Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Reemergence of Strasburg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Dude has been on fire and lights out as of late. Is he finally healthy and we are seeing what the hype in 2010 was all about, or has this just been a lucky stretch of games for him.

His stuff has looked electric and next level over the past 6 or 7 starts. Unhittable in most senses.

I would love to see him make it to the post season this year.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Dude has been on fire and lights out as of late. Is he finally healthy and we are seeing what the hype in 2010 was all about, or has this just been a lucky stretch of games for him.

i'd say a lucky stretch, plus being fresh because he's been on the shelf at least two times that I can think of and missed some starts that make him fresher later in the season. I have a feeling Strasburg will be the pitching equivalent of troy tulowitzki - you think for stretches that they're over health issues and then BAM. I remember Tulo a few weeks ago -- some TV announcers talking how tulo may actually have a healthy season this year and reach some stat and games played levels this season that he hasn't reached very often in his career and the next day he's injured and out for the season as if the tv announcers were jinxing him.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
His stuff has looked electric and next level over the past 6 or 7 starts. Unhittable in most senses.
Eh, his last three starts have been excellent with double digit Ks, but he was terrible four games ago, letting up 7 hits and 4 runs in only 4 innings, with only 3 Ks. Although he's been good overall since coming off the DL.

But his 3.81 era isn't going to draw much attention at the end of the season.
And he turns 28 next season and gets hurt every year, so trust by investors/collectors and any major hobby interest in him is pretty much dead.

I hope he recovers though because it's sad watching such a talent go down with injuries year after year.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Eh, his last three starts have been excellent with double digit Ks, but he was terrible four games ago, letting up 7 hits and 4 runs in only 4 innings, with only 3 Ks. Although he's been good overall since coming off the DL.

But his 3.81 era isn't going to draw much attention at the end of the season.
And he turns 28 next season and gets hurt every year, so trust by investors/collectors and any major hobby interest in him is pretty much dead.

I hope he recovers though because it's sad watching such a talent go down with injuries year after year.

Since his return from the DL on June 23, he has pitched in 11 games, going 7-2 with a 1.99 ERA and 90 Ks over 68 innings pitched, while only walking 10.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The biggest lesson I've learned in speculation in the last few years is that "living up to the hype" is a two-way street. It's true that Strasburg hasn't put together a CYA season yet, let alone one that ranks up there with the best of Koufax, Maddux, or Pedro. But why was he expected to? Consider the quality of the hype-makers, who, as a group, have a batting average lower than the worst bust you can imagine. The echo chamber of baseball card boards and hot stove leagues is worse than the stock market.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stras has another catastrophic injury and turns into Mark Prior. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he enters a five-year period where he settles down, figures out how to simply pitch better with his tools rather than just trying to overwhelm hitters.

Members online

Latest posts