Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is Bowman doing???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
Yes they are the 1st guys from India to sign...but I cannot begin to say how dissapointed I would be to pull either of those 2 guys autos from the new chrome due out...

These 2 will never see the majors

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Although I understand what you're saying (Bowman isn't necessarily a brand people collect but rather invest in), some people may actually like the cards of these guys regardless of whether they make the majors or not - or even have the slightest chance to.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
The dudes won a pitching gameshow in India... couldn't even answer a single baseball question during their interviews. They are a publicity stunt for a team who has 0 budget and has been horrible since getting rid of Bonds and Bonilla. They actually have good young talent now but we all know they will trade it off because they won't be able to afford the players in a couple years.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
One word -- GIMMICK.

Same with the guy who happens to share a name with the greatest Cub ever, and the ambidextrous pitcher.

caseya10781

Aug 7, 2008
Tennessee
Jaypers said:
One word -- GIMMICK.

Same with the guy who happens to share a name with the greatest Cub ever, and the ambidextrous pitcher.

Agreed.

Also, I'm getting so tired of seeing the players have base chrome cards in other products and then autos later.

Boring.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
Jaypers said:
One word -- GIMMICK.

Isn't Venditte pretty good?

He has been pretty filthy this year... almost 2k's per inning

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
Jaypers said:
One word -- GIMMICK.

I dont know why you have an issue with this dude. From all accounts I have read he can be a very solid relief pitcher. Sure he wont be a big ticket item but he has a very good change at making the majors.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
bowman sucks real bad anymore. i've lost that loving feeling, goose. red's fans keep getting the shaft year after year. they missed the boat on neftali soto, alex buccholz, sulbaran, alonso. drew stubbs should have had a card in 06. danny dorn, chris heisey, juan duran, yorman rodriguez, and Matt Fairel are all better prospects than most of the trash they have had coming out. the second year auto is complete and utter BS too.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
lordsepic said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Jaypers said:
One word -- GIMMICK.

Isn't Venditte pretty good?

He has been pretty filthy this year... almost 2k's per inning

That's what I thought. Doesn't seem like a gimmick to me. Sure he's just a relief pitcher, but he's good and plays for the yankees.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
Jaypers said:
<cough>Jim Abbott<cough>

If I was compared to Jim Abbott I would be happy with that.

~10 year career, no hitter, 2nd? in Cy Young voting one year.

Seems like a guy I wanna be compared to.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Tomlinson21RB said:
Jaypers said:
<cough>Jim Abbott<cough>

Isn't that the complete opposite of a pitcher that can throw with both arms?

My point is, he's a novelty.

Hell, even BA didn't rank him on their Yankees' top 30 list.

Here's another name in the same mold for you -- Cooper Brannan.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Jaypers said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Jaypers said:
<cough>Jim Abbott<cough>

OK, let's forget that he's pitching very well (I know it's Low A and he is 23 or 24). Even if he is a novelty or a gimmick, are you saying that's a bad thing? Isn't the point to add value to a product? I'd much rather pull a "novelty" player than someone that also won't do anything but doesn't have anything to set themselves apart from the rest of the failed prospect crowd.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Tomlinson21RB said:
Jaypers said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Jaypers said:
<cough>Jim Abbott<cough>

OK, let's forget that he's pitching very well (I know it's Low A and he is 23 or 24). Even if he is a novelty or a gimmick, are you saying that's a bad thing? Isn't the point to add value to a product? I'd much rather pull a "novelty" player than someone that also won't do anything but doesn't have anything to set themselves apart from the rest of the failed prospect crowd.

I don't recall saying novelties were necessarily a bad thing. If it adds value, more power to Topps. But it won't motivate me to buy any wax, I know that much.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
I dont understand how a solid pitcher (even if he has 1 arm or throws with both arms) is a novelty.
Jim Abbott was a VERY successfull major league pitcher. Was successfull in college, olympics and other international competition.

As of right now Venditte is a solid relief pitching prospect. He has upside and he is doing VERy good work in the minors. The fact that people refuse to give him credit for it is a damn shame.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Kutzy said:
I dont understand how a solid pitcher (even if he has 1 arm or throws with both arms) is a novelty.
Jim Abbott was a VERY successfull major league pitcher. Was successfull in college, olympics and other international competition.

As of right now Venditte is a solid relief pitching prospect. He has upside and he is doing VERy good work in the minors. The fact that people refuse to give him credit for it is a damn shame.

If he wasn't ambidextrous, would Topps have given him an auto? That was my initial point.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
Jaypers said:
Kutzy said:

If he wasn't ambidextrous, would Topps have given him an auto? That was my initial point.

Eh, probably not. Thats not really a knock on his skills though. Even if its a unique "skill".

Members online

Latest posts