Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Werdum leaves the UFC.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
Not really surprised by this.

Following a rocky time in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, capped by a surprising knockout loss to octagon newcomer Junior dos Santos at UFC 90, Chute Boxe fighter Fabricio Werdum has left the promotion.

Sources tell MMAWeekly.com that Werdum’s exit comes on the heels of a failed contract renegotiation following the loss to dos Santos. The Brazilian was on the first fight of a new contract that came with the expectation that he would soon be contending for a heavyweight title shot.

The knockout at UFC 90 derailed anything of the like in the near future, and spurred a renegotiation of the newly signed contract. Werdum and the UFC were apparently unable to come to an agreement. He has already opened talks with other promotions in the U.S. and Japan.

After losing his opening salvo in the UFC to Andrei Arlovski, Werdum put together back-to-back impressive victories with TKOs of Gabriel Gonzaga and Brandon Vera, effectively positioning him as one of the top contenders in the promotion’s heavyweight division.

Current champion Randy Couture faces Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 on Saturday and interim heavyweight titleholder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira defends against Frank Mir on Dec. 27 at UFC 92. The winners of those two fights are expected to fight in early 2009, as a unification bout to the UFC mini-tournament.

Had Werdum taken care of business against dos Santos, he was expected to be in contention to face the unified heavyweight champion later in the year. Now it appears he will be moving on to another promotion such as Affliction in the U.S. or Dream or Sengoku in Japan.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
The UFC's HW division is sooooo bad. Even with a loss, Werdum is a top 10 HW right now. Randy will be leaving soon too. I laugh every time Dana talks **** about how he has "the best in the world in the UFC". ********.

Werdum will find a new home in Dream, Sengoku, or Affliction within the next month.

G

Ty Hope said:
The UFC's HW division is sooooo bad. Even with a loss, Werdum is a top 10 HW right now. Randy will be leaving soon too. I laugh every time Dana talks **** about how he has "the best in the world in the UFC". ********.

Werdum will find a new home in Dream, Sengoku, or Affliction within the next month.

Aleksander Emelianenko vs Fabrico Werdum II

What do you think Ty?

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I like that fight a lot. If Aleks came in with a full gas tank, I'd take him over Werdum.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts