Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you had $10,000... (business question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
Let's say you own a business and have $10,000 to spend regularly on new inventory (or product) for your small business, and you have to choose between:

Product A.
PRO:
* You buy it cheap (for example $10 per item) and can sell it for $50 per item. That's 5x profit.
* Always can find wholesalers selling it, never a problem with supply.

CON:
* Each of these $10 items takes up a lot of space.
* The demand is steady but not super.

Product B.
PRO:
* Each unit costs more (for example $100 per item) and you can sell it for $200 per item. That's 2x profit.
* Usually in demand, more so than the $10 items.

CON:
* Sometimes harder time finding from wholesalers.
* Less profit margin.

Now, one could buy 1000 units of Product A and if they all sell, it would produce $50,000. On the other hand, one could buy 100 units of Product B and if they sell, it would produce $20,000.

What percentage of product A and product B would you buy and why?

[email protected]

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
serving4theking said:
Let's say you own a business and have $10,000 to spend regularly on new inventory (or product) for your small business, and you have to choose between:

Product A.
PRO:
* You buy it cheap (for example $10 per item) and can sell it for $50 per item. That's 5x profit.
* Always can find wholesales selling it, never a problem with supply.

CON:

Product B.
PRO:
* Each unit costs more (for example $100 per item) and you can sell it for $200 per item. That's 2x profit.

CON:
* Less profit margin.

Now, one could buy 1000 units of Product A and if they all sell, it would produce $50,000. On the other hand, one could be 100 units of Product B and if they sell, it would produce $20,000.

40 percent A, 60 percent B.......diversify

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
thenextlevel said:
serving4theking said:

Product A.
PRO:
* Always can find wholesales selling it, never a problem with supply.

CON:

Product B.
PRO:

CON:
* Less profit margin.

Now, one could buy 1000 units of Product A and if they all sell, it would produce $50,000. On the other hand, one could be 100 units of Product B and if they sell, it would produce $20,000.

That sounds about right and is what I would do. Although A would produce more profit and ROI, moving them would be presumably a lot tougher than B.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
It would depend on how steady A is. If it's steady enough to be able to not worry about it, I would go that route. However, if A isn't steady enough I would buy enough of B to fill the gap, while possibly creating enough profit to cover not only waiting on A, but possibly to buy more A since when you do actually sell it makes more money.

Edit: actually it would depend on how long you have to wait. If you can sell 3 Bs before 1 A then definitely go with B.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
thenextlevel said:

+1, on the first time around I would do 50/50 to see where your demand is and to see what garnishes your more profit over a months time.

That said prebuying inventory is always an iffy thing since if no one wants your product or can buy it cheaper somewhere else you are stuck with something that has no value.

If you can drop ship to begin with it would really be the way to go.

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
sheetskout said:
Take the one that has the least Inventory Cost.

see: Just In Time Invemtory Systems.

Could you describe JIT a bit for me? I should mention that within Product A there are several "variations" of this kind of item and they are a pain in the butt to inventory, sort, prepare for sale, etc. They sell eventually, but if I understand JIT correctly, it might not be the best option according to that model.

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
bouwob said:
thenextlevel said:

+1, on the first time around I would do 50/50 to see where your demand is and to see what garnishes your more profit over a months time.

That said prebuying inventory is always an iffy thing since if no one wants your product or can buy it cheaper somewhere else you are stuck with something that has no value.

If you can drop ship to begin with it would really be the way to go.

Drop shipping isn't really an option, but that would indeed be the way to go initially.

Members online

Latest posts