Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Info on 1998 Topps Tek Diffractors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Anyone know the odds per pack for the diffractors? 1:4 packs? Also, does anyone have a clue what kind of print-run these have? They have to be super rare considering 90 players/90 patterns and if 1:4 packs, you can do the math for how many packs/boxes there would have to be for multiple diffractors of each player and pattern, etc.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
1 in every 6 packs. No serial information is provided. They are RARE. I have 4 Ken Caminiti, 1 Roger Clemens and 1 Andruw Jones

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Okay, so 1:6 packs. I'm assuming 15 packs per box and 12 boxes per case? I know a print run is not known but was seeing what people thought the print run was.

If you're a numbers guy :ugeek: , you can start to do the math around how many there might be depending on how many boxes/cases of a product like this are typically produced...

Let's start with 8,100 different cards (assuming each pattern of each player has one); multiply each being inserted 1:6 packs = 48,600 packs, which would be 3,240 boxes or 270 cases. So, how many boxes or cases of a product like this could there be?? If there are 10 of each card, that would be ~35,000 boxes or ~3,000 cases.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Here is the information I had posted previously:

There were 20 packs per box, so roughly 3-4 diffractors per box. With 90 cards in the set and 90 patterns available for each card, I come up with a number of 8100 different diffractor variations. In order to account for all 8100 variations at 4 per box, I come up with a number of 2025 boxes. And that number is generous assuming 4 per box. I don't know how many total boxes were produced, but here are some figures to digest:

5 copies of each diffractor = 10,125 total boxes
10 copies of each diffractor = 20,250 total boxes
25 copies of each diffractor = 50,625 total boxes
50 copies of each diffractor = 101,250 total boxes

With the boxes being so scarce, my guess is they are limited to under 20 copies each. With 10 copies probably being the most obvious number based on their future tek gold releases.

As for your question of seeing duplicates, yes Fandruw25 and I have seen at least 2 of the same diffractor.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
this is the only info I have on them
"not only can each of the 90 cards in the topps tek be found in 90 different backround patters, but each can can be found in parallel adition printed with diffration foil. the Parallels are inserted on a average of one in six packs. Like the reg. issue tek's al patterns were produced equally and there is no value differentiation among them."
Common player 4 bucks a pop
complete set $400

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
AndruwHRJones said:
Here is the information I had posted previously:

There were 20 packs per box, so roughly 3-4 diffractors per box. With 90 cards in the set and 90 patterns available for each card, I come up with a number of 8100 different diffractor variations. In order to account for all 8100 variations at 4 per box, I come up with a number of 2025 boxes. And that number is generous assuming 4 per box. I don't know how many total boxes were produced, but here are some figures to digest:

5 copies of each diffractor = 10,125 total boxes
10 copies of each diffractor = 20,250 total boxes
25 copies of each diffractor = 50,625 total boxes
50 copies of each diffractor = 101,250 total boxes

With the boxes being so scarce, my guess is they are limited to under 20 copies each. With 10 copies probably being the most obvious number based on their future tek gold releases.

As for your question of seeing duplicates, yes Fandruw25 and I have seen at least 2 of the same diffractor.
Very cool! Thanks for dropping in on this. I also think these are close to a print to 10 but who knows.

It's amazing that you have seen dups. Incredible considering how rare.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I've seen duplicates of the McGwire as well. The most I've seen have been two dups of one pattern.

I've never done the calculation myself, but the same guy who calculated out the odds of the McGwire HR refractors told me he calculated them out to be less than 10 each as well. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'd be very surprised if there were more than 5-10 each.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^ ^^
Very interesting that a few of you have seen dups. I would literally ::facepalm:: if I saw a dup at this point of a Belle, considering I have 3 of the 90 out there lol. I would put these somewhere between 5-10 for each pattern but wouldn't be surprised if they were between 2-5.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Pack pulled from a few weeks ago

imgyb.jpg

img0001wm.jpg

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
I have two copies of one McGwire pattern. Joe also has this pattern, so there are at least three of each out there.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Very sweet! I'll probably never get that many Belle diffractors until some of the non-Belle collectors release them to me or the market :benson:

Members online

Latest posts