Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cathartic Givings And Reinventing My Own Hobby Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I've been gone for a few weeks. It has been a somewhat odd period for me but nothing too overwhelming. I've rededicated myself to my schoolwork. I was just floating by and getting B's but that wasn't really helping my GPA. I was recently given an offer that if I could bring my GPA up .4 to a 3.5 in the next three semesters, I will be guaranteed an engineering management job and get paid to get my MBA. So baseball cards are taking a backseat.

So as I looked around my house, I saw stacks and stacks of cards. Some so long abandoned that they literally were coated in dust. Most people here have never really seen my collection. A few have gotten a taste but I rarely share because I didn't want to be bombarded with people wanting them and I'm somewhat of a natural miser. So I blew the dust off of a stack of cards and started thumbing through them. It brought back really nice memories but also made me realize that most of the cards that were truly special to me were given freely. Over the years neighbors, friends, and some of you guys would show up in person or via USPS with a gift. I was always thankful but I realized that I was never truly appreciative. So what do I find in my dusty stack of cards? A 1964 Topps Hank Aaron. I know, hardly a bank breaker. But I realized that if I could leave such a great card unloved in a stack of cards that this hobby had moved on from a hobby and turned into pack rat mentality.

But how do I solve such a personal issue? Well, I just tore that bandaid off. I boxed up nearly everything. My wife and I set about going through my cards and cherry picking out the best of the best. I set some of the good stuff aside to sell on eBay but nothing that was fantastic. I took the best stuff and started sorting them into similar piles and soon had quite an envious collection sprawled out before me. And I did them most insane thing ever. I bagged them all up. Each bag contained two vintage cards, one autographed vintage card, four other autographed cards, and three game used cards. I took them to church and gave them all away to children. (And yes, I realize some of you are now saying, "Therion goes to church?! I thought he worshiped the debbil!") As I watched those little boys and one little girl open their bags with delight and abuse the daylights out of those cards, I felt right inside. I would have previously gone bananas. "NO! Don't handle them so roughly! You'll make them lose their VALUE!" But I got too wrapped up in the monetary value and forgot about the emotional value. Sure, that same Hank Aaron card dropped to the ground, bounced, and floated in a puddle for a few seconds. I'm sure I could have gotten $20 for it on eBay. But that little boy looked like he had won a million dollars and a helicopter. And he didn't care at all that it had clear water damage. It was "FREAKIN' Hank Aaron!"

So my collection now fits in a single shoe-box sized Tupperware container. It consists of my autographs and a select few meaningful cards. And the funny thing: I feel like it is worth more now than before I purged everything. I feel like it is actually a hobby again.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I have got to say that this has to be one of the best posts that I have ever read! Thank you for sharing! Amazing story!!!

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Therion,

Back in the days of the old BMB, I gave you a three-color Lance Berkman patch. I guess some little kid in Texas is enjoying that now. I'm glad you're happy and feel the joy of giving. I recently sold a $6000 vintage set to pay off some credit card debt. I always thought it would be tough, but surprisingly it wasn't.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for sharing your story.
Giving can be just as rewarding as buying and hoarding.
Maybe your experience will encourage others to give. :grouphug:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Liberate Baltimore said:
Therion,

Back in the days of the old BMB, I gave you a three-color Lance Berkman patch. I guess some little kid in Texas is enjoying that now. I'm glad you're happy and feel the joy of giving. I recently sold a $6000 vintage set to pay off some credit card debt. I always thought it would be tough, but surprisingly it wasn't.

I actually know the exact card you refer to. And it still resides in my small box. Berkman will be the hardest purge for me. I've gave the minister the cards that didn't go into the bags which included doubles and most of his base cards. Our minster's son is a youth director for a church in Houston, so they are mostly going there. But Berkman and Darryl Kile are still in my box. They'll probably slowly be merged out of the collection as I focus on my Astros A to Z Project. So I guess in reality I tore the band-aid but it got stuck at the end and now I'm shy about just ripping the last sliver off.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Great story Therion! Nice to see you posting. Congrats and good luck on the engineering deal.

I try to donate cards whenever I can. I usually give them to the local children's hopsital, but maybe I'll give some to my church too.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I've given 60,000 to 80,000 to local schools, salvation army and goodwill last few years and some were from you .

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
Wonderful story.....

That is what I love about this site and community. It isn't just about the latest white whale, steal, etc.....it is about our lives and how they sometimes related/are dealing with baseball cards and/or memorabilia.

For Halloween, I try to give away cards in a grab bags for the kids. It is amazing the look on their faces!

David

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
dethomas07 said:
Wonderful story.....

That is what I love about this site and community. It isn't just about the latest white whale, steal, etc.....it is about our lives and how they sometimes related/are dealing with baseball cards and/or memorabilia.

For Halloween, I try to give away cards in a grab bags for the kids. It is amazing the look on their faces!

David

I considered the Halloween route but my wife reminded me of the number of trick-or-treaters we've gotten in the last five years: ZERO.

We buy candy every year and they never come. They all go down the road to the more affluent neighborhood LOL

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Good to see you back, and good to hear you're still working on the 'Stros project. Like you, I've realized many of my favorite cards in my collection have come from the generosity of others. Good to see you've passed that good will along, and hopefully that's something that will be appreciated by those that received the packages.

By the way, how is the Astros A to Z project coming along?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
dethomas07 said:
Wonderful story.....

David

I considered the Halloween route but my wife reminded me of the number of trick-or-treaters we've gotten in the last five years: ZERO.

We buy candy every year and they never come. They all go down the road to the more affluent neighborhood LOL
You have to learn to advertise better :lol:

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
Therion said:
dethomas07 said:
Wonderful story.....

David

We usually only have 5 or 6 at our house, so we started a Trick-or-Trunk program at our church. For the past two years, we've given our candy & cards to over 200 kids. :)

David

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
dethomas07 said:
Wonderful story.....

David

Halloween is a great idea. We get a lot of neighbor kids that play baseball and softball. I guess I have a little over a month to put that plan in action.

Alex

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
subject to change said:
Good to see you back, and good to hear you're still working on the 'Stros project. Like you, I've realized many of my favorite cards in my collection have come from the generosity of others. Good to see you've passed that good will along, and hopefully that's something that will be appreciated by those that received the packages.

By the way, how is the Astros A to Z project coming along?

Slowly for now. Focusing more on school. But I still send out a few TTMs a month, so it still rolls on.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Therion said:
Thanks for all the thoughts and comments :) Hopefully I won't go into hiding again.

Glad to see you around these parts again Therion.

What you did was a pretty selfless and amazing act. You may have just brought in a handful of new collectors who one day may be posting on this very site.

Glad to here about the pay to MBA you hopefully get.

Stay in touch here on the boards and keep us updated on the A to Z Astros project.

Members online

Latest posts