Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Zimmerman, 30 game streak over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
Even the Giants fans were boo'ing when he was getting intentionally walked. He is 0-2 now with 2 walks. Maybe have 1 more AB today.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
Re: Ouch! Zito Intentionally walks Zimmerman

One of his outs came on a ball 4 pitch. Seemed like he just wanted to give himself a chance for a hit and grounded out.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008

The Giants are chicken-sh@t! I know it loads the bases and gets them the force but they suck and there's no way they're going to the playoffs anyway so why not let the guy hit!

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008

why not, if someones hitting good dont pitch to them if you dont have to, they do it to pujols every single game which is the only reason he will never get that long of a streak, same thing with bonds and so on...

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008

KOBEARODLT said:
why not, if someones hitting good dont pitch to them if you dont have to, they do it to pujols every single game which is the only reason he will never get that long of a streak, same thing with bonds and so on...

Even though Pujols kills Zach Duke he never intentionally walks him :D

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008

I just hate the Giants so any excuse to bash them I'll take. I would have done the same thing but that still doesn't mitigate my loathing of the Giants! :lol:

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA

Bigfan5 said:
I just hate the Giants so any excuse to bash them I'll take. I would have done the same thing but that still doesn't mitigate my loathing of the Giants! :lol:

Indeed. Chicken **** move. And then Valdez gave up 2 of Zito's runners ::facepalm:: . I would rather Zimm have done the damage.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008

I understand that it's not Zito's duty to throw a hittable pitch to Zimmerman, that being said I do believe this is a disservice to baseball as a whole (since player's "chasing record's" boost's attendance & viewership immensely)! Just like the intentional walk's that were constantly given to Bond's, McGwire, & Sosa back in the day to prevent them from firing off a "moonshot", this effect's the game on several level's & it really is poor sportsmanship (these pitcher's should feel embarassed, being that thier action's of not pitching to these batter's shows that they believe themselve's to be inferior to the batter that they are "walking", they cannot possibly challenge them so they might as well just walk them)! :? BTW I'm not a fan of the Nationals or Zimmerman (though I don't dislike them) but I AM a fan of the sport of baseball, & action's such as these are detrimental to the "hype" that surrounds the sport (which in a sense takes away from the overall excitement that the sport brings to us fan's)! :| :D

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs

This is why hitting streaks of longer lengths are so special...these situations present themselves over the course of a season. Often, it ends a streak much earlier than this and a long streak never gets going.

The Nationals were up 1-0 at the start of the inning, and Zimmerman came up with runners on first and second and one out. They just scored a run and their lead is now 2-0. The hottest hitter in baseball comes to the plate. Zito threw a wild pitch, moving the runners to 2nd and 3rd. First base was then open. Easy call, you walk him.

The Giants are 18-14 and just 3 games back of the Dodgers in first place. They are playing for a championship. This is why I love baseball.

Ryan Zimmerman has never had this much pressure on him in at bat in his career. It is possible that he comes up with 2 outs in the 9th. I can't wait to see it. Good luck Ryan. I hope you make it to 50.

mlb.com will be showing it live.

David

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California

From a baseball since in the situation it was the right move, its just unfortunate that they took away one of his opportunities to extend his streak, but with runners on second and third and one out having a two run lead I think it was the right move.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL

Good Lord, the Giants are playing to win the game. Zimmerman is on fire. I haven't been watching, but if there was an open base, why not walk him? It's not bush league. I can't fathom how it's a disservice to the game by not pitching to him. It would be a disservice to just pitch to him, and not do what is in your team's best interests.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008

cowboysrule48 said:
Good Lord, the Giants are playing to win the game. Zimmerman is on fire. I haven't been watching, but if there was an open base, why not walk him? It's not bush league. I can't fathom how it's a disservice to the game by not pitching to him. It would be a disservice to just pitch to him, and not do what is in your team's best interests.

Which is more important to baseball as a whole(?): the Giants winning this one game, or R.Zimmerman having a fair shot at continuing a streak that would bring about many new viewer's (which could possibly turn into fan's)? IMO baseball as a whole would benefit more from Zimmerman getting a fair shot at continuing his streak (but that's just my opinion....maybe "if" the Giants can pull out a win here, this 1 game could bring about some type of HUGE hype that will drive up attendance at game's & increase viewership- which will lead to many more fans?!?!) :| :D

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL

HoustonTeams4Me said:
cowboysrule48 said:

Which is more important to baseball as a whole(?): the Giants winning this one game, or R.Zimmerman having a fair shot at continuing a streak that would bring about many new viewer's (which could possibly turn into fan's)? IMO baseball as a whole would benefit more from Zimmerman getting a fair shot at continuing his streak (but that's just my opinion....maybe "if" the Giants can pull out a win here, this 1 game could bring about some type of HUGE hype that will drive up attendance at game's & increase viewership- which will lead to many more fans?!?!) :| :D

I'm not talking about bringing more fans to the game. Is it good for the game for the streak to continue? Sure. However, it's not like the home run race of '98. There have been seven hit streaks of 30 or more games this decade alone. If something like this was going to bring more fans to the stadiums, it already would have happened anyway. Of course as he approaches it attendance will rise for those last five or so games, but after it ends, they will just go back down.

However, it is a disservice to expect a team to do something they wouldn't normally do in order to cater to someone on the other team. The Giants don't give a damn about Zimmerman's streak, nor should they. They are playing to win, and if walking him gives him the best chance, then that's what they should do.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008

cowboysrule48 said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
cowboysrule48 said:

I'm not talking about bringing more fans to the game. Is it good for the game for the streak to continue? Sure. However, it's not like the home run race of '98. There have been seven hit streaks of 30 or more games this decade alone. If something like this was going to bring more fans to the stadiums, it already would have happened anyway. Of course as he approaches it attendance will rise for those last five or so games, but after it ends, they will just go back down.

However, it is a disservice to expect a team to do something they wouldn't normally do in order to cater to someone on the other team. The Giants don't give a damn about Zimmerman's streak, nor should they. They are playing to win, and if walking him gives him the best chance, then that's what they should do.

agree 100 percent and hopefully this can be a jinx

stuff001.jpg

Members online

Latest posts