Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Thursday January 16, 2014 Getting ready for the season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
One of the memories I took away from my time working for a Major League team was how the ball park seemed to slowly pull out of it's winter sleep around the time spring training started. If there wasnt major projects going on during the winter months it was rare to see anyone but office stay around the park. But ocme February 15 or so, the groundskeepers started to trickle back along with the carpenters to repair seats, The cleaning guys who would clean the park from top to bottom using fire hoses to power wash most anything in sight and the painters who seemed to put a coat of paint on just about anything and everything. Next time you are at Wrigley or any of the other older ball parks, look at the structural beams and notice how many coats of paint seem to be on those beams.

Today's photo of the day took me back to that spring training time for the Stadium Operations people. I can still smell the faint scent of cleaners being overpowered by the stench of a fresh coat of paint. Everywhere we would look would be wet paint signs and if you didnt get a smudge of paint on your clothes well, you probably didnt move from your office chair all that much. I love this picture in that these guys are at the very highest point of Yankee stadium getting the place ready for another great baseball season. This photo was taken in 1957 and the Yankees would see another World Series that year. While the fans still come into those old ball parks and marvel at how great everything looks they have no clue that behind the scenes there are guys like these working stiffs making the place look great and these guys are probably doing it without safety lines as well!!

yankee1957_zpse3221db6.jpg

I thought I would post a photo I took of Wrigley Field in the dead of winter. as I mentioned, I always loved seeing the ball park awake from it's winter sleep to slowly becoming the gem that it really is.

Wrigley_zps3b6f2403.jpg

Members online

Latest posts