Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

An Ode to the Upper Deck MVP Brand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Well, it took 13 years, but I finally found the last card I needed to complete the Upper Deck MVP run for my PC. So to mark the occasion, let's take a look back at the tepid, largely forgettable UD MVP brand (apologies to any UD MVP lovers out there). I know I'm ignoring inserts and GU - but they too were mostly undistinguished.

UD MVP debuted with a 220 card set in 1999. A low-end product, 10 card packs had a SRP of $1.59. 1999 was the last year for UD's low-end Collector's Choice brand, and MVP became its heir-apparent. There are a lot of similarities between Choice and MVP, notably brite-white card stock and white borders. Base set parallels included Silver Script and hobby-only Gold Script (100 copies) and Super Script (25 copies). With a high print run, finding the parallels became a true challenge for player collectors - a defining characteristic of the brand for years to come.

99UDMVP.jpg
99UDMVPSILVER.jpg
99UDMVPGOLD.jpg
99UDMVPSUPERSCRIPT.jpg

Virtually the same game plan in 2000: 220 card set; white borders; silver, gold and super parallels - the only difference being gold parallels got harder to find with only 50 copies instead of 100. Supers remained at 25 copies.

00UDMVP.jpg
00UDMVPSILVER.jpg
00UDMVPGOLD.jpg
00UDMVPSUPERSCRIPT.jpg

Gone are the white borders replaced by black and gray. The set grew to 330 players. Pack size went down to 8 cards. But the real shocker was no tough parallels to chase. 2001 UD MVP was weak and forgettable. I refuse to write another word about it.

01UDMVP.jpg

The lackluster 2001 MVP effort hurt enthusiasm for the brand, and the 300 card 2002 UD MVP offering didn't do anything dramatic to revive it. It did reintroduce silver (100 copies) and gold (25 copies) parallels, but that was about it. This product sat on shelves in card shops with nothing to recommend it - unopened boxes can still be found with relative ease. For that reason, finding the parallels is a tough proposition for player collectors. The gold parallel eluded me for 12 years and was the last MVP card I needed. As of this writing, there are no 2002 UD MVP Gold Parallels listed on eBay.

02UDMVP.jpg
02UDMVPSILVER.jpg
02UDMVPGOLD25.jpg

Phoning it in, 2003 marked the final entry in the UD MVP brand. It was issued as a 220 card set in retail form, but with 110 additional cards for a total of 330 in the factory set. Parallels included silver, gold (125 copies) and black (50 copies). Interestingly, both Beckett and SCD guides list gold parallels at 150 copies, despite the obvious numbering on front to 125 copies. This set is so boring that for 12 years no one has bothered to fix the error.

03UDMVP.jpg
03UDMVPSILVER.jpg
03UDMVPGOLD.jpg
03UDMVPBLACK.jpg

Bonus Fact:
1999 UD Century Legends featured 1/1 "Century MVP" cards done, for unexplained reasons, in the 1999 UD MVP style. This created confusion in later years as to which set they belonged to... Century Legends or MVP. The correct answer is Century Legends.

99gracemvp.jpg

Feel free to show off any of your UD MVP cards in this thread!

Last edited:

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I've actually always had a bit of attachment to this set - 1999 UD MVP came out right when I was getting into collecting and I remember buying a bunch of packs at a Sports Authority.

Overall, nothing remarkable as you mentioned, but for some reason I've always liked it for it's simplicity and fairly easy to complete rainbow. I also love the '03 Grace, features a picture from his very memorable pitching appearance. Still searching for the Superscript from 1999 of Jay Bell!

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I was under the impression that the 1999 Century MVP 1/1s were inserted into the 1999 Century Legends packs as a way to drum up interest for the forthcoming 1999 UD MVP set.

Also, 2002 UD MVP is actually a 301 card set, as UD added #301 Kaz Ishii late.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Mixed memories of this product for me.

The original mvp brand (collectors choice) got me back into the hobby in early 95.

Then one of these mvp issues Got me spending money on boxes solely because the odds for game used was like every 3 or 4 boxes, then un heard of.

Then I got taken at a show by a dealer who was selling"sealed" boxes for super super cheap.

Didn't realize until I got home that it was generic wrap.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Great background and story buddy! Curious as I always am in these situations on how you acquired the final card, the 2002 UD Gold.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff - Sadly, no great story. One just finally got listed on eBay last night. Only twist was that it was listed at $60 BIN. Way too high I thought. I contacted seller and explained my Grace collecting passion, and showed him my website. Fortunately he was a great guy that also respected player collectors (as he had two player PCs), and sold it to me for less than 1/2 asking price.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Been looking for a '99 Gold and the '02 Silver and Gold for forever. It makes me hate these crappy sets even more!

Question: were there really 2000 MVP Previews produced? Anyone have one?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Jeff - Sadly, no great story. One just finally got listed on eBay last night. Only twist was that it was listed at $60 BIN. Way too high I thought. I contacted seller and explained my Grace collecting passion, and showed him my website. Fortunately he was a great guy that also respected player collectors (as he had two player PCs), and sold it to me for less than 1/2 asking price.

That's awesome that he was willing to budge! I know the feeling-recently saw a 05 SPX SuperScripts Lance Niekro /15 pop up on eBay and jumped all over it even thought I felt it was to high. For a card I had never seen after 10 years, it feels good to cross a long lost one off the list!

Thanks,
Jeff

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
The 01 and 02 sets were mostly forgotten from my mind. I never liked the 03 set because the stripe of color on the side for parallels seems like a minimum effort by the designer. I always like the 99 and 00 sets for their simple design and straight-forward parallels.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Cool thread, thanks for sharing. '99 UD MVP was one of my favorite sets when I started collecting.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Love the Autos............. Was Really Bummed when the[h=1]2005 Upper Deck MVP Signatures #KG Ken Griffey Jr./36 * EXCH[/h]was never Produced

griffey05mvp.jpg

2005MVPPic.jpg

bmx807

Aug 7, 2008
I have great memories of UD mvp. My first ever pack pulled auto was from a retail blaster of mvp from target. It was either 1999 or 2000 and it was a Preston wilson /25. Not really a great card but as a kid it was huge. The set is really underrated. I bought an 1999 Arod superscript for $30 8 years ago through auction in ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts