Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grounds for listing someone in the 'block buyers thread'?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
So, here is the situation. I sell a high end card via BO for $370+ (I won't say the exact amount to prevent spamming or perhaps outing the other party unduly, which I may have done in the past, and apologize for). I send an invoice, then get a request for more scans from the buyer. Odd, I think (actually, I think...I know where this is going). Then, after I send the scans, I get this...

"I was not trying to enter 390 just realized that on my pay now. I entered wrong amount was tring 340! i will pay any fees you were charged if i could please back out. i didnt realize it was 390 when asking for scans either, just now did that is too much for me. Let me know what i can do to help you. i willpay all fees!! so sorry thx"

I respond systematically refuting each of his premises (law school helps with some things), and tell him that I won't cancel the sale. The BO, after all, was only accepted after it had been offered for 28 hours. Furthermore, their purchase history suggests that money is no issue for high end. Additionally, the last BO was the buyer's 3rd BO (they had progressed by about $40 each time, and the second (which was auto declined) was actually more than the price he is claiming to have intended to enter.

Should I post the eBay name/address of this guy? Or should I give the benefit of the doubt?

thanks for any input. I hate selling high end for this very reason.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would have simply agreed to cancel the transaction and moved on. He seemed reasonable in his request. I think this may have been a situation where "law school" had you over thinking a simple venture if you stand behind that as your basis for systematically refuting his request point by point. But then again, that's just me. I prefer to be kind over "right" when dealing with customers.

Last edited:

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Well, I will say that I plan to simply cancel. I doubt it would go well for me even if he did pay.

The main reason i am suspicious is that the number he entered comparedwith the one he claims to have intended are not near eachother at all in terms of typing. Plus, the discrepancy is less than 17% of the price I accepted. Additionally, the guy hplus as spent a lot on cards recently, so the 'toomuch money' rings hollow to me.

This is also partially an experiment for me to see if folks react differently when law school/lawyer is mentioned. Thanks for the input though. I mostly was just curious if this is the sort of buyer folks would like to block.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
The guy is full of crap, but you should cancel anyways. No one ever enters a BO of $310, gets autodeclined, then offers $350, gets declined again, and then offers $340.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Oddly, after I send him the message contesting his claims, he says 'okay but send me more scans so I know it is a good card, I don't like burning money'. Clearly got called out on his buyers remorse. Of course after reiterating (as my descriptions always say) that I make no guarantees about condition, he starts hemming and hawing again about how he thinks I'm trying to tell him the card is in bad condition.

We'll see how this goes. What are the odds it ends well?

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
So... why not just send him a cancel trans. request and move on. What happens when he pays, gets the card, starts an ebay claim, wins and negs you anyway?

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
So the buyer ended up paying after i sent additional pictures. how do i protect myself from any chargebacks or refunds? Im shipping with dc and insurance, but should i also video myself sealing the envelope? Im not too worried about claims regarding condition, since I explicitly make no guarantees (ive actually won two eBay disputes when buyers have cried about condition).

Im mostly worried about chargebacksn. I'll contest but ultimately eat a neg (I'm at least 1% a-hole, so my feedback should reflect tht).

Any advice?

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
So the buyer ended up paying after i sent additional pictures. how do i protect myself from any chargebacks or refunds? Im shipping with dc and insurance, but should i also video myself sealing the envelope? Im not too worried about claims regarding condition, since I explicitly make no guarantees (ive actually won two eBay disputes when buyers have cried about condition).

Im mostly worried about chargebacksn. I'll contest but ultimately eat a neg (I'm at least 1% a-hole, so my feedback should reflect tht).

Any advice?

You cant, and he might be spiteful and screw you over on this one. Hence why people were suggesting to cancel the transaction. Its aggrevating, but Ebay does not protect Sellers...Good luck to you on this one. .

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
you shouldn't have just run away from this one, you should have sprinted. There's a small chance it goes fine, but your buyer outed himself as a problem child from the start. Even it if ends up legit, take the previous advice and just cancel such future transactions and block the buyer. They just aren't worth the potential headache.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008

Any advice?

Because it's over $250, you need to send with signature confirmation instead of delivery confirmation. And given the situation, insurance is probably also warranted.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, id certainly insure this out the *****. But in terms of eBay screwing me, what would he claim? Item not as described? My listings explicitly state no guarantees on condition and no refunds, wich eBay has respected in the past. How could he screw me here and not be committing a crime (mail fraud)?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I believe worst case scenario if he decides to screw you over, he would say item not as described and he would be required to send the card back. If he purposefully damages the card, I'm not sure if your insurance would cover that at all....how would you prove it was damaged in transit if the package it came in is clean?

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I believe worst case scenario if he decides to screw you over, he would say item not as described and he would be required to send the card back. If he purposefully damages the card, I'm not sure if your insurance would cover that at all....how would you prove it was damaged in transit if the package it came in is clean?
Hence my thought to video record sealing the envelope, showing the condition of the card as i put it in. Thus if he does damage it himself, and tries to get a refund, its clear mail fraud.

If I do give a refund now, I still have to pay the sale fees and he can neg me anyway, right?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hence my thought to video record sealing the envelope, showing the condition of the card as i put it in. Thus if he does damage it himself, and tries to get a refund, its clear mail fraud.

If I do give a refund now, I still have to pay the sale fees and he can neg me anyway, right?

Sorry man, if he damages the card, videotaping yourself sending it in good condition wont help, since he'll claim that you pulled a switcheroo and sent him a different envelope with the damaged card.

eBay stopped giving a **** about sellers. Had to learn the hard way myself. It would've been best to completely cancel.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
HPC prettymuch nailed it. Unless it's a special circumstance, one to which I have yet to see happen as a 'rule of thumb', just about any request for a return/refund is going to be honored and mandated by eBay against sellers. This is the reason I have all but given up selling on eBay. Between their complete lack of protection towards the seller and the eBay/paypal fees taken, I have much better sucess selling on faceboof groups and on messageboards like this one when the time comes. Truth be told, 90% of what I sell, I sell to my LCS and get just about as much as I would after shipping, listing, and errant fees going the eBay/paypal route. Sometimes leave a bit of money on the table this way, perhaps 5 or 10 percent, but to walk out with cash and have hassle free transactions is more than worth it to me.

I honestly feel sorry for people who have no other option than to use eBay/paypal as a seller.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
well, I just gave a refund. lesson learned. if I get a neg, I deserve it for being a)a schmuck b) an idiot or c) a and b.

blerg.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
well, I just gave a refund. lesson learned. if I get a neg, I deserve it for being a)a schmuck b) an idiot or c) a and b.

blerg.

I wouldnt say youre an idiot. Youre not the only one who's dealt with it.

I'd consider it a learning experience that will help you in the future!

Members online

Latest posts