Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First Box Opened In 9 years + '99 Finest Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
Hello all! Quick background story - growing up as a kid baseball cards were my life. Even through high school & college when other kids were out partying I was home sorting through my cards. In 2005 I had the first of 5 surgeries I would have in a 7 year span. The last surgery called "lateral ankle stabilization & tendon repair" (2012) was finally successful - but my life took some wrong turns along the way and even after finally having a successful surgery I had some darkness in my life I couldn't get out. I finally got my stuff together around last thanksgiving and when I got myself a new job I started getting back into cards to reward myself for living the right way after a long period that I'd rather forget about. Much to my surprise - my PC Albert Belle has been inserted back into Topps products the past few years. The past few months I've added a ton of rare Belle cards as well as collecting some of my favorite insert sets from my childhood - I'm up to over 30 of the 98 crusades, I've collected the 91-98 donruss elite sets, the 93-97 pinnacle team pinnacle sets, the 94 flair hot glove set, the 94 leaf gold stars set and the 95 leaf statistical standouts set. I've started to collect all things Cleveland Indians (pretty cheap thankfully LOL) and added Josh Hamilton as a secondary PC as well.

Today was the perfect storm for buying my first box of cards in 9 years. It is my birthday and it also payday so I figured what the heck why not? I went to a local shop and dropped $90 on a box of Topps Finest. I was wondering how I did? I got two autographs - Alexander Guerrero #'d/50 & an unnumbered Wilmer Flores. I got 16 refractors in the box including Billy Hamilton and Tananka. Only one refractor was #'d (David Wright.) I wasn't too impressed and I could of gotten a lot of stuff for my Belle/Tribe/Hamilton PC with $90 but hey it was fun. Also another question - I've had this card for 15 years now - and I have no idea what it is. It came out of a box of 99 Finest - It is all black and I can barley make out the stance and the name but it is a "Peel and Reveal" Ken Griffey Jr. card - except it is all black. I have no idea what it is and can't find any information in beckett about it. I'd take a picture but its hard to even see the details of the card in person an uploaded picture is just going to look like a black square. Anybody have any idea what it is? It's not a printing plate before they started getting inserted into products is it?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The griffey has a black peel, supposed to be like a surprise until you take it off.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Yeah, the Griffey sounds like a Mystery Finest Refractor or something like that.The coating on those are tough to take off, so be delicate with it.Nice looking card once you take it off though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts