Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Topps Impressions & question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I like this year's design, and look forward to the chrome version, where it'll really pop. I just noticed the "career chase" on the back of each card and I find it kind of amusing. If you haven't noticed yet, they list how far the player is from a career record, Ks, wins, saves, homers, hits, even doubles and triples. This is nice to bring recognition to old-timers and improve young collector's knowledge of history, but they pick odd stats to highlight. "With 52 triples, [Stephen] Drew is 257 away from Sam Crawford's all-time record of 309." I mean, there isn't a single active player in the top 100 of career triples, and that guy, Carl Crawford, only has about a third of Sam's total. Maybe narrowing it down to team or league records would be more appropriate or obtainable or something. "With 21 wins, [Dillon] Gee is 490 away from Cy Young's all-time record of 511." They might as well put out a card of me and write,"With 0 wins, Smapdi is 511 away from Cy Young's all-time record of 511."

I did notice that there is a variation in the Chasing History insert set. I have several cards with different colored "ribbons," one being a medium grey and the other a much paler grey. I have two Tom Seavers, and they are identical except for this detail, and the backs seem to have a different tint on the back's background brown/orange. Anyone figure out if this is intentional or just one of those things?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I like the idea of the Career Chase, but they appear to be riddled with errors. from the back of Jordan Pacheco's card:

With 171 hits, Pacheco is 3627 away from the all-time record of 4085

I immediately see two major errors there. I encourage everyone to read these, as there are numerous errors and the backs of cards need more attention generally.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
From Carlos Gonzalez;

With 648 hits, Gonzalez is 4028 away from the all-time record of 3608.

Huh? Am I missing something? Is there a Ginter-esque hidden code here, or just horrible editing?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
From Carlos Gonzalez;

With 648 hits, Gonzalez is 4028 away from the all-time record of 3608.

Huh? Am I missing something? Is there a Ginter-esque hidden code here, or just horrible editing?

There are three types of people in this world: ones that can add and ones that can't.

The real chase is to find someone who can properly do math.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I didn't read everybody's card to notice the errors but I did find it funny that they don't mention who has the all-time hits record. Shhh don't talk about that guy.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I didn't read everybody's card to notice the errors but I did find it funny that they don't mention who has the all-time hits record. Shhh don't talk about that guy.

This may have something to do with Topps' MLB license more than anything else - I'm guessing the license forbids his mention.

Latest posts