Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Topps Variations? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I am looking at how many Tony Gwynn cards are in 2009 Topps? I see a few different variations, but are there Target cards and Wal Mart cards, too? How many am I looking for?

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
Wal-Mart has all-black Topps cards this year and Target has cards with the old-school Topps logo and are a grey color.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Thanks for the reply!
So that must be:
1 regular, 1 variation
1 regular wal Mart, 1 variation walmart
1 regular target, 1 variation target

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
If it's like Series 1, then it's just the variation.

Assuming the Gwynn is the variation, he doesn't have a base card, and there are no Throwback or WalMart versions of the variations.

For example, card #1 in Series 1 was ARoid. The variation card #1 was Babe Ruth. Then there was a Throwback #1 ARoid, and a WalMart #1 ARoid, then there are the Gold, Black and Platinum parallels of the base ARoid but not the Ruth.

Hope that made sense.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
plainwhitejerseys said:
If it's like Series 1, then it's just the variation.

Assuming the Gwynn is the variation, he doesn't have a base card, and there are no Throwback or WalMart versions of the variations.

For example, card #1 in Series 1 was ARoid. The variation card #1 was Babe Ruth. Then there was a Throwback #1 ARoid, and a WalMart #1 ARoid, then there are the Gold, Black and Platinum parallels of the base ARoid but not the Ruth.

Hope that made sense.

It does! Thanks!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
2009 Topps Series 1:

Base Card:

Bruce2009Topps.jpg

Target Base Card:

Bruce2009ToppsTarget.jpg

WalMart Base Card:

Bruce2009ToppsWalMartBlack.jpg

The Base base cards were in Hobby and retail packs. The Target and WalMart Base cards were in their
respective Blasters only

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
If it's like Series 1, there are Legends of the Game inserts of the same players who are featured on the variations. So if you're going to chase those, you're looking at several extra Gwynns. Those are confusing.

There's the LotG, the Gold Parallel #ed/99, the Platinum Parallel #ed/25, and I'm sure there's a 1/1. Then there are the relic versions. Then there's the Target exclusive gold parallel (not numbered) and the WalMart exclusive platinum parallel (also not numbered).

The fact that there's a base platinum parallel and a WalMaty platinum parallel is kind of silly. But the base platinum parallel is numbered on the bottom front of the card and features the same picture as the base LotG. The WalMart platinum parallel is not numbered and features a different picture than the base LotG card does.

Members online

Latest posts