Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 MLB All-Star Week in Anaheim!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
This year I have the opportunity to go to Anaheim to experience the Fan-Fest, Futures Game, Celebrity/Old Timers softball game, Homerun Derby and the AL/NL showdown! My uncle has done work for the All-Star game for the past 19 years and I told him that I have been saving up money to take a trip for the summer and this is what I have planned on.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever been to one and could answer some general questions for me. I've been looking online to find a website that has the schedule and some information for this year's events but haven't come up with anything. Can you bring backpacks full of baseballs (and some bats) into the Fan-Fest? Who is likely to be there besides the All-Star players? HOF'ers? Past coaches and players? ANY AND ALL information would be very welcome! Thanks guys!

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
First of all, have fun! I don't have any answers to your questions (someone else will, I am sure), but sounds like a great time!

Secondly, hope you make time in your schedule to visit the original (and BEST) Disneyland!

There are several good hotels near Disneyland, moreso than the ones right next to Anaheim Stadium. Disneyland is within minutes drive of Anaheim Stadium, so if you have a choice, stay in the Disney district hotels.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I went to the Fan-Fest the last time San Diego hosted in 1992. It was at the convention center. I don't remember too much, but they had a lot of fun interactive booths and memorabilia on display. There were also a ton of dealers set up since this was in the glory days of baseball cards. I remember having a blast as a teenager.

Not sure how the more recent ones are set up. I'm sure other board members can fill you in.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
I've been to a bunch including last year's in St. Louis. I've always had a great time. The Fanfest was a little scaled back this past year due to the economy, but it was still great.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I went to the All Star fanfest in Pittsburgh, and honestly left a bit disappointed. There likely won't be any announcements regarding scheduling of events or autograph guests for a few months. Probably sometime in early June. I was pretty displeased with the autograph lines. The line moved very slowly, since they were adding MLB authentication stickers to each item and writing down what each item was that corresponded with the authentication sticker. They had a HOF players and retired fan favorites from the host city. In 06, the signers included Luis Apparicio, Juan Marichal, Yaz, and a few other big names. However, after waiting in line for nearly two hours, I ended up with Manny Sanguillen and Chuck Tanner.

The exhibits are very nice, but when you're paying $5-7 for a hot dog, and the autograph lines are a complete crap shoot, it may make your trip more enjoyable to just focus on the various exhibits and activities that they have to offer.

Wes

OG
Administrator
I wouldn't waste my time trying to get autos at fanfest, you'll end up spending 90% of the day standing in line. I went to San Francisco a couple years back and it was good for a half a days worth of interest.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Autos are a nice extra at Fanfest, but don't make it the focus of your time there. You will be disappointed. Do the exhibits, get some cards, (Topps and Upper Deck usually have booths set up--who knows what will be going on by then?) Watch for player appearances at other venues close by. Some players appear at a booth within the Fest as a spokesperson. You will not want to carry around backpacks full of baseballs--and bats! OY!--all day at the Fest. Tickets, schedule, player's list, none of that will come around until May, and even then, things will change. Check on the Angels website for links and info.

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
Thanks guys! This has been very helpful. Is there more than one day of Fan-Fest? I'm getting the entire package given to me by an employee of the whole setup - should be awesome! I'm pretty pumped to hang out in Cali for a week and spend sometime outside of North Dakota (doesn't happen to often with all the hours at UPS). Is it baseball season yet?

Wes

OG
Administrator
thejackaryman8 said:
Thanks guys! This has been very helpful. Is there more than one day of Fan-Fest? I'm getting the entire package given to me by an employee of the whole setup - should be awesome! I'm pretty pumped to hang out in Cali for a week and spend sometime outside of North Dakota (doesn't happen to often with all the hours at UPS). Is it baseball season yet?

It usually goes over a few days - not really worth going for more than half a day though, there just isn't enough to take up your time. If you have a full pass - hook it up!

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I've been to quite a few All-Star Games and will be in Anaheim this year as well.

Fanfest is fun, but I've never bothered with the auto lines (but I'm not really a hound and hate lines). You'll be in line for literally hours to get two autos of players that can be had on ebay for $15-20 tops. FYI, I don't think they let you bring bats in anymore.

But there are quite a few exhibits that are cool. The setup with the many trophies/awards is one example. The huge board with every MLB team's hat and all their MiLB affiliate hats underneath is another one that's fun to look at. Some of those minor league teams have some weird-ass hats.
Selig does a radio interview (taking questions from the audience usually) one day as well. It's surprisingly sparsely attended, but it's kind of fun to watch if you happen to be there at that time.

The thing that keeps me there all day though is the live Hunt Auction. It actually spans two days and there is always amazing stuff. Even if you don't want to bid, you can walk around and look at all the stuff in the display cases. Babe Ruth auto'd balls, Gehrig g/u jacket, World Series rings, Thurman Munson's golf clubs...the list goes on of what's been there. There are also a ton of cards that you can ask to take a look at (if you're so inclined and aren't a weirdo). If you like baseball memorabilia and cards (duh!) you really should check it out.

I picked this up last year at the auction:

RuthGodeyActualBEST.jpg

My girlfriend even enjoyed it and I plopped her down with a catalog and she followed along as I went to buy some cards at the dealer tables. They are in a different section, and sometimes hard to find, but there are usually a fair amount of card-shop/sellers set up. Because it's not a typical card show (lots of "tourists" so to speak, and not many buyers), they are willing to deal. Got some decent bargains last year, and have bought Bowman Chrome boxes in the past for $50-60.

Got these from a dealer last year for a really fair price:

APOHsigFinal3.jpg

I can give you some info about the other events if you want, but let me just say make sure to go to the Future's Game. It's great if you want autos because they are always signing down the lines, and it's not that heavily attended, so you can usually make your way down to the rail. It's also a really fun game to watch and see all the up and coming players that most of us don't get a chance to see play.

Members online

Latest posts