Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collections: Is there a player you wish you had collected?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
I started off in the mid 1980's collecting Orel Hershisher back when I was a huge Dodgers fan. Then I moved on to Ken Griffey Jr. which I have been collecting ever since. Is there one player you wish you had started collecting?

Mine is probably Nolan Ryan. I love all of his late 80's early 90's stuff like the Upper Deck with him throwing the football, his no hitter cards etc. I always come across his cards whenever I go through a box and I usually put them aside. I also love historic cards(non players) which depict an event like the Bowman shot heard round the world card or the Score card about the 89 World Series and the earthquake. Anyone else?

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
I didnt really mean second thoughts. I kind of just meant in addition to whoever else you may have collected. I still would have collected Griffey but every once in a while I get the itch to go back and start another collection if you know what I mean. :)

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
No but I wish I would have never started a second player collection. I was never really into the second one and I dumped a lot of money into it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I always liked Shawn Green ad Mike Piazza. But I started collecting Frank Thomas before either guy came up and building two r three collections in addition to my other interests wasn't feasible. I still have a few nice cards of those guys but nothing like what might have been.

Mike Trout of course would have been a good guy to get into but at this point it would be hard to resist selling off and hard to keep acquiring nice stuff. I think I have two Trouts in my whole collection and they average about $200 each.

What at I really wish is for me to have kept my childhood collections intact. I had nearly complete runs of Nolan Ryan,Brooks Robinson (never got a RC), Mike Schmidt, and Steve Carlton, and sold them when I needed cash as a teenager.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I really liked "all" of the Orioles players, so I guess I may of missed being a team collector.

Back in the day I would have liked to collect Johnny Bench and Roberto Clemente as well, but just didn't do it; so one of those two...

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
Ya I mentioned Hershiser. I was pretty young but he was awesome in the mid to late 80's. I collected him until Griffey came along. I had a nice collection but unfortunately he probably ended up mixed up with all my commons.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I was super collecting Will Clark (still am) as we as Matt Williams , Jordan , Jim Kelly , Thurman , Reed and Bruce Smith for a while and it was to overwhelming.

Ryan

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Bagwell was actually my second player. I played second base in little league, so when i started to follow the Astros i actually started with Biggio. As my friends busted wax they gave me all of the Astros. I had collections of Biggio, Bagwell, Bell, Caminiti, Kile, Reynolds, Wagner... But Bagwell had more cards. Soon, Bagwell became the prominent part of the collection, and after he won MVP, his card numbers increased dramatically and that sealed the deal on him becoming THE main part of my collection. After i moved to idaho i cleaned out the local shop of Bagwells, and added to the Biggio pc as well as started a Berkman collection. Now they both sit stagnant. I stopped collecting Berkman once he left the Astros, and i stopped collecting Biggio once i sold Nick a solid chunk of it. Now its just Bagwell, well, mostly, but from time to time i stock up on some new Hunter Pence pieces since he is my fav current player on the Giants.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
When I started collecting Roberto Kelly and Hensley Meulens back in 1988-89, I had also started collecting Jay Buhner (hoping to score with a Yankees prospect). I somewhat regret having let the Buhner collection fizzle once he had been in Seattle for a couple of years. Seems like that would have been a really fun guy to collect.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I kinda wish I had done both a batter and a pitcher. There were a lot of 90's inserts centered around pitchers that I missed out on. I think Maddux would have been my choice, but when he didn't stay with the Cubs, it broke my heart. Looking back though, wish I would have collected him.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I started collecting as a team collector. Built a Bernie pc twice. Once before the divorce and one later. I'm good with just the one player.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I wish I had collected Pence earlier. I was on the fence with him and the great Brandon Wood :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I wish I had collected Pence earlier. I was on the fence with him and the great Brandon Wood :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I once pulled a Brandon Wood gold refractor auto in 03 think it was from bowman draft.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I once pulled a Brandon Wood gold refractor auto in 03 think it was from bowman draft.

I still have one, that card WAS a fantastic card at one point. I still have most of my stuff of his because I refuse to just give it away. I'll pick up something of his every now and then

Members online

Latest posts