Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unbelievable Gift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandomH

My girlfriend’s dad is a big Cincinnati sports nut. He’s a really great guy and we always talk about sports, mainly baseball. As a lifelong diehard Cubs fan and their family being all hardcore Reds fans it’s not easy talking sports at there house! We sometimes jokingly clash and I usually end up with my tail between my legs trying to somehow justify the current team we have. We recently went to a Reds vs Cubs game and I nearly caught a Scott Feldman HR. The Cubs still managed to lose.

Anyway, we recently went out to dinner and we were talking about baseball cards and how he’s devastated that his mom threw his away back in the day. He seemed really interested in cards and thought it was really cool I collected. He kept asking me questions about cards to the dismay of my girlfriend and her mom who seemed to just be overloaded with card talk lol. Anyway like two weeks later I’m back at their house and we’re watching TV. My girlfriend kind of disappears for a while and calls my name. She hands me a padded mailer and says that her dad got this for me. She says he got this for me and she has no idea what it is. I had no idea and was totally kind of caught off guard, 2 seconds before I was watching restaurant impossible. I open it really confused and out comes this:

3Za8hwr.jpg

Instantly, I recognized what it was and seriously almost fainted. I couldn’t even speak. A freaking 1954 Topps Ernie Banks PSA 4 rookie card! Seriously, I could have never even imagined owning such a piece in my collection. It’s such a beautiful card and the colors are so vibrant and nice. I’m going to hold on to this card forever and It will totally now be the jewel in my card collection.

The funniest thing ever was how my girlfriend had no idea why I was acting so weird. Her dad sighed with relief when I thanked him seeing how I liked it. Such a generous awesome gift and I thought I would show the card and the story with you guys. I apologize for the crappy pic, my scanner has recently been all screwed up.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
It's nice when folks have an understanding of what makes card collectors tick; it's rare to get a totally fitting hobby gift from someone not in the hobby. It's also rare for a girlfriend's dad to like the boyfriend so much to buy them a Banks rookie...you're in.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
And to the above point about how rare it is to get such a good hobby-related gift, I'll second that. My wife's parents for Christmas got me an 800 count box full of 80s and 90s junk wax, probably off the home shopping network or something. I appreciated the gesture though and held on to them, and now my kids have fun opening them. My 4 1/2 year old has a pretty sweet collection of 92 Leaf cards and 91 Fleer Ultra. (sorry to threadjack)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Awesome!

In line with the "keeper" comments, I'll throw something a little deeper out there. As others have mentioned many "non-hobby" people have a hard time getting an appropriate hobby gift. The reason (in my mind) is that finding such a gift involves more than just saying, "I know he likes cards, I'll get him a gift" and requires "I know he likes cards, and I want to get him a gift, let me learn what sort of cards would be a good gift." In this case he had some knowledge which definitely helped, but searching for a specific card on a specific team shows an element of caring that is not all that common (and a lesson for us on how to buy a good gift).

Enjoy the card and relationship (and since he's been reminiscing, maybe pick up something for him at an appropriate time.)

RandomH

Thanks for all the comments guys.
To clarify, the guy is a chief operator at a software company. I mean I guess they are wealthy, but that doesn't really matter a lot to me. I just honestly like hanging out with her whether it's seeing a movie or playing board games. It's not like I am dating her because I knew a Mr. Cub RC was coming my way lol.

Bunchofbull- You have no idea how relieved I was when I learned he wasn't one of those crazy fathers. We kind of built a good relationship overtime.

Michaelstepper- It's seriously the FUNNIEST thing when I see her get annoyed with sports/card talk. To the point where she occasionally pinches me or gives me a dirty look and the topic changes to something like the weather...

Topnotchy- He told me that he originally wanted to get me another one, but it was "MC" and he learned that that wasn't the best so he got the other one. I totally agree, the amount of detail and effort he went into looking is awesome and admirable. He's a really good guy. Definitely gonna try to grab him something soon.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Fantastic gesture. Now let me ask what's on every other single guys mind.... Does your girlfriend have a sister????

Members online

Latest posts