Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WHY DO SELLERS NOT USE TRACKING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
It is getting so frustrating the number of purchases I have made that do not come with tracking (some 50+ in value). You get tracking straight through paypal if you ship through paypal yet people still don't do that. Absolutely absurd

It is absolutely ridiculous to not use tracking on ANY purchase.

So question for all you who do not use tracking,

Why? Do you not use tracking just because you want to be cheap? It only makes it a more difficult transaction.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I don't know why some don't. One answer maybe that the # of people who don't have a printer at home or don't use paypal shipping is way higher than people seem to believe. Another potential factor I've run in to is that the postal employees seem as confused as anyone about the service and depending on which teller I get on which day of the week they will tell me it is not available for bubble mailers, sometimes even regardless of what I cram in there. It is a valid question but it's not as simple as why not use paypal. Most people are not running a business

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I don't know why some don't. One answer maybe that the # of people who don't have a printer at home or don't use paypal shipping is way higher than people seem to believe. Another potential factor I've run in to is that the postal employees seem as confused as anyone about the service and depending on which teller I get on which day of the week they will tell me it is not available for bubble mailers, sometimes even regardless of what I cram in there. It is a valid question but it's not as simple as why not use paypal. Most people are not running a business

It doesn't matter if they are running a business. We are paying for a good(s), so it should be conducted like a business.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Its so much easier to print the shipping label than going to a post office. I find it rather annoying when a seller doesn't provide a tracking number.

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
And I never do. It's a pastime. Selling 40 great cards at about a buck and a half each is sure not a business. Even though my feedback shows only 100, I have had over 200 transactions with not one single issue with the PO. Sellers use tracking for their own protection and tracking almost never actually finds the parcel. The PO might actually lose 1 in a million, I feel, and in cases other than that it does no good. Plus in my case, I use a UPS store by my house for all shipping, and sometimes that adds a couple of days to the journey. (why, I have no idea)

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
only time I don't use tracking is when its a 50¢ card and I can replace it easily,
Then I may save the $1.00 on shipping...
Other than that I track everything...
Makes your business look good, You are protected by ebay & paypal, and you can see where your package is if it didnt get delivered!

Lately a couple packages have shown "delivered" but buyer said he didn't get the item and ebay & paypal protected me...

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
In this wireless, smart-world, I literally know maybe 3 people who actually still own a printer. I'm not saying tracking shouldn't be used, just that small volume sellers are going to continue to use the PO.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Click print label and your done. Should be automatic.
This
only time I don't use tracking is when its a 50¢ card and I can replace it easily,
Then I may save the $1.00 on shipping...
Other than that I track everything...
Makes your business look good, You are protected by ebay & paypal, and you can see where your package is if it didnt get delivered!

Lately a couple packages have shown "delivered" but buyer said he didn't get the item and ebay & paypal protected me...
Yep. Zero reason to not use tracking.
In this wireless, smart-world, I literally know maybe 3 people who actually still own a printer. I'm not saying tracking shouldn't be used, just that small volume sellers are going to continue to use the PO.
You can still get tracking from the PO.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I think Brewer Andy's thoughts of people not having a printer is valid. Yes, you can stand in line at the PO and get tracking (and all sellers should especially when it's paid for in the $2.50-$4.00+ for shipping). A lot of people become frustrated when the guy in front of him gets his nine things shipped 9 different ways and pays for each individual item separately so he can have an individual receipt because he cant read a multiple purchase sales receipt. Then you have to deal with the ultra ray of sunshine behind the counter after they've dealt with the aforementioned customer.

Fordman

loveitcards

Dec 24, 2013
I plan to start selling more on eBay and charge $0.99 to ship 1-3 cards in a padded envelope. If a sale is for $10 or less I will put enough faith in the post office by putting 2 stamps on a padded envelope measuring less than 1/4 an inch thick. This helps me as the seller to get more for the lower end cards as shipping in a padded envelope is probably attractive to most buyers even while not having tracking. I will print a shipping label with tracking generally for $10 and up deals.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I plan to start selling more on eBay and charge $0.99 to ship 1-3 cards in a padded envelope. If a sale is for $10 or less I will put enough faith in the post office by putting 2 stamps on a padded envelope measuring less than 1/4 an inch thick. This helps me as the seller to get more for the lower end cards as shipping in a padded envelope is probably attractive to most buyers even while not having tracking. I will print a shipping label with tracking generally for $10 and up deals.

I can understand doing it for cheap cards. But anything decently priced should have tracking (normally 10+ IMO)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
So I think the argument about it happening not beacuse of a printer is ridiculous because you can easily get tracking from the PO as well.

But you're missing the other part. I can take a single card in a toploader in a bubble mailer to one of four nearby post offices. Depending on which teller is working they seem to be 50% likely to tell me I need to pay for priority shipping to be eligible to get tracking on my package. It's ridiculous but I'm placing some blame on the PO employees. I'm like you, if it's over $10 I add tracking. But I've sold a few $20-$40 cards and when the teller told me I COULDN'T add tracking I said screw it, and shipped without

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Plus, the tracking is basically free when you buy it thru eBay/PP shipping. I also use it for "Gift" purchases, just easier and much cheaper.

As far as only knowing 4 people who own printers, I find that kinda crazy.

But I do realize most people print out everything at work anyway...:lol:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I get your point and I agree, but some people don't have printers. Sounds crazy, but it's the truth. A lot of sellers aren't running their ebay like a business and we can't expect them all to. It's secondary to their lives/jobs for a lot of sellers, so you can't over-think it. It's their risk.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I get your point and I agree, but some people don't have printers. Sounds crazy, but it's the truth. A lot of sellers aren't running their ebay like a business and we can't expect them all to. It's secondary to their lives/jobs for a lot of sellers, so you can't over-think it. It's their risk.
My at home printer crapped out years ago so i started using my work one, havent skipped a beat in selling and shipping.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Not that I sell much, but I buy a ton and as a buyer I could careless if the seller uses tracking. I don't check the tracking if they do. I just got home last night after being gone for the week for work and had 22 packages waiting for me. I find it a bit ridiculous that I would be tracking 22 packages all week. I only care if the card reaches my house in the proper condition. When I do sell I do use tracking just to protect myself and I do not own a printer.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Not that I sell much, but I buy a ton and as a buyer I could careless if the seller uses tracking. I don't check the tracking if they do. I just got home last night after being gone for the week for work and had 22 packages waiting for me. I find it a bit ridiculous that I would be tracking 22 packages all week. I only care if the card reaches my house in the proper condition. When I do sell I do use tracking just to protect myself and I do not own a printer.

I'm with u man. I can never think of any time I've tracked a package. I understand sellers doing it to protect themselves on high dollar stuff though

Members online

Latest posts