Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has a company ever successfully done what Razor is trying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
Gone from being an upstart minor league company to a successful mainstream enterprise? I know that UD was successful right off the bat, and I remember in 1989 Jerome Walton rookies commanding $15-$20 or more, and then the Griffeys too. I wasn't around in 1981 for Fleer and Donruss, but they succeeded for a while. But all of those had MLB contracts.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Autismic said:
Not the same sport but ITG has done very well competing against UD with their hockey exclusive contract.
Keep in mind, ITG had a license and made a huge mark in the hockey hobby before Upper Deck got the exclusive license fairly recently.

That being said, "No, no company has done this and become successful."

I don't think that in 6 months that the answer will change either.

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
Upper Deck, circa 1989.

Edit: didn't read your post, just your title.

From minors to big wigs, don't think so.

Not sure if it matters. Giving collectors what they want is the important thing.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Upper Deck started up in a different era, different hobby climate, different business model.

Razor is, as of now, keying in on one audience: prospectors.

No one has ever done was Razor is trying, period.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
card-treasury said:
Upper Deck, circa 1989.
Not sure if it matters. Giving collectors what they want is the important thing.

Are you sure they're able to give collectors what they want? I've been collecting cards for quite a while, and when I really think about it, I don't see the appeal that these cards have for those folks like me...folks who want licensed cards. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Razor, because I wish them well. I really do. But I agree with rico08 as far as these products appealing to prospectors. What I can't grasp though is: who are the prospectors going to flip these cards to? Other prospectors? At some point, collectors are going to have to want these cards for their collections. For me, I'd rather have a 2010/11 licensed card than a 2008 unlicensed one.

For example, I waited for Austin Jackson's 2008 licensed autographed card as opposed to his 2006 or 2007 unlicensed ones. By the looks of things, many others did as well. Yes, Razor has a lot of good prospects locked up for 3 years. Some of them will make the big leagues and will then get licensed cards. In my opinion, those licensed cards will be the ones to have. Again, just one collector's opinion and best of luck to Razor and those who are buying their cards.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Autismic said:
Not the same sport but ITG has done very well competing against UD with their hockey exclusive contract.
Keep in mind, ITG had a license and made a huge mark in the hockey hobby before Upper Deck got the exclusive license fairly recently.

Thank you for your optimism....
I would ask politely that you ask around who I am, as that might impact your lack of confidence.... I have been in this industry full time since late 80's at every level.... BG

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
carlitoson said:
card-treasury said:
Upper Deck, circa 1989.

Are you sure they're able to give collectors what they want? I've been collecting cards for quite a while, and when I really think about it, I don't see the appeal that these cards have for those folks like me...folks who want licensed cards. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Razor, because I wish them well. I really do. But I agree with rico08 as far as these products appealing to prospectors. What I can't grasp though is: who are the prospectors going to flip these cards to? Other prospectors? At some point, collectors are going to have to want these cards for their collections. For me, I'd rather have a 2010/11 licensed card than a 2008 unlicensed one.

For example, I waited for Austin Jackson's 2008 licensed autographed card as opposed to his 2006 or 2007 unlicensed ones. By the looks of things, many others did as well. Yes, Razor has a lot of good prospects locked up for 3 years. Some of them will make the big leagues and will then get licensed cards. In my opinion, those licensed cards will be the ones to have. Again, just one collector's opinion and best of luck to Razor and those who are buying their cards.

And some of them may not have autohgraphed rookie cards EVER!,.... :lol:

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
razorent said:

Certainly true; there are a ton of guys who appeared in past Bowman brands who never made the show. And Lord knows I've spent a lot of money on their cards over the years. :lol:

Good luck to you sir.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
carlitoson said:
razorent said:

Certainly true; there are a ton of guys who appeared in past Bowman brands who never made the show. And Lord knows I've spent a lot of money on their cards over the years. :lol:

Good luck to you sir.

I meant guys like Wieters and any other exclusives whose deals weve extended and havent told you guys about... :D

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
quote]

I would ask politely that you ask around who I am, as that might impact your lack of confidence.... I have been in this industry full time since late 80's at every level.... BG[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything?

I've been a collector/dealer/writer/price-guide editor/prospector since the mid 1980s, and I don't push my experience off on other people as qualifications for absolute success.

To me, the fact that you start posts about cards that were pulled from your product (e.g., dual autographs of the Beckham brothers) makes me uneasy about buying your brand. It seems like the sellers who post the auctions all seem to harp on the "Exclusive Razor contracts" you have with the Tim Beckhams of the world and it makes your posts seem egregious and obnoxious.

Reps from Upper Deck, Topps and Donruss are smart. They don't come to these boards to hype their products because they have automatic brand recognition and a leg to stand on. You took a huge risk and spent a lot of money on a lot of players. The economy isn't quite what it was when you began your crusade (that's an understatement). Your cards don't look quite as good as you hyped them up to be. Shoot, you even put a Rhianna cut signature in one of your products (who the hell wants a Rhianna autograph?)

At the end of the day, you have an awful lot to lose. In fact, you stand to lose more than you have to gain. But, by coming to these boards and continously hyping your products, you are becoming nothing more than the Don King of prospecting.

And we all know how annoying Don King is.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Crash Davis said:
What does that have to do with anything?

I've been a collector/dealer/writer/price-guide editor/prospector since the mid 1980s, and I don't push my experience off on other people as qualifications for absolute success.

To me, the fact that you start posts about cards that were pulled from your product (e.g., dual autographs of the Beckham brothers) makes me uneasy about buying your brand. It seems like the sellers who post the auctions all seem to harp on the "Exclusive Razor contracts" you have with the Tim Beckhams of the world and it makes your posts seem egregious and obnoxious.

Reps from Upper Deck, Topps and Donruss are smart. They don't come to these boards to hype their products because they have automatic brand recognition and a leg to stand on. You took a huge risk and spent a lot of money on a lot of players. The economy isn't quite what it was when you began your crusade (that's an understatement). Your cards don't look quite as good as you hyped them up to be. Shoot, you even put a Rhianna cut signature in one of your products (who the hell wants a Rhianna autograph?)

At the end of the day, you have an awful lot to lose. In fact, you stand to lose more than you have to gain. But, by coming to these boards and continously hyping your products, you are becoming nothing more than the Don King of prospecting.

And we all know how annoying Don King is.

I wonder how successful his product would be if he kept absolutely quiet and slipped the product into the market without any word of mouth or advertising whatsoever.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
razorent said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Autismic said:

I would ask politely that you ask around who I am, as that might impact your lack of confidence.... I have been in this industry full time since late 80's at every level.... BG
Brian...your vast hobby experience and name dropping exploits certainly may impress a 12 year old girl, but frankly it is your entire business model that I have questioned since day one.

Don't worry your little head though, I'll have no problem admitting that I'm wrong about your future should you have a future...but I'd rather side with logic than with hope.

S

stanthemanmusial

I don't care what your background is, Brian, your product looks cheap. That, and not having an MLB license, will not be a recipe for success. This stuff will not go over all that well in the mainstream of the hobby(it might on FCB, but this place is just a dot on the hobby map). We are already seeing just a sample of how poorly this stuff is being accepted by the hobby. Heck, sigs of some guys are selling for less on Ebay than you paid the players to sign the stuff. Not good..

Of course, you have to pump the stuff up, because you have a lot to lose. I understand that, but the card design is aweful, and a many of the sigs on the cards already look half faded out/too light. Clearly, the wrong pens and designs were used to start your card business venture.

I'm all for a new product, but when the new product is junk, we have already had a fair share of that in our hobby over the years. These are just my honest opinions, so the followers who want to bash can go right ahead. No excuses made for Razor will change how poorly this stuff was done.

Members online

Latest posts