Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospectors, Tell Me Why You Love To Prospect!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I don't do it at the level others do on here, but for me it's almost like another form of fantasy baseball. I enjoy the game and it's fun to be able to invest a little money in a player and see it grow while simultaneously watching the player perform at a high level.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I prospect for the thrill of the hunt, getting the same feeling I had as a youngster opening packs that I used to buy at the corner store, and getting the feeling of opening history. It's fun, it takes me back, it gives me an incredible distraction from the everyday humdrum. It's risky, particularly when I spend $50 on a 1972 O-Pee-Chee pack and the Roberto Clemente I pull is totally ruined from gum stain, but the risk is part of the thrill. My prospecting is for base cards only for the most part, I don't enjoy the inserts that have become so prevalent, which is why I focus on the 70s and 80s. Once in a while I try to find early 1990 topps box for a go at a F Thomas error card, but my expectations are very low there. My ultimate plan is to submit nice pulls for grading and make enough back that I can continue prospecting.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Its a form of fandom for me. The Phillies spring train and their High A, as well as low low instructional league teams are within about 20 minutes of me.

I follow the Phillies minor leagues extensively, so it was a natural fit for me to prospect what I know and love -Phillies. I see the players, make my own evaluations, and follow them up the organizational chart. When the guys make it to the bigs, I profit both emotionally in seeing kids I've followed make it , as well as monetarily from sales of their cards. :) It's hard when players get traded, and it's hard not to get emotionally invested.

You could say my PC is also my prospecting portfolio....

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
It's all about the scrizzle.

And the fact that you can actually make money with a hobby you love and would be a part of even putting all money aside.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Its a gamble for me and I like winning.

But its also a reason for me to follow the draft and the minor leagues. Its fun to watch a guy develop all the way from draft day tilll callup and knowing who these guys are long before most baseball fans.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
For the same reason that people bet on several football games or play fantasy football. I LOVE baseball, to the point that one team isn't enough. But I'm not going to betray my Brewers by rooting for another team (and I can't get in to fantasy baseball). So to keep me "bought in" to the rest of the baseball world, I prospect.

Sure, I may only care how well Shelby Miller and Wil Myers do because I bought in to their BC autos on the cheap; but I still care.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I enjoy owning cards I believe I would otherwise not be able to afford, more than I ever dreamed of when I was young. But most of what I now buy I consider to be borrowed from the world. When the time is right, I return the cards.

nbailey

Apr 2, 2010
I am a die-hard Astros fan, what else can I do but prospect?

I used to be a set builder, then a HOF autograph collecter, then I moved to the strange and wacky world of player collecting. I amassed huge PC collections of Berkman and Oswalt (guys I thought would be Astros for life), but then the team gets blown up and suddenly there's no more joy in collecting those guys.

Looking at the Astros roster makes me die a little inside, so for the last few years I've been going after the prospects. I've found that I actually enjoy it quite a bit, the daily searches for newly listed stuff, the minor league boxscores, the research...all of it.

It has lead me to even pick up a few non-Astros prospect cards, guys that I am truly prospecting.

My problem is that I always hold too long (J.D. Martinez), because I am too much of a fan.

One day I'll take a picture of my Foltynewicz collection to show you guys just how insane I am.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
I would compare it to investing or the best way to describe why I like to prospect is to be in the fantasy world of being a scout, which would be a dream job of mine.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
For the same reason that people bet on several football games or play fantasy football. I LOVE baseball, to the point that one team isn't enough. But I'm not going to betray my Brewers by rooting for another team (and I can't get in to fantasy baseball). So to keep me "bought in" to the rest of the baseball world, I prospect.

Sure, I may only care how well Shelby Miller and Wil Myers do because I bought in to their BC autos on the cheap; but I still care.

For the most part, I feel like hive does (except I LOVE fantasy baseball). It's fun to know who minor league players are for each team and to watch them have their highs and lows through the system. Plus when I talk to other baseball fans of other teams, I will bring up who I know in their farm system and that's pretty impressive in itself.

Obviously though, the biggest part of prospecting for me however, is the potential payoff.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
For the most part, I feel like hive does (except I LOVE fantasy baseball). It's fun to know who minor league players are for each team and to watch them have their highs and lows through the system. Plus when I talk to other baseball fans of other teams, I will bring up who I know in their farm system and that's pretty impressive in itself.

Obviously though, the biggest part of prospecting for me however, is the potential payoff.

To tack on here: I LOVE it when I meet a fan of another team, someone who claims to be "a huge suck-and-such" fan, and then I start talking to them about the top 4-5 prospects in their farm system (or 1-2 if you're an Angels or White Sox fan), and they look at me with a puzzled expression. It's a little ego-centric, but I don't care.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Reading these posts emphasizes that any kind of card can be 'prospected' - which brings up a question: how does one define prospecting? There has never been a consistent definition of the term.

Members online

Latest posts