Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone ever NOT had success crossing from BGS to PSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I'm curious if anyone here has ever had a card in a BGS slab not cross over to the same grade or better when submitting to PSA. I'm not really referring to cards broken out of slabs, but cards in BGS holders that didn't get the same grade when submitted to PSA. All input is appreciated.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
I sent 6 BGS 9.5 cards with 9 auto grades to PSA and only 3 crossed. I had them just leave the others in the slabs.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
aaron41984 said:
I sent 6 BGS 9.5 cards with 9 auto grades to PSA and only 3 crossed. I had them just leave the others in the slabs.

Were these modern Chrome type cards, or condition sensitive cards? My idea is crazy, but there are several cards I've been following whose PSA slab consistently outsells the BGS slab 2-3x. My thought was if there is a high success rate for crossing these cards from BGS to PSA, why not risk it. I'm just looking for another other niche to dabble in besides Chrome.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
bballcardkid said:
Were these modern Chrome type cards, or condition sensitive cards? My idea is crazy, but there are several cards I've been following whose PSA slab consistently outsells the BGS slab 2-3x. My thought was if there is a high success rate for crossing these cards from BGS to PSA, why not risk it. I'm just looking for another other niche to dabble in besides Chrome.

You have to share which PSA slabs outsell BGS 2-3x...

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I'm also wondering: Do BGS slabs w/ a lower subgrade never cross over? Like would a BGS 9 w/ one 8.5 subgrade automatically be declined to be a PSA 9?

I do also find it weird my Tom Brady BGS 9.5 is not worth as much as a PSA 10. I graded the card about 2 years ago and only realized it near the Super Bowl this year.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
rico08 said:
bballcardkid said:

You have to share which PSA slabs outsell BGS 2-3x...

Not that I have $1300 to drop, but since your asking for an examples:

PSA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-BRADY-2000- ... 1c23684d2a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-SP-Authent ... 5d32160fb5

BGS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-SP-Authent ... 3f1328d964

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Brady-RC-20 ... 3f12cc3263

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-SP-Authent ... 1e69fd5bb6

Hypothetically, let's so the crossover success rate is 50%. You buy 4 BGS 9.5's. 2 cross over to PSA 10, 2 don't. You flip the PSA 10's while selling the non crossover BGS 9.5s for a small loss, you still come out way ahead. But, this seems WAY too easy, which is why I asked.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
You are never gonna have good luck croosing to psa with the card still in the slab. They are some snobs over their at PSA. If the card is out your chances are much better and yes I have crossed psa and bgs and vice versa

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Weak. I've only crossed from BGS to PSA twice. Both instances, I had a BC Montero Xfractor Auto BGS 9 with an 8.5 surface subgrade due to X lines. Both times the result was a PSA 10.

One would think that if each major company disliked the other so much, they would be more willing to accept crossovers because it would result in less high end cards circulating around in the competitors slab.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
bballcardkid said:
Weak. I've only crossed from BGS to PSA twice. Both instances, I had a BC Montero Xfractor Auto BGS 9 with an 8.5 surface subgrade due to X lines. Both times the result was a PSA 10.

One would think that if each major company disliked the other so much, they would be more willing to accept crossovers because it would result in less high end cards circulating around in the competitors slab.

Hmmm...I have a Bumgarner xfractor auto with the SAME problem. It's only a 9 b/c of an xfractor line. Are you saying I could send the card in the BGS holder to PSA and they would cross it over?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
BGS 9.5s will cross to PSA 10 if ALL sub grades are 9.5, any 9 sub and the card will not cross.

I have personally crossed several hundred cards BGS to PSA.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
markakis8 said:
bballcardkid said:

Hmmm...I have a Bumgarner xfractor auto with the SAME problem. It's only a 9 b/c of an xfractor line. Are you saying I could send the card in the BGS holder to PSA and they would cross it over?

That's right. PSA doesn't view an X line as a flaw. Crossing over BGS slabbed X line Xfractors is another oppurtunity people can take advantage of.

George_Calfas said:
BGS 9.5s will cross to PSA 10 if ALL sub grades are 9.5, any 9 sub and the card will not cross.

I have personally crossed several hundred cards BGS to PSA.

I assume the same can be said about BGS 9's crossing to PSA 9's? The BGS 9 must have all 9 subgrades?

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
scanss-1.jpg

I've thought about trying to cross this one over for a while. Not to sell but because I hate seeing the 9 auto. I would be a little disappointed if I got a 9 though and I have no idea what I'm doing with grading.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Really interesting thread. This concept has probably crossed most of our minds at some point or another. Does anyone have any 'before and after' pictures of successful or not successful crossovers? I think these would really add to an already intriguing thread.

Steve

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
pootshwan said:
Really interesting thread. This concept has probably crossed most of our minds at some point or another. Does anyone have any 'before and after' pictures of successful or not successful crossovers? I think these would really add to an already intriguing thread.

No pics, sorry. See the above Upton; it would come back PSA9. As I have been told, PSA views BGS as solid grading official and if a card receives 4x9.5 subs they will cross it to PSA 10. Unlike BGS, PSA conflates their grades into one numerical system when they evaluate corners, surface, edges, and centering; a PSA9 might look like a PSA10 or BGS 9.5 but one of the before mentioned are "mint" and not "gem mint".

I have never attempted to cross a PSA to BGS. I do BGS to PSA for registry/flipping purposes.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Honestly you are not the first guy to figure this out. People have been doing this for years. You are not gonna do well if the cards are still in the slabs especially if there are low subs. If you have the rocks break the slabs and submit. You will get a lot more gem crosses that way.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
jcmint said:
If you have the rocks break the slabs and submit.

I definately don't have the rocks for it. I have no experience breaking open a slab, let alone evaluating if the Upton I posted is good enough to cross to a 10. Anyone want to do it for me? :twisted: :D

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
jcmint said:
Honestly you are not the first guy to figure this out. People have been doing this for years. You are not gonna do well if the cards are still in the slabs especially if there are low subs. If you have the rocks break the slabs and submit. You will get a lot more gem crosses that way.
Never said I was the first......but as you say crack and send is easy too. When I crack and send I am about 60% successful at getting a 10.

Members online

Latest posts