Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Troy Tulowitzki ever put it together for a full season?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Over the last half decade or so, Tulowitzki has pretty much been the best Shortstop in baseball. He hits for power, hits for average, and is a great defender. The issue is that he seems to be one of those players who cannot stay healthy. Over his career he averages roughly 120 games per season.

I keep buying his cards because in my mind he's that good, but I can't help wondering if he will ever be able to put a full season together healthy. Because of his lack of health, his RC cards have never gotten all that pricey (barring a couple of really hot streaks). He has just one rookie autograph (which is super ugly...) but it seems like as he gets older there's less and less of a chance he'll be considered a truly great player; he's just not on the field long enough...

Still couldn't help myself on this one:
$_12.JPG

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
it certainly doesn't help any that he looks like a ******* on that card, and that they used the same picture for his sticker auto in The Rookie Cup.

Im sure his cards would sell for more if he could get out of Colorado

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
No way to determine injuries...

But man, if he could ever put together three straight fully healthy seasons, look out!

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
yeah JD Drew has been the best outfielder in the past 15 years but he keeps getting injured.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Joshua Michael Johnson is the best pitcher the last 7 years but keeps getting injured. :p

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
yeah JD Drew has been the best outfielder in the past 15 years but he keeps getting injured.

The difference is that Tulowitzki has actually been the best SS over that time despite the time he has missed.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
That's a great question, Tops. I'd have to say odds are he will never put it together for a whole season, because well....he only has 1 full[ish] season to date in the majors, right? Even so, it's amazing what he did in 120 games last year. He still puts together fantastic half seasons. Since I think 09' he averages a HR every 4.8 games (34 HR/162 G), which is incredible considering his position.

Assuming Tulo and Gonzalez play in a combined 300+ games (never done, yet..), I have them finishing in second in the NL West. Maybe this is their year. We'll see.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
With questions like this I always think of Paul Molitor. In the 80s the guy was always hurt, with some dumb injuries, too, really only playing 2 what you'd call full seasons through the age of 30 (1987). After that, he only missed significant chunks of 2 seasons through the age of 40. I've wondered if it was just that his luck had changed, or, more cynically, that he'd benefited from PEDs, but in the 90s he was so great and always there. He finished in the career top 10 in hits at the time with over 3300. If he'd had those couple hundred games he missed in the 80s, he might've been top 5.

So don't give up hope on Tulo, this might just be his 80s phase.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
As my favorite player I always struggled with Molitor's time lost. Most players don't carry that success into their forties though much less have a game suited for late-aged success like Molitor though. I'm not sure Tulo has that going for him....

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
With questions like this I always think of Paul Molitor. In the 80s the guy was always hurt, with some dumb injuries, too, really only playing 2 what you'd call full seasons through the age of 30 (1987). After that, he only missed significant chunks of 2 seasons through the age of 40. I've wondered if it was just that his luck had changed, or, more cynically, that he'd benefited from PEDs
I've always thought Molitor was on PEDs.
At age 40, he hit .341 (tied for his highest avg.) and had his most ever hits and rbi, and even had 18 stolen bases.
He got better and healthier as he reached his mid to late 30s and 40, at the peak of the steroid era.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Tulowitzki is leading the league in OPS, which means it's now just a matter of time before he gets injured... :( Here's to hoping he can stay on the field...

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
In honor of his successful continued dominance of the Braves, here's the best Fernandez gif I've ever seen. That involves Tulowitzki.

ibd7dgjN0UsxhZ.gif

Members online

Latest posts