Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Andy Van Slyke throws Cano under the bus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In the third segment of his radio appearance, he started off by saying the Dodgers’ highest-paid player — implying*Clayton Kershaw — told L.A.’s general manager to get rid of Yasiel Puig. Van Slyke’s son, Scott, is an outfielder for the Dodgers.

Van Slyke was then asked about Jason Heyward and where he would hit him, but he started talking about lineup protection and he mentioned Cano and Nelson Cruz.

Then he just kept rolling into talking about the Mariners. He*pretty much skewered his former*organization, specifically Cano, labeling him as the reason for the team’s failures and the firings of general manager Jack Zduriencik and McClendon, and by extension the coaching staff.

Here’s a partial transcript:

Van Slyke: “In Seattle, we had (Nelson) Cruz, who was probably the most dominant hitter that I’ve ever personally seen for four months and Cano hitting in front of him. So you would think that Cano would have had a terrific year. But he had probably the worst single year of an every day player that I’ve ever seen in 20 years at the big league level.”

Host: “How did that happen?”

Van Slyke: “He was just the most awful player I’ve ever seen.”

Host: “It wasn’t work ethic. He tries.”

Van Slyke: “He does sometimes.”

Host: “So what happened there, so much promise for your club after you and Lloyd McClendon joined two years ago. What happened last year?”

Van Slyke: “Well our bullpen blew up. Fernando Rodney was horrible. He blew nine of the first 18 chances. Your highest paid, supposedly best player – I mean Robbie’s not a bad guy, let me say that before I say anything bad about how he played.

But Robinson Cano was the single worst third-place, every-day player I’ve ever seen – I’ve ever seen for the first half of a baseball season. He couldn’t drive home Miss Daisy if he tried.

He couldn’t get a hit when it mattered. He played the worst defense I’ve ever seen at second base. I mean I’m talking about the worst defensive second baseman ever – I’ve ever seen in 20 years in the big leagues.

He couldn’t catch the ball. No, I take that back. Any ball that was hit to him was an out. Any ball that he had a chance to turn a double play, he’s still maybe the best in the game today.

He’s got a great arm. But I’m telling you, Frank:*Robinson Cano cost the GM his job. The hitting coach got fired because of Cano. And the manager and the coaches got fired because of Cano. That’s how much impact he has on the organization. He was the worst player and it cost people their jobs in the process.”

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Nothing he said was too off base. I mean, he hit very well at the end of the year (last 3 months) when they were already out of it. But between his horrendous start, and the brutal bullpen, the team never got off the ground. The worst part about Cano was his baserunning errors, and Van Slyke never even brought that up!
No bus to be thrown under here. Van Slyke was just reporting the facts.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Yeah, a bit of an exaggeration on Cano. Van Slyke is the type that likes to hear himself speak. Like most other blowhard sports bloggers, he likes to talk smack to get any attention.

No mention of Cano's health issues. No doubt an off-year, his numbers were certainly not horrible.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"But he had probably the worst single year of an every day player that I’ve ever seen in 20 years at the big league level.”

Van Slyke is an exaggerating blowhard.

Cano hit .287 with 21 homers and 79 rbi, a solid season.
He was in poor health the first half and still hit .251, then hit .331 after the All-Star break.
He led the Mariners in hits, was second to Cruz in WAR, rbi, OPS and third in homers.

Cano's stats were better than most of Van Slyke's seasons, so if Cano had the worst season ever, Van Slyke must consider himself the worst player of all time.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Van Slyke: “...He played the worst defense I’ve ever seen at second base. I mean I’m talking about the worst defensive second baseman ever – I’ve ever seen in 20 years in the big leagues.

He couldn’t catch the ball. No, I take that back. Any ball that was hit to him was an out. Any ball that he had a chance to turn a double play, he’s still maybe the best in the game today.

He’s got a great arm...

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app
This section has some serious backtracking lol

Members online

Latest posts