Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOW FUN OR NOT SO FUN WOULD MLB DRAFT BE IF IT WAS LIKE NBA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CISCOKID23

Aug 7, 2008
always wondered if MLB draft was like the NBA draft where they do the ping pong ball thing to select the order of the picks...what you guys think would it work for the MLB.....

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I think the ping pong way is the WORST possible way to choose draft slots. First of all the picks are never done live so who knows what's going on in the background. Secondly, the worst team should get the top pick. I think the NBA sucks (except when Air Jordan played).

Allen

if that was the case the pirates and nats would have the most balls, and if the yanks had 1 and won i would never watch baseball ever again. all you need is 1 ball, i dont want to see the rich get richer. let the yanks keep buying position players. LET THEM SPEND ALL THEIR MONEY AND STILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

TraderJake

Aug 7, 2008
the NBA lottery is garbarge and should not be used a model anywhere else. Also, the MLB needs to fix the compensation structure for draft picks so that Borases of the world cant hold teams hostage.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Big Mac McGwire said:
if that was the case the pirates and nats would have the most balls, and if the yanks had 1 and won i would never watch baseball ever again. all you need is 1 ball, i dont want to see the rich get richer. let the yanks keep buying position players. LET THEM SPEND ALL THEIR MONEY AND STILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.
Only the bottom 13 or 14 teams get ping pong balls, not every single team.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
And the NBA system is supposed to stop teams from intentionally loosing games just to get the best draft picks.

Hallsgator said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
And the NBA system is supposed to stop teams from intentionally loosing games just to get the best draft picks.

Hallsgator said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

Agreed, it's honestly a fine system.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
Hallsgator said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
I thought the lottery was every team that did not make the playoffs.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
The NBA. :lol: What a joke.

Sorry, that has nothing to do with the ping pong draft thing, just a general statement. I love baseball, where a blown call is a big deal. In the NBA, you get like 30 blown calls a night. And those refs make $300K! ::facepalm:: I got in the wrong line of work. Those guys mess up more times in 1 shift that the average fast food employee, it's ridiculous!

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Brad said:
Hallsgator said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

16 teams make their playoffs, which is quite sad IMO. Other 14 go into the draft lotto.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
Penno said:
Brad said:
Hallsgator said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

16 teams make their playoffs, which is quite sad IMO. Other 14 go into the draft lotto.

That is what I thought, so the Yanks would have a ping pong ball in the lottery (if there was one) for this upcoming draft

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Brad said:
Hallsgator said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
That's what I said, lol.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
It wouldn't make a difference at all.

The best players don't always (read as: usually don't) go first. Money has a lot to do with it. That's why teams that are willing to pay over slot get some of the best players in the Draft every year despite where they select.

The best system isn't employed by any league. The idea that the worst teams get the best picks is silly at best. Why waste the best talent on the worst teams? At best, those bad teams develop the talent only to trade it off when those players are about to get paid. Far more often, however, those teams are bad because they can't develop talent in the first place, so you're squandering your best talent on teams that have no idea how to cultivate it.

Why should Jack Lemmon get the Glengarry leads?

The best system would be (and this works better in the other three major sports than in baseball) to take the 14 teams that missed the playoffs and give the team that was closest to making the playoffs the #1 pick. The team that was 2nd closest gets the #2 pick and so on. That way, the best prospects are heading to the teams that just barely missed the playoffs, and the following year, you have a very strong team in the thick of things rather than waiting and hoping that the crap team who got the #1 overall can somehow piece together a team around that player and not completely waste his talent.

Ah well, it'll never happen.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
If the yankees finish in the bottom 12, then they deserve a shot at top pick with an MLB lottery. How would that be unfair?

Members online

Latest posts