Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Value on Superfractor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
kentuckyderby said:
putting it on ebay will give you true market value

not right now it won't. it's definately a buyers market on ebay right now as pretty much everything i've seen sell the past couple months is way below "market value".

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
mburgin said:
kentuckyderby said:

not right now it won't. it's definately a buyers market on ebay right now as pretty much everything i've seen sell the past couple months is way below "market value".
There's three market values, though. Past, current and future. If he puts the card on the bay today, he will get current market value for the card.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Past market value is irrelevant. Ask Kevin Maas, Corey Snyder, and Delmon Young.

If I was trying to trade with someone, and the phrase "future market value" entered the discussion, that trade would be over pretty quickly. If future market value was an actual thing, every Bowman Draft card ever released would be a steal at full book.

IndyMann said:
mburgin said:
kentuckyderby said:

There's three market values, though. Past, current and future. If he puts the card on the bay today, he will get current market value for the card.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
mudflap02 said:
Past market value is irrelevant. Ask Kevin Maas, Corey Snyder, and Delmon Young.

If I was trying to trade with someone, and the phrase "future market value" entered the discussion, that trade would be over pretty quickly. If future market value was an actual thing, every Bowman Draft card ever released would be a steal at full book.

IndyMann said:
mburgin said:
kentuckyderby said:

eBay only provides you with what people on eBay who are actively searching for Card X are willing to pay for the card. It's not even close to what you'd consider a fair market value for cards older than 5-6 months.

I think the Future Market Value thing is somewhat comical. Cards and Stocks alike, you pay for what's *probably going to happen*; thus, future market value is already figured into current market value.

If you could see into the future and say, google's going to wildly overachieve even the grandest projections -- Well, you'd be a kazillionaire.

But I have to agree with whoever said that eBay does a shat-job of properly evaluating the price of anything. It's too temperamental to be a decent indicator.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
pigskincardboard said:
mudflap02 said:

IndyMann said:
mburgin said:
kentuckyderby said:

eBay only provides you with what people on eBay who are actively searching for Card X are willing to pay for the card. It's not even close to what you'd consider a fair market value for cards older than 5-6 months.

I think the Future Market Value thing is somewhat comical. Cards and Stocks alike, you pay for what's *probably going to happen*; thus, future market value is already figured into current market value.

If you could see into the future and say, google's going to wildly overachieve even the grandest projections -- Well, you'd be a kazillionaire.

But I have to agree with whoever said that eBay does a shat-job of properly evaluating the price of anything. It's too temperamental to be a decent indicator.

If that's not the definition of market value, I don't know what is.

Who is going to pay more for it? People who aren't searching for Card X?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I think the correct answer would be to wait to sell it at it's peak selling point to get the most "real" market value. You could argue all day about whether selling a $500 card for $200 in the offseason means you got market value, but I know I would rather get $500 at peak selling time.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
+1 Prospecting by definition is based on future market value and wouldn't exist without it, unless people simply enjoyed collecting and keeping failed prospect cards - which doesn't seem to happen much.

Every seller of a particular prospect card wants all prospective buyers to believe in the idea of future market value of: 1) the player prospect; 2) the set the prospect is in; and 3) that there will always be a market for prospect cards in general. The idea of collecting doesn't seem to factor into things much here.

mudflap02 said:
...If I was trying to trade with someone, and the phrase "future market value" entered the discussion, that trade would be over pretty quickly. If future market value was an actual thing, every Bowman Draft card ever released would be a steal at full book.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
mudflap02 said:
pigskincardboard said:
mudflap02 said:

IndyMann said:
mburgin said:
[quote="kentuckyderby":1947qg9u]putting it on ebay will give you true market value

If that's not the definition of market value, I don't know what is.

Who is going to pay more for it? People who aren't searching for Card X?[/quote:1947qg9u]

Yup. The majority of cards are only listed for 7 days and it's pretty easy to miss something like "2007 A & G Whatever Back Pujols". Even with a search set for 2007 Pujols, you're going to get a boatload of weekly results. Even then, you can't expect everyone to be online or snipe.

Unless you're in baseball cards to make a profit, you're also not likely to be viewing cards simply as investment chips. The majority of the high value sales are driven by player collectors, and thus you're looking at a 2nd of the same card being worth even just 50% of the original price they paid.

Let's say you're in the widget market and currently all of the retailers have a large backstock of widgets. There may be a few different retailers willing to pay full asking price of 50/unit, but for the most part no one's going to pay your full asking price if they already have backstock. In a couple weeks when they need widgets, they'll be paying 50/unit because that's cheaper than all of the other suppliers. Any new retailers will be purchasing your widgets, because of the price tag.
Because everyone currently has a working stock of widgets doesn't mean the market price is suddenly 25 dollars -- the price at which anyone would buy them, regardless. The price is still 50/unit based on future sales. You know in 2 weeks people will be buying from you, and it'd be downright idiotic to sell your widgets now at the price that anyone would buy them.

The going eBay rate discards quite a bit of useful information and it's pretty difficult to tell whether or not you're dealing with a true market value, or just a set of circumstances that's effecting the cost.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
FWIW:
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Cory Rasmus 70 12/20/08
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Kasey Kiker 200 4/28/09
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Billy Rowell 876 4/7/08
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Chris Marrero 1675 4/7/08
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Chris Parmelee 721.11
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Chris Tillman 560.98 4/7/08
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Cody Johnson 683.65
2005 Bowman Chrome Draft AFLAC Superfractors Colton Williams 408