Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Set Spotlight.......1973 Topps baseball A plain set that is more than meets the eye!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
The 1973 Topps baseball set holds a special place in my heart as this was the first set of trading cards I was exposed to as a nine year old child. I cannot remember where I was when I first saw them but once I did I knew I couldn’t get enough of these card board gems, dusted with gum residue and the faces of my heroes staring back at me. I can remember buying pack after pack that summer and using all the money I earned from grass cutting to buy a candy bar and as many packs as I could afford. I thought I hit the mother load when, in the fall of that year I saw a full box of the high series cards marked .10 cents a pack at my local Five and Dime. I didn’t have enough money to buy them all and I remember begging my mom to “loan” me the money so that I could own the whole box. I would eventually get the coveted packs but I remember doing extra chores to pay off my moment of impulse.

The 1973 baseball set has been described by many as bland and boring with its lack of interesting designs and boring player silhouettes on the front of each card. When compared to the psychedelic design of the previous year there is no doubt this set pales in appearance. But what it lacks in looks it makes up for interesting collector pursuits and tougher to find high series rookie cards of some of the game’s best and greatest. This set also boasts a great crop of clean action photos that enhance the sets collectability.

For starters, this set features the final cards of baseball greats Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. The Clemente card is somewhat bittersweet as one only wonders how many more years Topps would have been able to produce card board images of the Pirates outfielder had he not been killed in an airplane crash the previous winter. This set also features the first cards of Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt and Rich Gossage with rookie cards of other of the game’s best players from that era such as Dwight Evans and Buddy Bell.

In the early days of sports cards, Topps issued their cards in a series with new cards being released at regular intervals throughout the summer. Each series typically consisted of 132 cards and were highly anticipated by collectors. Issuing cards in a series helped to keep demand for the product high as kids chased the new series every four weeks to complete their sets. The last series was normally printed in lesser quantities each year as the demand for new cards normally slowed down as the baseball season would draw to a close. 1973 was no exception to this rule but this season would be the last that Topps would offer its cards in the series format. Card numbers 529-660 are considered high numbers and will command a premium over the other cards in this set as they were printed in lesser quantities. A large majority of the high numbers contain rookie cards that feature three player photos on one card and is where you will find the crown jewel of this set, the Mike Schmidt rookie card.

What this set lacks in style it makes up for in action photos. I have always thought the Henry Aaron card was one of the coolest cards in the set and the Reggie Jackson being an intriguing, yet odd photo. Check out the photo of Johnny Bench. While the photo may show him going after a foul pop up with his back towards the camera, the feeling of action just jumps right off of this card. Does he make the catch? Does he tumbled into the dugout area? And who is the Giant’s player who is making no effort to help Mr. Bench?

The set also contains an all-time great sub set where you can see the likenesses of Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig and many other greats of yesteryear mixed in which photos of current stars. Card number one is a subset unto itself in that it celebrates the fact the Henry Aaron was on the brink of overtaking Babe Ruth for the all-time home run crown. This card also featured the top three round trip hitters of all time in Ruth, Aaron and Mays of this all-important first card. There is a premium value on this card if found nicely centered and with great corners. Besides being the first card in the set which typically will be one of the most damaged cards due to youngsters using rubber bands to hold their stacks together, the card features baseball’s most iconic power hitters together.
This set also has a Boyhood Photos subset in which a number of players from that year had a large photo of themselves as little leaguers on the front with a much smaller photo near the corner of the player in present day. There are also the League Leaders sub set as well as the post season recap cards that chronicle the Oakland Athletics eventual run to the World Series championship.

One of the downfalls of this set is that it seems to have been made of inferior paper when compared to previous Topps sets. This fact makes it tough to complete in higher conditions but this has not slowed down collectors. Player selection, action photography, decent rookie cards and a high number challenge have all enticed collectors even 40 years after its issue. To me, this set represents a different time and takes me back to that nine year old boy who couldn’t find enough lawns in the neighborhood to mow in order to buy those high series packs. Do a search on Google or even Ebay and check this set out. It is an affordable and rewarding set to assemble and one I am sure you won’t regret putting together for yourself. With great rookies and the last cards of some of the game’s all-time best, it is a set that screams “collect me”.

Courtesy of COMC.com

Courtesy of COMC.com

Courtesy of COMC.com

Courtesy of COMC.com

Courtesy of COMC.com

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Great write up. The first card I thought of at the title was the Bizzaro Reggie. The Clemente shot seems cutting edge for '73. And I always loved my Fisk Rookie Cup

Edit- was the first appearance of the "modern" Topps All-Star Rookie cup logo

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It's kinda cool that you spotlited two of my Favorite cards from the set. I always thought this set had more actions shot than previous sets with "Fungo" shots.

Like Andy, I always thought the side/back angle pic on the Clemente made it a bit ahead of its time.

Also, the Aaron shows a rare fielding pic and the background suggests it's from the "Vet", the dump I went to Phillies games in as a yute.

I think you do have to mention the numerous horrendous mis-cuts when discussing the grading too...

mchenrycards

It's kinda cool that you spotlited two of my Favorite cards from the set. I always thought this set had more actions shot than previous sets with "Fungo" shots.

Like Andy, I always thought the side/back angle pic on the Clemente made it a bit ahead of its time.

Also, the Aaron shows a rare fielding pic and the background suggests it's from the "Vet", the dump I went to Phillies games in as a yute.

I think you do have to mention the numerous horrendous mis-cuts when discussing the grading too...

There is no doubt there are a huge amount of miscuts in this set. I am a stickler for centering and the three times I have put this set together I almost pulled every hair out of my head trying to find centered cards. Between the centering and inferior paper used to print these cards, this set has proven to be a challenge to complete. Not an impossible challenge but a challenge none the less.

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I am a stickler for centering and the three times I have put this set together I almost pulled every hair out of my head trying to find centered cards. Between the centering and inferior paper used to print these cards, this set has proven to be a challenge to complete. Not an impossible challenge but a challenge none the less.

So, I'm guessing you never completed the 1975 set? :lol:

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
Thanks for the write up on this. I too have just completed this set a few months ago. Being a collector back then, I was a little less of a stickler on condition, as most of my original cards were destroyed by not only the rubber band but by stuffing them in my back pocket every time I went out.

Which set is next on your list to review?

Thanks,

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Woo hoo- great read and memories!! I love the silouette (sp?) icons on the front bottom of the card and the neon coloring of the lettering and circle. I started collecting in '74 so the '73 set has always been on my list to go back and complete. I have full sets '74 to late '80s but not '73. I have many of the stars but not the set. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.....

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
That was one I bough near complete, but one of the nicer sets of the decade imo. My favorite though is the 1971. Next on the list after set in my sig will be 1970. Slowly working backwards now...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The 71 set really started the great action shots. Some consider them bad photography, because often you have so many players on a card that you can't tell who the player featured is, but I love them. it was a such a great break from the batting practice poses or portraits that cards had essentially been for years.

I take it a step further and try to get all of the great shots signed. Those 70s action shots are some of my favorite cards of all time and 1973 has more than its fair share of them.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Nice writeup - love posts like these. Thanks for your solid contributions to this board - including your photos of the day.

My favorite 73 card is Willie Stargell. He was my favorite when I first started collecting in 1980, and I remember discovering this card later on and loving the vertical format action photo.

145727.jpg

There were many great vertical action shots in 1973 that made the set extra cool.

Scott.jpg

bobby-bonds-1973-topps-145-san-francisco-giants-2c484e4e22d04760fed133a047581cc3.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2008
Thanks for bringing attention to the first set I put together as a kid. Because of that, I've picked up some signed cards as well as got some cards signed TTM.

mchenrycards

I thought I would bump this thread from nearly three years ago because I have decided to undertake the process of piecing this 660 card set one card at a time. While it may not make the most financial sense for me, it will certainly be a labor of love. I do intend to make a post so that those who do care about vintage cards can track how I am doing. I do this also to encourage other set builders to post their sets that they are working on, vintage or shiny, so that we can see some cards that make not be shown much. I encourage all set collectors to get scanning and show us what you have.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Do you have any cards to start or are you doing this from card 1? It's funny, as I have seen card images so often with ebay and such that I start to think I have certain cards, but then go look and find that I do not have them. I was never much for commons in sets before I started buying them in packs, such as 73, so the big majority of cards I have would be fan favorites, semis and stars. I would have a hard time going back and buying commons unless I could get a nice jump from some big lots.

Good Luck on your pursuit. I'll try to keep an eye out on the progress, especially for those horizontal action shots!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Well written thanks! It is like taking a time machine to go back and feel what is would be like to buy packs at a dime each.

The cost card I thought of was the odd photography selection for reggie.

mchenrycards

Do you have any cards to start or are you doing this from card 1? It's funny, as I have seen card images so often with ebay and such that I start to think I have certain cards, but then go look and find that I do not have them. I was never much for commons in sets before I started buying them in packs, such as 73, so the big majority of cards I have would be fan favorites, semis and stars. I would have a hard time going back and buying commons unless I could get a nice jump from some big lots.

Good Luck on your pursuit. I'll try to keep an eye out on the progress, especially for those horizontal action shots!

I have had probably about 50 or so I grabbed over the years in collections I had purchased as a card shop owner. I always knew I was going to attempt to put set together again someday so I tried to keep the best of what I had so I have had a bit of a head start. I thought about starting at card one and working my way forward but that would probably drive me crazy so I am using the shotgun method to collecting in that I grab whatever I can at the time at a price I can afford.

I have found a few sellers online that sell commons and stars in nrmt+ condition for a price I find to be acceptable. The funny thing is that the commons are the cards I remember most out of this set. I scrolled through Ebay the other day and could name almost ever player without even seeing the names. Yes, I was that devoted to this set. LOL

Again, not breaking the back on this one but just looking for a way to bring back the childlike collecting memories and each card I obtain does exactly that without worry of price, condition, resale value and all of the other stuff us collectors worry about now.

mchenrycards

Well written thanks! It is like taking a time machine to go back and feel what is would be like to buy packs at a dime each.

The cost card I thought of was the odd photography selection for reggie.

From one of the most creative writers on the board, I will take this as a huge compliment.

You are actually one of the reasons why I am making this attempt as you have inspired me to throw aside all reasonable reasons to not do this as I have seen you go for what makes you happy in this hobby and not what makes financial sense. Its been fun to watch you and your work evolve over time.

As for the Reggie card....that is indeed odd photography but it just adds to the uniqueness of this set.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts