Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone know much about old baseballs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
I'm looking for a little help to date a ball I have. It's a reach baseball with red stitching. From what little I can find I think that means it's after 1934-1935 but beyond that I can't seem to figure anything out. It has signatures, which I can't figure out either. The only one I do know is Connie Mack. He died in 1956 so it's got to be somewhere between 1934/35 and 1956. They made baseballs for MLB till 1970, or something like that but obviously this one was made before 1956. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
orion9578 said:
I'm looking for a little help to date a ball I have. It's a reach baseball with red stitching. From what little I can find I think that means it's after 1934-1935 but beyond that I can't seem to figure anything out. It has signatures, which I can't figure out either. The only one I do know is Connie Mack. He died in 1956 so it's got to be somewhere between 1934/35 and 1956. They made baseballs for MLB till 1970, or something like that but obviously this one was made before 1956. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan

Do you have a pic of some kind?

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
NYCrulesU said:
orion9578 said:

Ryan

Do you have a pic of some kind?

Sorry, I'm a little slow today :).

380442100.jpg

380442102.jpg

I have to use my scanner because my digital camera sucks and everything just looks blurry...:(.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Def. hard to tell by those pics. If you get better pics and take shots of all the autos, I am sure members here can help identify them and then possily narrow the year down a bit more.

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
NYCrulesU said:
Def. hard to tell by those pics. If you get better pics and take shots of all the autos, I am sure members here can help identify them and then possily narrow the year down a bit more.

I figured as much but thought someone might know enough about reach baseballs to know about what year it is. I'm not quite sure where I can get a better picture of the ball but I'll try. Thanks!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Reach baseballs were the official ball of the American League. They had red and blue stitching until 1934. Beginning in 1935, they were red stitch only. Also beginning in 1935, they had the name of the League President on one of the sweet spots. You can determine a general age by which president is on the ball. I don't think your ball is an official AL ball though, since it doesn't say "American" League, just Official League.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts