Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did anybody catch this Yahoo Article about the 25 things you don't know about baseball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wickedliquids

Feb 4, 2010
25 Things you don't know about baseball

I'm sure most of ya'll have read this, but if you haven't, you should - good number crunching by the author and SEVERAL interesting points about many players out there.

My favorite points being portions of the article mentioning Aroldis Chapman's numbers AND this.....

14. Mike Trout sees 65.9 percent fastballs, the fourth most in baseball.
Why? Scouts have talked about Trout's preternatural ability to hit off-speed stuff, and the pitch-type numbers back it up. He's got the second most runs off sliders and changes and sixth most off cutters.
15. Trout also is an incredible bad-ball hitter.
Mike Trout (Getty Images)How do you spend the first month of the season in Triple-A and end the year as perhaps the best player on the planet? Hitting off-speed pitches is a good start, and hitting bad ones is even better. On pitches classified as low and away, Trout is hitting a baseball-best .379 this season. Next on the list? Alex Gordon at .315. The major league average on such pitches is .211

Ironically, I have exactly 1 Trout auto (sorry guys, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon for that one - I'm way too late for that ship), but it's pretty cool to take a look at all the stats involving some players that we all collect.

By the way #25 is EPIC!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Hardest thrower is not well written (or researched because it can't be -- as the article is written). The players mentioned should be mentioned as the hardest throwers in MLB, not in "professional baseball". MPH for pitches are not kept in minor league baseball, which makes sense. There _might_ be some minor leaguers in professional baseball who throw harder or have thrown faster pitches than the ones involved in the Yahoo article.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
About #25

2012 Jeff Francoeur: -1.9 WAR
2011 Adam Dunn: -2.9 WAR

(fangraphs)

Last edited:

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The thing with Frenchy is that he one of the more entertaining players to watch in the OF. I attended two Rays vs Royals games last week. He makes even the most routine flyball an event. Plus, he basically has a conversation with you during the game. We chatted about the lights, the turf, the Mets, and his showboating.

However, he is terrible with the bat and he was a mentor to Eric Hosmer. ::facepalm::

Members online

Latest posts