Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2008 Razor Metal Gold Auto vs. 2010 Pro Debut Gold Non-Auto

More Desirable?

• 2008 Razor Metal "Gold" Auto

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. As you know, the Razor Metal Autos were distributed solely through eBay, and included both Blue and Gold parallels. The Golds had varied print runs, but were generally in the range of 25 per.

As you may also know, 2010 Topps Pro Debut will include several players already found in Razor's checklist, albeit not autographed. However, they will also include Red, Blue and Gold parallels. Assuming the Golds are #d to 50 or less (no official word yet from Topps), which card would you rather own?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I would lean towards to likelihood of longevity and therefore Topps.

I do think the Razor Gold autograph is the better card, but seeing the lack of secondary market interest in them I chose Topps. Basically, if Razor is indeed "one and done" with baseball products, I can't imagine any long-term potential with them.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
baseballguy350 said:
Which would I rather have for my collection? Razor Autograph.

Which is more likely to be a better investment? Topps Minor League.

If the Topps ML was auto'd, it would be that by a longshot imo. The key is whether the exclusive guys make the bigs before the exclusive tag runs out. If they do, then the Razor auto will do extremely well off the bat, imo better than a Topps ML non auto. But if they don't reach the bigs before the exclusivity runs out and they have any other brand auto, the Razor will be rather worthless.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
sportscardtheory said:
Hm, let's see... a first year non-MLB card or a 3rd year non-MLB card. I don't even see how it's a decision. (meaning the Razor card all day long)

Hmm, let's see... a first year non-MLB card by a defunct company or a minor league card made by Topps.

Topps all day long.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
As other's have posted above, if we're talking about owning one of the choice's with no ramifications of SV or profit then I'd go with the Razor Auto. But if we're looking at selecting one of the 2 choice's with the intent of making an investment then I'd go with the Topps non-auto.

I think that Razor has had it's shot in the secondary market & has shown us what they're capable of, & you have to take into account the fact that these were selling low while there was no Topps of the same player to compete with them! Now once there is going to be a Topps card to compete it will have 1 of 2 effects on the Razor auto's:

1. The Topps card's will help promote these player's, making them more popular since more collector's will have seen these up close from the Topps product, & therefore making the Razor card's increase in value do to a market for these player's that was not there before Topps produced them. OR

2. The Topps release will make the Razor issue seem like that of a "Classic" or "Just Minor's" release & therefore will make them even less valuable.

I'll take the Topps non-auto....Take care, Dave. :D

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
The fact that it has an auto I would initially say Razor Gold auto
On the other hand, Matusz parallels sold for LESS than what they debuted at when he came up to bigs. They was a big tell about the market's opinion.

To those waiting for the hidden exclusive gem to help recoup losses, there still is a posibility too that the contracts held by Razor could be sold off to other companies and the exclusive tag = pointless

Overall, I personally lean towards the auto in this poll

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Jeff N. said:
sportscardtheory said:
Hm, let's see... a first year non-MLB card or a 3rd year non-MLB card. I don't even see how it's a decision. (meaning the Razor card all day long)

Hmm, let's see... a first year non-MLB card by a defunct company or a minor league card made by Topps.

Topps all day long.

Yeah, that's that's like saying you would rather have a 1989 Topps Craig Biggio RC over a 1988 Score Rookie/Traded XRC because Topps is a better company than Score. I would take the Score ALL DAY LONG, and if it was autographed... come on.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
sportscardtheory said:
Jeff N. said:
sportscardtheory said:

Topps all day long.

Yeah, that's that's like saying you would rather have a 1989 Topps Craig Biggio RC over a 1988 Score Rookie/Traded XRC because Topps is a better company than Score. I would take the Score ALL DAY LONG, and if it was autographed... come on.

Keep in mind though, Score wasn't on hiatus from producing baseball cards when the Topps RC came out.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Jaypers said:
sportscardtheory said:
Jeff N. said:
sportscardtheory said:

Topps all day long.

Keep in mind though, Score wasn't on hiatus from producing baseball cards when the Topps RC came out.

Just because a company is no longer making cards, doesn't mean everything they've ever made is worthless.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Topps. And the below quote is exactly why.

When one person has 10 of 29 cards produced, that isn't distribution. It's a perk of being in the Razor Fanboy Club.

Russ S. said:
I have VERY VERY few Razor cards, but I do have 10 or the 29 of these.

Wes

OG
Administrator
The strength of the player will still dictate gains. Gordon Beckham Metals sold for double their release cost when he was at his peak last year. While the example of Matusz is cautioning, he was never the hobby darling of Beckham. If a Razor exclusive steps up to the level of a Longoria in the hobby his Razor Metal Gold will be a big time card.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
rico08 said:
Topps. And the below quote is exactly why.

When one person has 10 of 29 cards produced, that isn't distribution. It's a perk of being in the Razor fanboy's club.

Russ S. said:
I have VERY VERY few Razor cards, but I do have 10 or the 29 of these.

And sticking to the point of this thread, do you really think a 2010 serial numbered non-MLB card will outsell his low print-run 2008 autos of the same player. Yeah right.

Members online

Latest posts