash.

All was not perfect as Fister left the game early after hurting something in his side. The Detroit News reports he strained his rib cage and he is going on the DL tomorrow. Looks like Below will get his chance to start after all.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
archiebunkerjr said:
Game 2

Tigers abuse Beckett with 5 home runs on the way to an easy 10-0 victory. I'm looking forward to watching the Tigers' offense all season. They are going to mash.

All was not perfect as Fister left the game early after hurting something in his side. The Detroit News reports he strained his rib cage and he is going on the DL tomorrow. Looks like Below will get his chance to start after all.

Too bad on the Fister injury. He was pitching tough before he left the game. Hopefully he won't miss too many starts since he's an instrumental part of the rotation.

Loved seeing Cabrera and Fielder go back to back. The Tigers are going to be one of the best offensive teams in baseball this year, no question.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Game 3

The Tigers set off more fireworks today. Miguel Cabrera hit a 3 run homer in the 9th to tie the game and Alex Avila hit a 2 run homer in the 11th to come from behind and beat the Red Sox 13-12.

I think I'm going to ditch work and go to one of the game against the Rays this week.

gvsu96

Aug 7, 2008
You can call me Milton
archiebunkerjr said:
Game 3

The Tigers set off more fireworks today. Miguel Cabrera hit a 3 run homer in the 9th to tie the game and Alex Avila hit a 2 run homer in the 11th to come from behind and beat the Red Sox 13-12.

I think I'm going to ditch work and go to one of the game against the Rays this week.
Too bad they had to use 8 pitchers today. Hoping it's just one bad outing Scherzer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts