Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ever feel like you need to give up your player collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Yes this is a rant...ignore as needed. :oops:

I went to High School with Jeremy Maclin (Eagles - 1st round), ran track with his brother and watched him play at MU. Thought a player collection of him would be great, it's hard enough to find cards of quality players from my home town, much less my high school! I was actually happy when he slipped in the draft instead of possibly going Top 10 like some mock's were showing as it may have made him a little more affordable.

Unfortunately though, there is a guy on EBay with private feedback and unlimited cash to throw away. And he collects players from the U of Missouri. Chase Daniel, Chase Coffman, Brad Smith...all going for rediculous amounts when good cards show up.

Common Press Pass autos of Maclin have been sold at outrageous amounts. Forget low print runs, this guy will get them all.

When cards numbered to 100 are selling for $60, I can forget about ever getting a quality Maclin autograph.

http://cgi.ebay.com/09-Prestige-Jer...yZ166755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Manufactured patch sticker auto /40 going for over $90? Ouch...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Bowman-Dra...yZ166756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He has dropped over $100 on Press Plates and I saw him snag a base 1/1 (no auto) for over $250.

Thankfully some of his "older" releases (Press Pass, Hit) are starting to fall to more reasonable levels as I finally got an auto /99 for under $20, but it sucks knowing I will never be able to get one of his higher end cards without a second mortgage. Just amazes me the money some people have.

/end rant

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
I kinda know how you feel. When Walker came out I was nailing every 1/1 that hit the bay. Until some zero feedback jerk came along and started destroying my bids. I don't mind a little comp but this guy was nuts. He won like 5 of the 1/1's at outrageous prices, almost quadruple of the average price I was paying. Turns out he didn't pay for any of it. I only got one second chance offer and the rest were never to be seen again.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
J-Rod said:
Never buy stuff when it just comes out anyways wait the 2 months for it to drop.

For most items I agree, but the stuff numbered /1, /5, /10 that will be difficult to find again I try to grab early on. Sellers will list a normal parallel /25 when a product releases but may be hesitant to throw it up there again when a product gets to be "old".

palmercfan

May 28, 2009
I know how you feel, but I'd just try to hang in there, especially if you're a huge fan of the player. I feel like buying on ebay is all about timing. There are times when I can't win a gosh darn thing and prices for Carson Palmer cards seem to be out of control. Then there are times when I win stuff at a pretty nice bargain and I wonder if I'm the only one still collecting him. Hopefully you stay with it and some nice cards fall through the cracks for you to pick up! Good luck with your collection.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Don't get down because there are other people with more money to spend than you.If that bothers you then you might as well stop collecting now.There will always be people with deeper pockets than you and there will always be people who like the same players you do but the only thing you can do is try to get what you can when and while you can.I see a lot of cards I can't afford that I would like to have and I don't think there will ever be a time when that isn't the case but you can't let it deter you.This hobby is made for people of all incomes.The hardest part is feeling satisfied with the amount you are able to devote to the hobby.If you can be happy knowing you can't have all of the cards you want of even just one player ,let alone everyone you collect, then you will do just fine.Otherwise you may want to look into a different hobby.

Don't take what I wrote as rude or arrogant.I am just telling you the same thing I have to tell myself when I get ticked off because I sometimes just can't compete with the bigger fish out there.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
man I feel your pain. Think it's bad collecting one player? Try an entire NFL team! :lol: There is a die hard Tatupu collector, die hard Hasselbeck guys, also Notre Dame fans with Carlson and Jones, and the list goes on and on. My personal philosophy: Wait to buy a product release for 3-6 months. You may not ever see anything numbered to 5 anymore (or you may) but the hype will be gone. I still haven't picked up much from 2008 even (Forsett, Carlson, Jackson, etc) I am picking up 2006 and 2007 guys and picking them up for 10-20% of what it used to cost. Example: A Jordan Kent Exquisite Gold RC/60 was fetching $25-35 back in 2007. Now they are going for $2-5.

I just pick my spots. I know the Tatupu collector will always win the first of any new Tatupu. I wait for the second or third (or longer depending on the card). Just feel out what people are doing.

One last thing, the person might be flying high right now but there are very few people out there that can continue forever. Maybe this guy is dropping a couple grand now but most people fade away.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I know where you're coming from. I don't have the money to even try to go after stuff right now. There were a few 1/1 Tashard Choices that I could have straight up bought, but couldn't afford it.

There was a set of autographed patches #/5 fully spelling his last name I was outbid on. Then there was his Bowman Chrome Red Refractor #/5 I was outbid on. It really hurt. I was really down that week. Big hit to me.

Not to mention trying to put together my Miami Hurricanes collection - there's alot of people going against me because they collect 'Canes, the pro team, or the player. You just gotta do the best you can and be proud of whatever you do get.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
i have 2 guys I go up against for my PC -

good news is that after they get a card (say, #rd out of 25) - the third one goes pretty cheap to me - but i could never afford to go head-to-head bidding on a 1/1 against them.

madman1978

I am a Huge Jerome Bettis Collector and I can count the times i have been outbid on cards. It is just part of the game and not much else you can do about it. Will i ever stop? NOPE! Never go past what your willing to do/pay for cards. at some point that other buyer will lose interest.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
To reiterate my point and to touch on what some of the others have said...I collect Bagwell(I know its baseball but I am more of a baseball collector although I do have a ton of football stuff).

There are a lot of people who wouldn't normally think Bagwell cards are costly.On the baseball boards I think it was HOFAUTOS that was saying he just got a Bagwell and wasn't sure he would go after more of the set it came from seeing as how much he had to pay for the Bags.Bagwell has a lot of followers and down here in Texas he and Biggio and Ryan are still like Gods.There are quite a few items I get outbid on regularly.I have one or two big fish I have to go against for anything rare but then there a lot of guys like me who seem to throw some normal bids in.So my only option is to pick my battles.Because even if I am not going against the big fish there are some other guys who can really hurt my wallet when it comes to bidding.You have to pick and choose what your willing to break the bank over and what your not willing to go too high on.

Latest posts