Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What set from the 2000's is the LEAST talked about?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Every manufacturer has its clunkers now and then. What major manufactuer card sets of the last decade get the least mentions anywhere? Just totally unremarkable and forgotten (for good reason) sets, devoid of any personality and redeeming qualities.

My nomination is 2000 Fleer Impact. I can't remember this set being mentioned in any posts, or any cards from this set being shown off. I hated this product when it was released. Totally uninspired and forgettable.

00IMPACT.jpg

Make a nomination, and explain why it's the worst. Or defend one of the nominations and tell us why it deserves to be appreciated.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
What do you expect from a 99c price point?

They did have the opportunity to pull Autographics from the, so they did have that.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
KLARNOLD said:
2002, 2003 & 2004 Donruss Estrellas

I didn't think they made an 04 set.

I know I was making bank on them because they were $15/box at wally world and the inserts of the stars were selling for 4-8 bucks each. Really liked that set. Nice designs and the inserts were pretty cool.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
A set that gets so little press but should get so much more is 2000 Stadium Club Chrome. Maybe its talked about so little because this set was only released once.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
gracecollector said:
00IMPACT.jpg
Make a nomination, and explain why it's the worst. Or defend one of the nominations and tell us why it deserves to be appreciated.

U have a bigger scan for that set? I sort of like the title lay out. Did they have a yankees card design with that style? I only find mighty fine as they have every member of the 1999 Yankees surprisingly only set that make Allen Watson in a Yankees Uniform.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
championMan said:
gracecollector said:
00IMPACT.jpg

U have a bigger scan for that set? I sort of like the title lay out. Did they have a yankees card design with that style? I only find mighty fine as they have every member of the 1999 Yankees surprisingly only set that make Allen Watson in a Yankees Uniform.
Wasn't he only on the yankees for one season anyways? I remember when they got him, and if I remember correctly, it wasn't for very long.

Utleyfan1

Aug 7, 2008
Card Magnet said:
Fleer Ultra?

If I ever heard somebody mention it, it was usually always negative.
As a younger child, I actually liked Fleer Ultra for its photography and I pulled my first game used card out of 2005 Fleer Ultra.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
chashawk said:
2001 Upper Deck Minors Centennial

Never cared much for the look of it, and never heard anything about it.

!B(pkZEwBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBKdcQCOhM!~~_12.jpg

The GU and auto checklist was pretty good.

I've heard of all these products. What about..hmm...

2000 Topps HD??

Though, the few autos in that set were good...

Its tough. To be a complete silence set it would need to have pretty much no GU or autos. Even 2000 UD Powerdeck had rare auto'd mini CDs.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I actually like Topps HD.

Here's one for discussion...Skybox Dominion. Talk about hideous...that product was a complete dog.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
200lbhockeyplayer said:
I actually like Topps HD.

Here's one for discussion...Skybox Dominion. Talk about hideous...that product was a complete dog.

OOo..that was pretty bad. Uhmm..hmmm...

You know, for the GU and auto checklist, I cant believe 2001 UD Legends of NY isnt talked about more...I always loved the design...

DaveWinfield.jpg

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
One of my favorite sets that gets no love is 2002 Topps Super Teams. They were originally going to continue the product each year with ten different all-time great teams, but the product just didn't sell. I love the auto set (see below), and there are several interesting GU as well.

RobinsonB.jpg
Ryan1.jpg
Spahn1.jpg
Wilhelm.jpg

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe I miss the talk about it, but seems like very little mention of 05 UD Pastime Pennants. Not a bad looking set, dual on-card autos, throwback pennants.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Fleer Ultra had a nice run. When it came out in 1991, Fleer actually trumpted the fact that you got 4 pictures of the player on every card, and that was true, counting the 3 on the back. The dull silver borders were real objects of love/hate at the time, but it was fun collecting that set plus these 10 new gold cards that didn't look like the rest of the set. They're called what? Inserts? OK, inserts. You'd hear of someone selling a gold Griffey for $75 or something ridiculous.

In 1992, it was totally revamped. Blazing color, a sweet asymmetrical design, gold foil stamping, drippingly glossy coating and a nice spread of inserts. And 2 series!

For me, the peak of Ultra was 1998. The embossing on the foil-stamped curlicue lettering really made it stand out. And the photography really complimented the high-color-saturation printing. It went downhill after that, designs getting more and more "enh" and it was getting lost in the explosion of sets that followed.

For anyone collecting 8-10 years ago, it was really a matter of,"If you don't like that last set that came out, wait a few minutes, there will be another one along any second now." Fleer was the worst. I think in 2001 or 2002 they put out 32 sets including multiple series over 20 different brands, and I doubt anyone could correctly name every single one if you were to black out the logo.

Least memorable set of all time? UD Top 10. I can't even remember if that's the exact name, or what year it was, probably 2002. What was the point? Top 10 statistical leaders, or something? Just endless cards of Griffey, Pujols, Ichiro, and Randy Johnson, as I recall.

Members online

Latest posts