Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Old School vs New School: The Player Collecting Paradigm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Won these two cards at auction about the same time, on the same night for about the same price delivered (approx. $10 each)
Just thought it was interesting, the difference, thought I'd share:
Old School

New School

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Just imagine how much more you would have had to pay to get your collection if he was a Dodger, Yankee, Cardinal, Red Sock :O

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I like new school in this case - you actually have an item in-hand instead of a potentially worthless IOU if it were a current product (in the case you presented, worthless because it's expired).. ;)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I like new school in this case - you actually have an item in-hand instead of a potentially worthless IOU if it were a current product (in the case you presented, worthless because it's expired).. ;)
:lol: Yes! Redemptions were looks upon SO much differently in 1998! And I honestly would have had no interest in the expired redemption until the last few years. Now I am uniquely excited...I have a thin piece of paper numbered to 60 with Tony Gwynn's name on it from 1998, compared to a Jumbo jersey, numbered to only 10 (10/10= Ebay 1/1) and I am split on which I like better...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Now I am uniquely excited...I have a thin piece of paper numbered to 60 with Tony Gwynn's name on it from 1998,

thinking about it, looks like you did great buying that expired redemption - it may well be a "1/1" so to speak - collectors back then had to send in the card for redemption so it's not in their collections, plus collectors who pulled it after the redemption expiration probably tossed the redemption card away because it was worthless.
I think it's also cool in that it was a card that was printed on the printing press so it should stay in good visual appearance for a long time. The Topps, UD and Panini redemption cards I kept after registering the code online is already starting to fade just like old cash register receipts -- the redemption sticker onto a card stock and the register receipts all being printed on thermal paper with a thermal printer printhead and I guess thermal paper is not stable over more than a year or two.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I like the 98 redemption card better. Here is an auto redemption I never sent in for Andre Dawson. The auto was /86 so I wonder what they did with the extra auto card.
hawk8-albums-andre-dawson-picture20522-001.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Maybe I'm dim, but what's the comparison made that is so relevant?
Same player, same price, same day, same time, both in EBay, both sports cards, both bought, both paid for, both in my collection, both numbered, both cool, both from "high end" products, yet one is old school (1998) and one Is new school (2013). As a player collector it's very interesting to me. Thought I'd share. Not really a big deal...

Members online

Latest posts