Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What you can purchase for around $14K - updated randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I was helping a friend of mine attempt to price a collection of autographs recently. It didn't work out, as the seller was apparently looking to get about $14,000 for a lot that may have been able to resell for about $2500 at the most, with authentication costs that would have been substantial. The funny thing was that over the past couple of months, I had actually spent a little over $14K at different auctions houses on a variety of lots, so I had a pretty good idea what that amount of $ could actually get you, and could tell that he was way off base. I figured that since I'm still breaking everything down, scanning, and processing all of the things I picked up, I'd post a thread here (and possibly the CU boards, not sure) to show what you can possibly get for that much $ when buying multiple lots. Some items purchased were for my personal collection (which I'll note), some were purchased with the intent of resale (don't worry, I won't spam), and some I'm still trying to figure out why the hell I bought it other than it was a good price.

To start with, I'll post 2 of the individual items (non-lots) I have scanned, and will try to keep the thread regularly updated as I can (and if there is interest):

#1: 1953 Topps Satchel Paige BVG/JSA Authentic:

1953TSPaigeJSABGS.jpg

This Paige was one of those "Why the hell did I buy it" items. I put a bid in on it, figuring it wouldn't win. Whoops!

#2: 2001 Donruss Classics Legendary Lumberjacks Babe Ruth "Holiday 1 of 1"

2001DCLLBRuthGU1-1.jpg

2001DCLLBRuthGU1-1B.jpg

I picked this one up for what I considered a cheap price. It may not be a true "1 of 1" since it was a Holiday present card, but I figured it was a cool item to have.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Re: What you can purchase for around 14K - updated randomly

Sean,
That Paige is amazing!....Wow :shock:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

I like what I have seen so far.

There is another promotion Ruth 1/1 bat, it closed last week with the reserve not met around $250+/-

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009

Guess we now know who looks at the pictures instead of the words in posts... :)

Trust me, there is a mountain of stuff to go through, so it'll be a while before all of it gets posted (especially since I take forever scanning) Some still hasn't arrived yet, and one of the lots had to be delivered via UPS freight due to it being a pallet of over 25 boxes worth of items (one of the lots being a collection of over 75000 singles).

JEA2880 said:
I pray to god those two didn't cost you $14k...

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut

Sean_C said:
Guess we now know who looks at the pictures instead of the words in posts... :)

Trust me, there is a mountain of stuff to go through, so it'll be a while before all of it gets posted (especially since I take forever scanning) Some still hasn't arrived yet, and one of the lots had to be delivered via UPS freight due to it being a pallet of over 25 boxes worth of items (one of the lots being a collection of over 75000 singles).

JEA2880 said:

ballerskrip said:
JEA2880 said:

Did they teach you to read at IU? You might want to re-read the thread.

Alright to set the record straight, it was said in jest... I guess since I didn't add the smiley at the end that wasn't clear. Sigh..........

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009

No problem JEA, I'm still trying to get used to the names and characters around here as to who the kidders are and what not.

I guess the best way I can bottom-line things is this way: among the various lots were collections of autographed cards totalling over 14K cards. If nothing else were to be worth anything, I paid a buck a per autographed card, and got the rest of my items for free (including the 75K card lot and the 2 cards posted above, and trust me, there will be some items posted that will make you gasp. :D). I'll do that all day long, and twice on Sundays as long as the budget holds out. :)

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis

I love the Paige. It's a nice card to "accidentally" buy haha

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary

Great cards so far, looking forward to this thread, you have a fantastic taste in cards!!

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009

ballerskrip said:
JEA2880 said:

Did they teach you to read at IU? You might want to re-read the thread.
Its something they dont like to do there :lol:

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009

This arrived yesterday, so I forced myself to scan it last night. It's a basketball item, but hopefully people won't mind if it get posted in this thread:

1955-56 NBA program with 2 Maurice Stokes signatures (among others)

1955-56ProgramPage1-Stokes1.jpg

1955-56ProgramPage5-Stokes2.jpg

It's a program from Stokes' rookie year (presumably signed at the time at the event, considering the other signatures on the program). The program itself is in poor condition (pages not bound, tape damage, etc.), which makes me even more inclined than I already was to have the 2 autographs turned into cut signature cards. I've never seen a signed 57-58 card of his (his injury and subsequent paralysis occurred during the end of the 57-58 season and playoffs), and would imagine that were one to surface it would cost a fortune. He has yet to appear on a cut signature card, and most of his signed items that do enter the marketplace tend to be letters or other such items that have signatures that would be too large to be viable. Both of these are workable, if unfortunately placed against competing backgrounds. Even if I don't turn them into cut cards, I'm quite happy to have been able to get his autograph (and an apparent rookie-year autograph at that).

What do you guys think? Leave as is or turn into cut signature cards?

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

Sean_C said:

I'd leave it as is. It's a very cool piece, in that it comes from a significant time (rookie year) and is dated as such. The signatures wouldn't be great for cuts, either, due to the background (as you mentioned). Rare as the perfect signature for such an end might be, I'd keep looking; should you find it, it'll probably be worth the effort.

I have several similar pieces with early signatures of Jonny Gomes (dated index cards, on programs, etc.), and wouldn't think about cutting out the autographs.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009

I could understand why you wouldn't cut up early dated items like those, considering that Gomes has signed more items in the past 6 years than Stokes probably did in his lifetime. The fact that the program can attribute the signature to his rookie year is probably the only real reason I have to keep it intact at this point. I'll probably end up holding on to it as is for now, and if I can't find another signature at some point (letter, etc.), I can always do it later on.

LWMM said:
Sean_C said:

I'd leave it as is. It's a very cool piece, in that it comes from a significant time (rookie year) and is dated as such. The signatures wouldn't be great for cuts, either, due to the background (as you mentioned). Rare as the perfect signature for such an end might be, I'd keep looking; should you find it, it'll probably be worth the effort.

I have several similar pieces with early signatures of Jonny Gomes (dated index cards, on programs, etc.), and wouldn't think about cutting out the autographs.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

I see the point you're making, although early Gomes signatures are actually quite hard to find (I've seen three from 2001, for instance, a dozen or so from 2002/early 2003 and half a dozen from the 2003 AFL---each period has a distinctly different style). If I were searching for one for a cut, I would still wait until one came along that both worked and was on a piece of such little relevance that I would have no qualms in cutting it up (e.g. an indistinct index card).

Sean_C said:
I could understand why you wouldn't cut up early dated items like those, considering that Gomes has signed more items in the past 6 years than Stokes probably did in his lifetime. The fact that the program can attribute the signature to his rookie year is probably the only real reason I have to keep it intact at this point. I'll probably end up holding on to it as is for now, and if I can't find another signature at some point (letter, etc.), I can always do it later on.

LWMM said:
[quote="Sean_C":k5w9te8i]What do you guys think? Leave as is or turn into cut signature cards?

[/quote:k5w9te8i]

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009

Here are a few more items;

First, this was not an auction house purchase, but was purchased at the same time from the same 14K, so it's getting lumped in:

1986-87FKMalonePSADNA5.jpg

It came from Mike over on the PSA boards. I wish the condition were a bit better, but signed Malone rookies are not easy to find. The jersey # has me a bit puzzled, to be honest, but it appears to be a rushed signature. It was Mike's "To be upgraded" copy, and now it's my "To be upgraded" copy.

The following 2 cards came from the same lot auction lot. The first is a keeper for me:

1992-93CBSONealAuto500SGC9.jpg

Why is it that SGC slabs get scratched up so easily? Sure it's not a world-beater of a card, but I still has a soft-spot in my collection for Shaq cards, and would rather keep it than take whatever it might sell for if listed.

And, to get things back on a baseball front:

UDAARodriguezAuto75.jpg

I waited until it sold before posting it here as I didn't want to spam. It came with all of the proper UDA authentication paperwork, and the original holder and bag. It took a bit longer to sell and went for a little bit less than I had anticipated (it first went up right after the World Series), but oh well.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009

Here are a few items with images:

1952 New York Yankees Team Signed ball with Mantle: $316.25

aug9con184d.jpg

The ball is shellacked, but the signatures are authentic (JSA). Besides Mantle, it has Mize, Berra, Rizzuto, Stengel, and 23 other names (28 in total - pretty full ball). Could be better, but to get a very early Mantle signed ball from a World Series championship team for $316.25 I couldn't say no.

54redsoxtb410384.jpg

1954 Boston Red Sox Team Signed ball with Ted Williams and Harry Agganis: $465.75

While the Williams and Lou Boudreau signatures on the sweet spot are nice, it's the Harry Agganis signature that is the key.

54redsoxtb410384b.jpg

For those that do not know him, he was a local legend who passed away during his second season with the Red Sox in 1955. There aren't a lot of signatures around of his, and to be able to get him on a signed ball from his rookie season was well worth the $.

Members online