Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the first card you remember being excited about pulling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Yeah those Rookie Sensations were crazy hot. I remember pulling a Juan Guzman and being pretty stoked. I also remember the Thomas and Plantier selling for over $20 a piece and that being the first time as a kid I felt like the hobby was getting "unfair" to children trying to collect. I don't remember the individual price of those packs selling more than Srp though. Weren't the RS cards only in cellos or racks or something? I know they weren't in standard wax packs

They were only in the 'jumbo' packs. They were only selling for $5, but at the time, that was nearly unheard of, especially w/a new product.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Yeah those Rookie Sensations were crazy hot. I remember pulling a Juan Guzman and being pretty stoked. I also remember the Thomas and Plantier selling for over $20 a piece and that being the first time as a kid I felt like the hobby was getting "unfair" to children trying to collect. I don't remember the individual price of those packs selling more than Srp though. Weren't the RS cards only in cellos or racks or something? I know they weren't in standard wax packs

They were only in the 'jumbo' packs. They were only selling for $5, but at the time, that was nearly unheard of, especially w/a new product.

And you knew the second you opened the pack if you had one of the Rookie Sensations because it was a dark blue outline sandwiched in the middle of the stack. I busted so many of those packs and if I didn't see that blue card immediately, I almost could care less what else was in the pack. Can you imagine if that set was released in 1990 and not 1992? The Thomas would make for a nice RC. And that would also mean he'd have 2 NNOF rookie cards since the no name Rookie Sensation variations are floating around out there!

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
J & J Newberry in old town Torrance. I could not wait to get my allowance and go there to look through the bin of cello packs, searching for Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Reggie Jackson, Hank Aaron, etc. we also used to go to the hostess factory in San Pedro and sit on the floor turning over the twinkles and cupcakes looking for our favorite players. When collecting was so simple...

Pack searcher lol.

Members online

Latest posts