Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What the most outrageous reason you've had a transaction cancelled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Thought this could potentially be a fun topic to share some silly stories and laughs perhaps. Now, it could be for totally legitimate reasons, or the ol' 'I didn't get the price I was looking for at auction', which I'm sure we've all experienced.

This morning I won a card, nothing too special, but a pretty cool one. Moments after I pay for it, I get a message (as well as a refund) saying that the card was damaged. To me, it reeked of bologna, so I sent a message back, nicely asking how damaged, as I might still be willing to accept the card if it were just a small issue, and for photos so I could make a decision. I got another quick reply, saying the card was so damaged, the seller just threw it in the trash. Not one to give up so quickly, I asked what had happened for it to have gotten so damaged. A minute later I get a this, "cat pee'ed on it!". Hahaha! Now that is the most absurd reason I have ever heard for having an item I won cancelled. Is the seller lying? Ehh, who knows....and honestly, who cares. Still thought I'd share the story and see if anyone else has some silly reasons.

Oh, I do recall another ridiculous reason I had an item cancelled and refunded. This one also reeks of nonsense, but if true, it is a really unfortunate thing to have happened to the seller. I had won an autographed ball. Again, nothing special. The seller reached out to me and said they couldn't ship the ball because their house was robbed and the thief stole the item. I feel bad laughing, because, if it was true, I could never imagine what it would be like to have gone through a robbery. However, if a lie, what a bold one!

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well and is otherwise safely enjoying their hobby!

Cheers, Mark

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
nothing crazy but I had a guy a few months back as to cancel a sale 4 hours after purchase because he didn't mean to accept an offer I sent him.
It's literally 3 or 4 button confirmations to do so and not so politely explained the process to him in that exact manner.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
as one who has been living in a house that has had as many as 21 indoor cats (my dadandiboth did lots of rescues) plus many more that lived in the shop here , i can say that is actually a valid reason....i've literally had to throw away about 500,000 cards in the past year due to cat or pest damage and it's safe to say that a box of cards that get cat urine on them is best trashed....

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I had my dog pee on a box of trade items that at the time included a bunch of griffey and now HOF gu and inserts. probably $200 value then. the griffey auto now would sell for that.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I had my dog pee on a box of trade items that at the time included a bunch of griffey and now HOF gu and inserts. probably $200 value then. the griffey auto now would sell for that.
Now that's a case where better to be pissed off than pissed on,don't apply

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I tend to be less willing to believe excuses that perhaps the average person. I would accept cat urine as a possibility, but I would think the person would explain what happened and see if you actually wanted it first. Maybe that is ridiculous to think, but a lot of people have filler cards of various conditions, waiting for a better upgrade.

That one literally stinks of a lie to conveniently avoid selling the card.

Thought this could potentially be a fun topic to share some silly stories and laughs perhaps. Now, it could be for totally legitimate reasons, or the ol' 'I didn't get the price I was looking for at auction', which I'm sure we've all experienced.

This morning I won a card, nothing too special, but a pretty cool one. Moments after I pay for it, I get a message (as well as a refund) saying that the card was damaged. To me, it reeked of bologna, so I sent a message back, nicely asking how damaged, as I might still be willing to accept the card if it were just a small issue, and for photos so I could make a decision. I got another quick reply, saying the card was so damaged, the seller just threw it in the trash. Not one to give up so quickly, I asked what had happened for it to have gotten so damaged. A minute later I get a this, "cat pee'ed on it!". Hahaha! Now that is the most absurd reason I have ever heard for having an item I won cancelled. Is the seller lying? Ehh, who knows....and honestly, who cares. Still thought I'd share the story and see if anyone else has some silly reasons.

Oh, I do recall another ridiculous reason I had an item cancelled and refunded. This one also reeks of nonsense, but if true, it is a really unfortunate thing to have happened to the seller. I had won an autographed ball. Again, nothing special. The seller reached out to me and said they couldn't ship the ball because their house was robbed and the thief stole the item. I feel bad laughing, because, if it was true, I could never imagine what it would be like to have gone through a robbery. However, if a lie, what a bold one!

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well and is otherwise safely enjoying their hobby!

Cheers, Mark

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
This was I trade deal I heard of dog ate the card

I had a Longoria UD auto rc in my truck after a mail day. set it in the cup holder in the toploader by the front seat, my dog bit it while I was out doing another errand. she somehow dimpled the front and embossed the back with a single tooth mark and no other damage to the card

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I had a Longoria UD auto rc in my truck after a mail day. set it in the cup holder in the toploader by the front seat, my dog bit it while I was out doing another errand. she somehow dimpled the front and embossed the back with a single tooth mark and no other damage to the card
we had a Scottish Terrier, he bit my ear lobe off
Mom taped a few band-aids on........... good as new

delsant2

May 29, 2010
nothing crazy but I had a guy a few months back as to cancel a sale 4 hours after purchase because he didn't mean to accept an offer I sent him. It's literally 3 or 4 button confirmations to do so and not so politely explained the process to him in that exact manner.
Oh absolutely, very well worth a slightly snarky explanation on how to accept an offer. Gosh, that stinks!

as one who has been living in a house that has had as many as 21 indoor cats (my dadandiboth did lots of rescues) plus many more that lived in the shop here , i can say that is actually a valid reason....i've literally had to throw away about 500,000 cards in the past year due to cat or pest damage and it's safe to say that a box of cards that get cat urine on them is best trashed....
Yeah, I figured the explanation has a chance of being legit. I'm still leaning toward excuse not to sell.....but only leaning. And wow, 21 at one point?!?! Goodness me!

I tend to be less willing to believe excuses that perhaps the average person. I would accept cat urine as a possibility, but I would think the person would explain what happened and see if you actually wanted it first. Maybe that is ridiculous to think, but a lot of people have filler cards of various conditions, waiting for a better upgrade.

That one literally stinks of a lie to conveniently avoid selling the card.
I agree with you here for sure. While no one can be certain, other than the seller, definitely has the stench of excuse attached to it. And I've seen this happen a few times before to me, although none as amusing as the cat pee and robbery reasons. Yeah, and I asked him, because I would have been willing to keep it as filler, unless that particular card was soaked. If it were in a box, maybe had a slight smell, or, since it was a chrome card, could have been wiped clean easy, I would have taken it. I even tried to ask about that, just in case. Of course, it was "already in the trash" at that point. :🤷:

we had a Scottish Terrier, he bit my ear lobe off
Mom taped a few band-aids on........... good as new
Oh gosh, no way? True story??!?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Oh absolutely, very well worth a slightly snarky explanation on how to accept an offer. Gosh, that stinks!

Yeah, I figured the explanation has a chance of being legit. I'm still leaning toward excuse not to sell.....but only leaning. And wow, 21 at one point?!?! Goodness me!

I agree with you here for sure. While no one can be certain, other than the seller, definitely has the stench of excuse attached to it. And I've seen this happen a few times before to me, although none as amusing as the cat pee and robbery reasons. Yeah, and I asked him, because I would have been willing to keep it as filler, unless that particular card was soaked. If it were in a box, maybe had a slight smell, or, since it was a chrome card, could have been wiped clean easy, I would have taken it. I even tried to ask about that, just in case. Of course, it was "already in the trash" at that point. :🤷:

Oh gosh, no way? True story??!?

Attachments

• Scout_Sign.jpg
    Scout_Sign.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 10

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Wow, well I'm truly glad that the band-aids actually did do the trick then, ha! Be well!

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
had a guy cancel a auction saying his son bid on it not him.

I've had that happen as well. The ol' "my son bid on the auction when I wasn't home" excuse. There is a slim chance they could be telling the truth but odds are a lot greater that they are lying.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I've had that happen as well. The ol' "my son bid on the auction when I wasn't home" excuse. There is a slim chance they could be telling the truth but odds are a lot greater that they are lying.
im glad they canceld was a 2010 bowman platinum trout auto, that i got way more for.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Then in 2016 I sold a A&G Bryce Harper auto to Evolutionsports. This was coming off his MVP year. Months go by, Bryce isn't having an MVP year, and they file a return claiming it had undisclosed scratches. I had no choice but to accept the return but obviously they couldn't flip the card so they lied. Fortunately the card arrived in mint condition, and I sold it again for $160 instead of $300.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Me too. It was just a little $6 Matt Kemp jersey card, so no big deal. Still, a silly excuse.

Then in 2016 I sold a A&G Bryce Harper auto to Evolutionsports. This was coming off his MVP year. Months go by, Bryce isn't having an MVP year, and they file a return claiming it had undisclosed scratches. I had no choice but to accept the return but obviously they couldn't flip the card so they lied. Fortunately the card arrived in mint condition, and I sold it again for $160 instead of $300.
Oh man, you know, that is what gets me sometimes about the hobby. That is is about money. Sorry that happened to you. Would have figured months going by would have cleared you from the responsibility for returns.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020

I had something similar happen with an Austin Ekeler football card. I sold it for $175 and a month later it was selling for about $70 and ironically the buyer wanted a full refund claiming "damaged corners not disclosed." That's why I think twice about selling on eBay sometimes but unfortunately other than comc.com which is very backed up right now, they are the only major option other than maybe amazon for card sellers. I long for the days of other sites like naxcom and sportlots.

Buyers should not be able to get a refund on sports cards if the transaction is a month or more old unless the sellers has terrible feedback.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
There shouldn't be an option to return a purchase after 30 days...

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Had a guy reject an offer (not a purchase) that was more than fair and more than above market because I really wanted the card, but also about 25% less than he listed it.

He replied and said his son did not want to accept the offer. I asked what his son is willing to accept. His response was that he doesn't know what his son will accept because his son is only 8. That's a wtf response.

Members online

Latest posts