Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

For the Error & Variation collectors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
I posted this a few days ago on the CU boards and thought some of the error guys here might enjoy this as well:

I've often attempted to post about what unknown errors, variations and other misc cards to look for amongst all those crappy, overproduced sets of the mid-80's and early 90's several times now, but I usually end up canceling the post because I have to leave or some other type of distraction. So I've created a blog, specifically to cover this type of thing. Each post will be specific to one set that is worth taking a second (or fiftieth) look at, that may be loaded with unlisted variations or just may have a really cool story to tell.

I see a lot of posts on card sites that go:

"Whut is my 1989 Topps set worth"

And the following 5 replies always include the words "Nothing", "kindling" or "Ricky Jordan".

Which is pretty accurate for the most part. But almost all of these sets have error or variation cards in them that are worth looking for before they get dumped off at the goodwill or the children's hospital (great, now this sounds mean and selfish) or set on fire.

With brands like Topps Heritage capitalizing on the enjoyment of collecting variations, and a renewed interested in 'error cards, it would seem that now is the time to discuss the numerous varieties that exist among the sets that everyone and their mothers have (in bulk). There are thousands, not a couple hundred, but thousands of unlisted true error and variation cards among those sets, many of which, top E&V collector's want lists. I'd even argue that some of Topps' rarest error cards in their history can be found among these sets. I personally cannot walk away from a 1991 Topps box knowing what cards could, however unlikely, be within it.

So far, my first two entries have been on 1990 Bowman Baseball, 1991 Topps Baseball (lengthy - for the reader) with Pro Set issues, early Upper Deck, and various Fleer issues likely to be following soon (aka, as time allows). For those interested, you can find it by clicking on the following link: http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ , if this is somehow against the rules, I'll be happy to remove it and you can PM me for the link.

Hopefully I'll be able to regularly post between work and school, I have a ton of information to share.

Thanks for checking this out and enjoy!

Members online

Latest posts