Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When A Player Collector Finds THE Superfractor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
..He takes a lot of pictures and writes a (relatively) short story.

In late 2013 I revived my interest in collecting Randy Johnson cards. From 2000-2004 I collected his cards on eBay, Yahoo Auctions and the old Beckett collector-to-collector trading platform whose name I cannot recall. As I entered college and became caught up in work my interest in collecting faded, not to mention the glut of releases than started ramping up in 2003/04. When I quit I had around 1,900 unique Johnson cards and maybe 7 or 8 autographs. There were no Superfractors back then and while there were a few 1/1s, I had none.

When I got back in during late 2013 I started by getting all the base singles I had missed in the past 9 years. I picked up a few autographs from the 04-07 era but was kind of let down they were mostly all stickers and insert paper pieces. Also, RJ's presence in new releases pretty much ended in 2009 with only a few cards here and there after that. Then, in 2014, like they were waiting for me, he signed a contract (not sure how long) with Topps and out came a litany of new cards and autographs. They seemed to be in every release but were always short printed. I added more than 20 on-card Randy Johnson autos from 2014 Topps releases (and 20 more from 2015 products).

One of my favorite cards was the 2014 Topps Finest Greats Auto Refractor set. I picked up the first Gold #/50 that popped on eBay. That set became heavily collected and I'm sure you've seen numerous posts of guys who have build the Gold and Red sets. While I generally don't go after all the variations of RJ autographs with the prices they demand, I did with Finest Greats and got the Red #/25 & Atomic #/5. When I saw the Rivera & Schmidt Superfractors from the set I knew that was THE card I had to have. I added it to my signature and searched high & low. eBay gets 11 million searches per hour and I was helping move it up to 12.

Randy Johnson has 12 Superfractors listed in Beckett for TC/BC/Finest base cards 2005-2009. Even if I were to find one of those, my interest in cards with him as a Yankee/Giant aren't high, I'm 99% DBacks/Mariners in my collecting. 2014 Finest Greats is his first and only Superfractor Auto, and he was on it as a Mariner. (2015 Finest subsequently had another FG super auto so now he does have 2, although that one has not surfaced).

2014 Finest released in August 2014 and while the Finest Greats set was highly sought after, most liked the colorful base design but not the fact all the variation refractors were indiscernible. The product didn't seem to be hot for long and more than a year passed with no sight of the RJ Superfractor. I figure it was still in a sealed box somewhere that might never be opened (like we all think about the card we want). I attended the National for the first time ever in 2015 and found the only case of '14 Finest in the building. There is 1 FG auto per case, and I pulled a Schmidt in the first box. Oh well, I tried. But I did make a custom '89 UD Superfractor and he signed it in person at the National. So I had a Superfractor, sort of, but the need for THE Superfractor remained.

Then on January 9th of this year, nearly a year and a half since the product released, this was posted in the 2014 Finest Big Hit Tracker thread:

"My sister bought me three packs of 2014 finest a few days after release. I hit the R.J. greats Superfractor autograph on the first pack! It's in a safety deposit box for now. Not sure what to do with it. - jesse "

My reaction was that A) someone saw my signature and is getting a rise out of messing with me or B) they're trying to scam me. This is about a week after I bought a fake RJ Diamondbacks snakehead patch and was on full alert. But if there was even a 1% chance it was legit, I obviously had to reach out and see. So I message this person and ask for a picture, pretty sure I'll get some "my camera phone is broke but if you PayPal me $1000 I'll mail it to you" scam artist response.

But I didn't. He sent pictures. He had the card. THE card. He pulled it only weeks after release from opening just 3 packs. He found the '14 Finest thread on FCB via Googling and saw my post about looking for the card. A deal was made and today the card arrived. I likely overpaid by a good amount but honestly don't care. While I don't care for prospecting, I do envy the fact that new player collectors can get THE CARD of their guy in Bowman Chrome. To me, this card is his BC Superfractor Auto, and now I have it.

As of this writing I have 4,718 unique Randy Johnson cards; 75 on card autographs, 10 1/1s, 34 sketch cards, 155 refractors and...THE Randy Johnson Superfractor Autograph. I know of 2 or 3 other people that may have a bigger RJ collection that me stat wise, but they can't match that last one. Thank you to Jesse from NH who pulled the card and gave me a fair shot at landing it. If you're in the same boat I was waiting on a card you think will never show, don't give up. Thank you for reading, now look at some pictures.

20160127_171422_zpsgsvlptk8.jpg
20160127_170947_zpsbcx0v75s.jpg

20160127_171032_zpsydujbhfk.jpg

20160127_171733_zpsdfqnbrq4.jpg

20160127_171753_zpsek8uan0n.jpg

20160127_173000_zpsv7ajo7pi.jpg

20160127_171944_zpshgqw20ep.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!

And impressive organization on the binders! Round of applause!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Glad you landed it, I've got a few Clark's I feel I'll never get, but hopefully I get the same luck.

Nice addition sir.

Ryan

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah that is totally badass. Just bought the first 1/1 for my PC the other day. I probably overpaid too, but I'm sure I'll be have a nice giddy feeling when it arrives in the mail.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Very amazing. The fact that you were able to accumulate an additional 2800 cards you didn't already have(while sitting at 1900) in less than 2 1/2 years is in itself outstanding!

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
great job, always good to see a player collector get what they want..

I'm not sure if I mentioned that I have some cards you might want...

ums-rj.jpg

ums-rj1.jpg

I'd have to dig them out and I think I still have them..

Also, did you see this patch card?

up-jo2.jpg

I have this one for my set as well..

up-jo1.jpg

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Dude, soooooo happy to see you finally get this card. An incredible centerpiece to any collection, but there's no place it should be but in your PC. Congrats!

I'm trying to get (at least) one Superfractor of every D-backs player, so Randy is obviously the highest priority on my list that I still need, but I don't imagine I'm ever going to come across one in a Diamondbacks uniform.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Absolutely amazing !! Congrats !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Great job and I want to echo the compliments of others about your organization of your collection!

Fordman

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
Amazing collection and I am envious of the organizational skills you have nicely done.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts