Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HUGE PC pickup with a backstrory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
So, I took the years 2000-08 off of collecting to go to high school and college. However, while at my fine alma mater, I found we had the beginnings of a tremendous baseball program, and that some of my classmates (and freshman hallmates) had professionally done baseball cards. So, my first purchase since 2000 was a 2007 USA UD set, hunting for David Price, Casey Weathers and Pedro Alvarez cards. I was lucky enough to pull a Price, which is still in my PC.

Fast forward a year and that is still pretty much my only card purchase. I think I bought a Pedro and Weathers auto, but that was probably it. However, while surfing ebay during my grad school years in MKE, I came across a card signed by all 3 and our coach, Tim Corbin. I followed the auction, but as soon as it went above $50, I decided it was too rich for my blood, and there are probably tons of the cards. I go get wings instead, haha.

Well, 4.5 years pass and I've only ever seen the card again twice--both times for BIN/BOs that are way out of my price range. One was $400, the other $4000 (though free shipping). Over those years I've become a much bigger VU card guy, especially the high end stuff. I made an offer of $250 to the $400 guy, but was auto declined. I debated selling off some high end prospects early in order to get it, but decided against it, year after year.

Then, for some reason, on the 9th (my birthday), I decide to see if there are any good cards of my PC guys on COMC. Then, I see it. for $99.99. Me being me, I decide to make an offer of $90, then wait all of five minutes to say "screw ten bucks, I'll just buy the damn thing".

Five days later, here it is. I honestly never thought I'd get one given their scarcity and the prices they command.

3 Commodore legends and a first round pick...
4Dores_zpse53b7905.jpg

All on card, all certified, with the embossed stamp on the top. Tim Corbin's only certified auto, and the nice early version sigs of David and Pedro.

The only time this will leave my possession is when if I send it to BGS to get slabbed.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Thanks guys. Better scan will come later.

Any other college coaches have certified autos?

Members online

Latest posts