Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 8: dano7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Danny, thank you again for you time. It's always good to read a 'mature' collector's thoughts on the hobby, since, in all frankness, the hobby is filled with the younger generations of folks. Thank you again for doing this for the FCB community and sharing your stories and knowledge !

Also, if you have any comments about the format of the interview and the questions, please PM me with suggestions. Only positivity in these threads.

1) When did you start collecting?
I started collecting in 1958, as a 6 year old. I purchased my first baseball cards from the corner store, which was only 3 houses down and I was allowed to walk down there on my own. I purchased the cards for the gum and because I liked the logos on the 58's. I really started collecting seriously in 1960, at which time I bought a lot of 1959 cards that were still around, plus I started on trying to get a complete set for the first time. I didn't make it to a complete set though until the 1961 set.

Why do you collect ? I think I got a collecting gene from my grandmother, who collected coupons, etc in her drawers. I collected baseball, football, non-sports cards, coins and stamps while growing up. I still collect because it brings back lots of pleasant memories from my childhood, checking the stores, trading with the other kids in the neighborhood, etc.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting? The first turning point was Mantle's retirement, which caused me to stop collecting after completing a 1969 set. I lost interest and sold off my entire collection of baseball while I was in college, about 2 years later. Fortunately, I didn't sell my football or non-sports cards. I started buying some baseball again in 1981 when Fleer and Donruss started putting out cards. I put sets together for a couple of years, but then decided to trade those sets for some older football for my collection. I got back in for good in 1987, because I really liked the wood grain Topps set, which brought back memories of the 1962 set.

What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on_____ ?
I've always been a Yankee fan, so I started working on trying to rebuild the Yankee cards that I had as a kid, around 1995. I ended up getting the 1958 - 1969 Yankees and then deciding to put together the entire 1958 set. After that set, it was on to 1959. Now, I have put together complete Topps sets from 1955 - 1965, plus I have the 1969 set. I've also put together the 1955 Bowman set, because I had some of those when young and loved the "TV set" set. I then decided to work on my birth year, of 1951. I've completed the Topps Red & Blue Backs, the Bowman set, the Topps Magic football set and the Bowman football set.

3) What has been the high point in collecting? Completing my first set (1961) as a kid and then re-completing my 1958 set as an adult. Also, obtaining my 1951 and 1952 Mantles were very high points, as I never thought that I'd own either. The low point ? That would have to be selling my cards while in college. I found two Mantles and a Yankee team card in an old wallet at mom's. I carried the wallet, so the cards are worn, but are from my younger years.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret?

There are some who might remember the first 1951 Mantle that I purchased. It shipped and arrived, but the case had been cracked, as it was a PSA 3, that looked much better than a 3. Someone checked the tracking and saw that it had been run over by the post office vehicle, though that was quickly removed from their site. Why didn't it work out ? At any rate, I resolved it with the dealer and got my money back, as they had it insured. I then purchased a SGC 40 Mantle.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?

My favorite has to be my 1952 Mantle, mainly because I didn't think I'd ever be willing to spend the money for one. I saved and finally plopped down $7200 for a PSA 3 card.

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) ? My wife puts up with it, though she thinks it is a waste of money. As long as I use my money from umpiring, selling cards or use my monthly card allowance, she is okay with it. I'm NOT allowed to spread my memorabilia out of my current room, though.

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?
I have had difficulty finding the T 207 Chester Hoff card. It has come up a couple of times in the past 3 years, but I was out bid. The T209 Contentnea cards are VERY difficult to find, as I want to complete a set of the Roanoke players. I have one, so far. I have completed the T210's and the couple of T206 Roanoke players, though.

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? I got to meet Johnny Unitas at a card show in Maryland. We were visiting my in-laws and that I saw that he was at a show about an hour away. I took my young son with me and headed out. I purchased a post card size photo and stood in line to have it signed. When we got close to Johnny, I told my son to go stand close to him so I could take a picture.
Johnny told me to do it right and had Andrew sit on his lap for a picture.

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ? That there is way too much produced. Compared to a Topps set coming out in 7 different series when I was young, it is overwhelming. It also doesn't seem like the hobby is aimed at the kids anymore, which will hurt the hobby in the long run.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting? eBay has helped me find cards at competitive pricing, that I couldn't prior to eBay. The forums at Beckett and now exclusively here help me connect with other collectors. Everyone here is a good resource of information and so many are willing to help you any way they can. It is truly a community here.

How have they hurt ? I really can't think of any way that they have hurt, unless I said that I spend too much time on here sometimes.

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ? I have had stiff competition on the T207 Hoff card. Most of the time, if you are patient you can find what you are looking for at a fair price. Older Yankee cards have many followers, though.

How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ? I try to check daily, just in case one has popped up.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ? Not at all. I guess I remember my mistake while in college and don't want to repeat that. I guess if I REALLY needed cash, I'd sell some.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Many have given me encouragement, sent me auction links and been supportive over the years. There have been some who have sent me cards for my set, without any expectation of compensation. There have been and still are many great people on the board. The annual birthday group (to be started up again next year) and the Secret Santa's are a fun way to help out others with their collections, also. We really do have a great group of people here, though their are sometimes disagreements. Overall, this is a GREAT place and I thank all who help make it possible, as they don't get enough thanks or recognition. We just tend to expect it.

With all of that said, I didn't even mention my TTM (through the mail) collection and Yankee autograph collection. I've always liked autographs, but after sending to Jeter in 1996 and getting a successful return, I was hooked. I didn't rub down the first card well, as I didn't even know to at that time.
So, I sent one of the one of the 8x10 Studio cards (loved that set).

When it came back, I started going after Yankees, then many others. I'm currently at 496 different Yankee players (includes minor leaguers) and 6408 total baseball autographs (including pack pulled, TTM and IP). It is really my hobby within the bobby right now and it keeps me very interested. I have a contest to guess when my 500th Yankee will arrive, if you want to enter.

Special thanks to all of you who give support, knowledge and camaraderie on this site!
DANNY

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Great selection, Dave! I've been hoping Danny would show up in this series. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your collection!

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Thanks for the great read Danny.
Love the Ttm jeter and your take on set collecting. It had to be more fun then, trying to complete a set then now days with the variations and sp's
Seeing your progress on vintage sets has inspired me to take up the hunt one day.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Danny,

I am super jealous of that 96 Topps Jeter, even with the bubbled signature. If you decide to part with it, let me know. I have been collecting the Topps All rookie team set (autographed) for many years, although maintaining it currently is a discouraging matter. Nobody seems to get the Topps trophy cards signed much these days and the players are all instantly expensive! That Jeter has always been a glaring hole in my run, along with the White Whale of all trophy cards, the 71 Munson. Toss in a few other toughies like Ichiro and the set is something I'll never reach 100% on, but it was fun to try.

I enjoy following your team set and autograph posts, because my collecting interests mirror yours somewhat, except for me it's the Dodgers!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
If baseball card collecting had a Lifetime Achievement Award, Danny wins! Just a fantastic, PURE, collection!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is my favorite one yet! I love the pictures, especially the Mantles that were in his wallet.
Pictures should be mandatory for all of these Collector's Corner Showcase interviews.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
Great read! This was an awesome showcase. Amazing collection, I love the 51 Mantle!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Somehow or another I missed this when it was posted. Thanks to all of you for your kind and encouraging comments.
At 62, I hope to have at least another 30 years of collecting in me.
DANNY

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Danny - I missed this when it was new (I was on vacation). I am glad it got bumped.

Great read and congrats on the success.

Latest posts