Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does this look funny to you? Ebay bidding related...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I just bid on an item that had been listed for under 24 hours. It is for my PC, and autos of this player are not really in high demand...I am usually the first bidder on the scene. This time, there was one before me, no big deal.

I entered my bid, then decide to take a look at the other bidder. The other guy has 6000+ feed backs...so I figure a dealer or something like that looking to buy cheap and flip.

Then I notice, the bidder has 23% of his 30 day bids with this seller (out of 246 bids in the 30 days).

That seems like a really, really high percentage to be with one seller - especially when he has bid on so many items.

My immediate thought is that it is a shill account the seller uses to place high opening bids to drive up other bidders and see how high they will go. I have no evidence of this actually being a scam (it just looks weird to me), and the seller and bidder may both be on the board, so I don't want to give names at this point.

Does this look weird to you, or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

A_Pharis

It's all in how you take it, I guess. 50+ bids with one seller over 30 days isn't THAT indicative. I know that I sometimes will run into sellers that use bad titles so I'll go through and throw bids on a lot of their items to try to grab them if they stay cheap. Just go with your gut and bid at the end.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I just bid on an item that had been listed for under 24 hours. It is for my PC, and autos of this player are not really in high demand...I am usually the first bidder on the scene. This time, there was one before me, no big deal.

I entered my bid, then decide to take a look at the other bidder. The other guy has 6000+ feed backs...so I figure a dealer or something like that looking to buy cheap and flip.

Then I notice, the bidder has 23% of his 30 day bids with this seller (out of 246 bids in the 30 days).

That seems like a really, really high percentage to be with one seller - especially when he has bid on so many items.

My immediate thought is that it is a shill account the seller uses to place high opening bids to drive up other bidders and see how high they will go. I have no evidence of this actually being a scam (it just looks weird to me), and the seller and bidder may both be on the board, so I don't want to give names at this point.

Does this look weird to you, or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

I guess you could look at the seller's other items (current and past) to see if he's selling a lot of stuff that people would try to flip. I suppose you could look at the bid history of these items if you've the time and inclination.

Otherwise, I'd agree that nobody building their PC likes bidding against flippers!

Members online

Latest posts