Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT: Elephant in the room!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
I am surprised there has been no mention of the market decline....down 550 points to 8,700 and GM is at its lowest point since 1950.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
muchuckwagon said:
I am surprised there has been no mention of the market decline.
You just joined yesterday, but there have been a bunch of stock market posts on this board over the past two weeks.
Nice to have you on this board. It's always good to have some honest straightshooters who speak their mind like you did on Beckett.
Great avatar, by the way. Bucky!

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
autocut said:
muchuckwagon said:
I am surprised there has been no mention of the market decline....down 550 points to 8,700 and GM is at its lowest point since 1950.

Even with all of that said, gas prices are still up. Price fixing definately.

Gas is down to $2.99 in Columbus, Ohio. You also have to take into consideration refining constraints when talking about gas prices. However, I do agree that prices jump much faster than they decline.

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
Here in central Indiana gas prices are falling below $3 a gallon again. Yippee! I'm pretty sure the big oil companies are still sittin' pretty! Jerks!

I wish I owned a big oil company!

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Frow said:
Gas has dropped to $2.67 here....guess I shouldn't hope for $0.99 gas again or that means the economy is really in the shi....errr outhouse.

While that would be nice, I am sure OPEC will cut production in an effort to stablize prices and curb the decline.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
The research I did and talking to some folks i trust, we thought the bottom for the dow was going to be around 8300 but that may still be too high. Anyway, whatever the bottom is, when it comes, its time to buy in because there is going to be quite a bounce off of that number. This really depends on your tolerance for risk and being able to be long.

The bottom line here is if you need your money in the next year or two, the stock market is not for you.

Also, ince to see you made it MU!

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
phillyfan0417 said:

Thanks...I have been around from time-to-time, stalking everyone.

I moved a large % of my 401k out of stocks months ago and have been buying back in very slowly a little at a time. Over the past two days, I have pushed the last 50% of my 401k back into stocks...I am in stocks 100% as of the close today.

I really thought the bottom was 9,600ish....breaking below 9,000 was a shock to say the least.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
muchuckwagon said:
phillyfan0417 said:

Thanks...I have been around from time-to-time, stalking everyone.

I moved a large % of my 401k out of stocks months ago and have been buying back in very slowly a little at a time. Over the past two days, I have pushed the last 50% of my 401k back into stocks...I am in stocks 100% as of the close today.

I really thought the bottom was 9,600ish....breaking below 9,000 was a shock to say the least.

8300 was my guess but one more piece of bad news and we could hit 8k pretty easily...

slopho

Aug 7, 2008
If you're in your 20's or early 30's this could be the buying opportunity of a lifetime. Do your own DD but let me suggest the following

F
SIRI
BAC
C
RIMM

all at historic lows.

Expect a jump shortly followed by another plunge, then a slow start upwards.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
slopho said:
If you're in your 20's or early 30's this could be the buying opportunity of a lifetime. Do your own DD but let me suggest the following

F
SIRI
BAC
C
RIMM

all at historic lows.

Expect a jump shortly followed by another plunge, then a slow start upwards.
Bingo!

I've had my 401k at the basic interest rate since January, so my losses have been nil. When it finally bottoms out, I am going to put it all into full-on buy mode.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
The market is correcting itself... I honestly expect it to hit the low 7000 before it starts to recover

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
lordsepic said:
The market is correcting itself... I honestly expect it to hit the low 7000 before it starts to recover

I would normally say that you are on crack....but anything is possible. However, I don't see that happening at all.

Kopp

Aug 18, 2008
S&P futures are down -45 vs. fair value...we should/will be down several hundred points shortly after the open...8000 here we come.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
muchuckwagon said:
lordsepic said:

I would normally say that you are on crack....but anything is possible. However, I don't see that happening at all.

I assure you I am not on crack :)... and I understand most people not seeing this happen but I am saying 7200 bottom out... I do of course see up days here and there but things are only going to get worse before they get better. People have little faith and have shown great panic the past 2 weeks and that will continue to cause issues more over the next couple months.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
lordsepic said:
and I understand most people not seeing this happen but I am saying 7200 bottom out... I do of course see up days here and there but things are only going to get worse before they get better.

I think the market is oversold....as noted above, the futures are down and the open will not be pretty. However, there comes a point when people see value in the blue chips and money pours into solid companies that have been beaten down unfairly.

With this in mind, I think a big up tick is just around the corner...either today or early next week that will keep us from dropping below 7,500.

Members online

Latest posts