Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BLan's 2009 National Convention Recap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
OK folks, this is going to be a really long thread and I have a ton of pictures to share. So bare with me and take a look at what I saw during our stay last week.

The National just flat out rocked. I was more than amazed at the size of the convention center. It used to be an old tank factory back during the World Wars. Later it became a plane factory for military bombers. The end of the building still fold up so that a plane can be rolled into/out of the hangar. Here are a few pics of the building and what it looked like on the inside...

09NSCC011.jpg
"Looking down through the corporate area from our booth"

09NSCC080.jpg
"View from the "Food Court" area of the expo floor"

09NSCC081.jpg
"Looking in one direction of the Show Floor. Cards galore"

During the show we had some cool contests. One of the ones we did was called "Show 'em to me!"...........no no, not that type of game, as it probably would have made me throw up in my mouth whatwith all the white chalky sweatstained dudes there.....but rather a contest to see some of the rarest stuff that someone could bring to our table. Here are some pics of the cards people dragged over.

09NSCC039.jpg
"Williams/DiMaggio/Mantle Topps TT 3x Jersey card 1/1"

09NSCC041.jpg
"2001 SP Authentic Tiger Woods Superstars GOLD auto RC /100--SUPER HIGH DOLLAR"

09NSCC042.jpg
"Michael Jordan Exquisite Patch auto"

09NSCC078.jpg
"Haray Caray Prime Cuts cut Signature"

09NSCC079.jpg
"Matt Ryan Exquisite RC Patch Auto /25 variation"

09NSCC112.jpg
"Jimmy Hoffa Mystery Cuts 1/1 cut sig--SWEET!"

09NSCC115.jpg
"Former Secretary of the Treasury--our resident historian Mox said this guy's sig was on some dollars"

09NSCC117.jpg
"Yeah its a 1/1 musician I've never heard of, its not really exciting, but the girl that brought it over was hot and she wanted to show it off to us. I obliged whilst gettin an eyeful!"

09NSCC134.jpg
"Eliphalet Remington(gun Pioneer) cut sig! NICE"

It was some amazing stuff!

Next, I will showcase some of the cards and stuff that I saw while walking the floor. I must say that it was absolutely amazing. The convention floor was literally a museum of all kinds of memorabilia from socks to jerseys. Here are some photos I took along the way:

09NSCC024.jpg
"Ruth/Gehrig dual ball"

09NSCC025.jpg
"Cobb/Foxx/Speaker signed ball"

09NSCC026.jpg
"Walter Johnson signed ball"

09NSCC027.jpg
"Honus Wagner signed ball"
and speaking of Honus...............

09NSCC104.jpg
09NSCC105.jpg
"The Holy Grail"

Did someone say super rare cards?
09NSCC052.jpg

09NSCC053.jpg

09NSCC057.jpg

09NSCC054.jpg

09NSCC059.jpg

09NSCC060.jpg

09NSCC056.jpg

09NSCC084.jpg

09NSCC187.jpg

and for the granddaddys of them all.................

09NSCC189.jpg

09NSCC061.jpg

09NSCC062.jpg

09NSCC063.jpg

09NSCC064.jpg

09NSCC065.jpg

09NSCC066.jpg

Next we have a card that was picked up by someone you all know. It is a very very nice piece!!

09NSCC075.jpg

We got the opportunity to meet some figureheads in the hobby and have interviews with them. We got nearly all of the major manufacturers on film, with Upper Deck, Razor, Panini, being very supportive of what we were doing. I have to admit that Scott Prucha was my favorite of all the guys we met from the MFG's. He had a ton of energy, and was very nice to everyone. I also got to meet Mike Payne, the baseball brand manager for Panini and had a great conversation with him. He was a very cool guy to talk shop with.

Here are some photos from the interviews..........

09NSCC049.jpg
Adam from Dave and Adams card world.

09NSCC046.jpg
Scott Prucha from Panini America

09NSCC069.jpg
Dr. Brian Price from ITG/Sportkings

09NSCC102.jpg
Artist Brian Kong

09NSCC190.jpg
Brian Gray from Razor

and I'm sure what was the ULTIMATE part of the entire week for many of you......the Benchwarmers Girl interview!!!

Lisa Gleave

09NSCC120.jpg

09NSCC119.jpg

Here were some of the celebs we saw during the week! The highlight for me was meeting Tyler Hansbrough and Blake Griffin and getting their autographs!

09NSCC033.jpg
Andre Thornton and Lil Papi!

09NSCC101.jpg
Hansbrough signing for me.

09NSCC183.jpg
Blake Griffin signing.

and for those of you that love the iconic holiday movie "A Christmas Story" you will like the next pic. The house the movie was filmed at is in Cleveland and Ken and I had hoped to make it there. Well, while we didn't get to go, this was just as cool. I was chatting with the Benchwarmers Girl, I saw a face I had seen in Beckett before. It was Scotty Schwartz. He played Flick in the movie(the kid that stuck his tongue to the flagpole). I asked him for his autograph and a picture. He obliged and we chatted about the movie for a few moments!

09NSCC194.jpg

Here are some other pics from the show and the Cleveland area. Enjoy.

09NSCC141.jpg

09NSCC155.jpg

09NSCC174.jpg

09NSCC175.jpg

09NSCC180.jpg

09NSCC035.jpg

09NSCC036.jpg

09NSCC030.jpg

09NSCC028.jpg

09NSCC004.jpg

09NSCC010.jpg

09NSCC001.jpg
This was Beefy's plane flying over us as we drove into Cleveland on Tuesday! LOL. Yes it has been verified and it really WAS his plane.

I will update later and answer any questions you all might have. Thanks for looking.......Oh yeah, I guess its a little late for the no 56k tag huh?

A_Pharis

Holy jeebus.

THose balls (especially the Honus) are amazing. That Mantle barrel from Sterling is amazing. That Gehrig name stitching is amazing.

I mean... I would have filled that expo center with some drool... everyone woulda been swimmin.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
awesome pics and report......I'm really jealous and hoping I can make it next year. If not in Baltimore, the I'll be at the next one for sure.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
WoundedDuck said:
awesome pics and report......I'm really jealous and hoping I can make it next year. If not in Baltimore, the I'll be at the next one for sure.

I spent a while chatting with Brian Kong about you and your sketches. He was a really cool guy and he said he might stop in and see some of the work you have done.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
BEST Thread Evarrrrrrr

Thanks for sharing all those cool pics. Its funny how cards make their rounds. I seen a card that a friend of mine used to own in the pics, he just sold it about 2 months back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts