Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Questionable find at a store! Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospect732

Dec 12, 2010
New Jersey
I was shopping at a well known retailer and found these sitting on a shelf. They were in a plastic bag with a label that said "May 4, 2010."

I bought both pairs because they were Griffey Swingman Batting Gloves. They were $20/each. I'm trying to figure out the value of these because I don't think there are many around. What do you think? (pics attached to this message)

Attachments

• IMG_5022.jpg
    IMG_5022.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5023.jpg
    IMG_5023.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5025.jpg
    IMG_5025.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 160

prospect732

Dec 12, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah, I think they were probably just being sold without the original packaging. Were they labeled in any way as used by a professional?

I know for a fact that the label on the wrist "Junior" is a customized feature for Griffey, himself. There is a pad on the right hand of each glove to add cushion against the knob of the bat. These are in fact his personal gloves. My question (to the forum) was how rare are they to find in public, and how much do you think they are worth?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
If they were his, wouldn't he just have them stitch Junior into the glove instead of making a label and sewing that on also?

A_Pharis

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I know for a fact that the label on the wrist "Junior" is a customized feature for Griffey, himself. There is a pad on the right hand of each glove to add cushion against the knob of the bat. These are in fact his personal gloves. My question (to the forum) was how rare are they to find in public, and how much do you think they are worth?

I knew this is where you where going with this. They are retail gloves and as a matter of fact I tried on the same EXACT pair (white pinky) 2 weeks ago when trying on some before hitting the cage.

They are not his personal gloves, unless of course the footlocker is now selling game issued Michael Jordan sneakers. :D

Last edited:

A_Pharis

So, once again, they were probably just being sold without the packaging. They may be special edition, but they're 99% probably not used by Ken Griffey, Jr.

Edit: And they're probably worth exactly what you paid for them... which is why you found them "on the shelf at a well known retailer".

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
So, once again, they were probably just being sold without the packaging. They may be special edition, but they're 99% probably not used by Ken Griffey, Jr.

Edit: And they're probably worth exactly what you paid for them... which is why you found them "on the shelf at a well known retailer".

Based on sales they "could" bring $30-40 on ebay.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I can't imagine they'll continue to make this brand as the Griffey Jr. is not nearly the household name with the younger generations that he once was.

So, although they aren't game-used or game-issued...they're still "collectible" in a way.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I can't imagine they'll continue to make this brand as the Griffey Jr. is not nearly the household name with the younger generations that he once was.

So, although they aren't game-used or game-issued...they're still "collectible" in a way.
Yeah like I said I seen a stack of them, I suspect the factory is dumping all models through retail before either closing shop or shortening the line greatly.

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
The gloves are more than likely a promo piece or a give away ran by Nike or the retailer. You are spot on Jr gloves are as you described if you want to research it try finding images from that particular game make sure he even played that's where I would start. IMO the do not look game used but may be player issued. I have a Griffey batting glove and a wristband both are psa and I paid around $150 for both. I hope this helps. Good luck

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
The gloves are more than likely a promo piece or a give away ran by Nike or the retailer. You are spot on Jr gloves are as you described if you want to research it try finding images from that particular game make sure he even played that's where I would start. IMO the do not look game used but may be player issued. I have a Griffey batting glove and a wristband both are psa and I paid around $150 for both. I hope this helps. Good luck

I just called my local sports shop. They where not game issued or used. They said in the last shipment they got about 50 of these to discount from nike. His exact words where "Nike had a bunch of extra samples they needed to move so we where told to take 50 from our headquarters, besides the name these have nothing to do with Griffey JR.". The reason I trust this manager? He owned a huge card shop when I was growing up and if they where game used or issued he would have kept them all.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I knew this is where you where going with this. They are retail gloves and as a matter of fact I tried on the same EXACT pair (white pinky) 2 weeks ago when trying on some before hitting the cage.

They are not his personal gloves, unless of course the footlocker is now selling game issued Michael Jordan sneakers. :D

IF they don't fit, you must acquit.

prospect732

Dec 12, 2010
New Jersey

Yeah, No game used equipment ever gets to a retailer. It wouldn't make sense. The player issue stuff does. So far, I've picked up Tony Gwynn Jr. Batting Gloves, Kurt Suzuki Shin Guards, Jorge Posada Nike Chest Protector, Jason Kendall Chest Protector...and now Griffey Swingman's. I'm not seeking their value to sell, I'm looking to see if their worth getting autographed. I have a friend who worked for Nike, I showed him and he said he's never seen them...he's going to find out more about them. Thank you for the thorough answers. Cheers!

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin

Nike is definitely still going to continue to with the Griffey Jr. brand. They actually have two new Griffey shoes releasing later this month. It may be surprising but his shoes actually sell fairly well.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I have a friend who worked for Nike, I showed him and he said he's never seen them...he's going to find out more about them. Thank you for the thorough answers. Cheers!

Tell him I can get him a stack of around 40 of them if he is interested.

Members online

Latest posts