Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

card values after being traded to another team...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gldneagles311

Aug 10, 2008
N. Bergen, NJ
card in mind is: 1999 topps update auto c.c. sabathia. obviously after the trade to NY there was a selling price spike, but my question is:

generally how do these spikes last. they are down to the upper 90's at this time, which i belive is lower than it was last week. is there a chance that they will come down anytime soon. i've never followed situations like hs before b/c i've always (like a *******) bought the new tradesdirectly after it happened. also, let me add that it would be strictly PC only...not looking to make a profit, unless they start selling for 500+ after i have mine :lol:

my question is for those established stars that get traded

i would think that eventually, they will lower a bit

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
if player traded from pirates goes up ,to pirates you lost . most players spike high fall about 60% after news quiets down .

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This depends on media hype and other factors. I would expect Sabathia's to start to decline until late February....spring training hype will bring them back a little and they will stabilize then.

Another increase may be expected if he starts to pitch well in the beginning months of the season with the Yanks.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I'm going through the same thing with Casey Blake.His cards were real cheap,since he went to the Dodgers i have had to up my bids on certain items.I lost out on 3 of his Printing Plates.It won't happen again. :shock:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
This is honestly a topic that would take many pages to go through the ins and outs of, but I'll post some thoughts.

When a player gets traded, there are many factors that can affect prices including (obviously) the two teams, the length he was on a particular team, where he is as far as his career, his popularity etc. etc. etc.

A player who has played for a specific team for a long time builds a fan base, who often compete for the players cards. Depending on the market (and the players popularity) that fan base will obviously vary in size, but players like Ripken, Gwynn and others sold quite well despite playing in fairly "small" markets by hobby standards.

When a player has been with a team for a reasonable amount of time, and then is traded or leaves, many of his old fans no longer are interested, and the allegiance that was built over years can disappear. In many cases, this means that after an initial increase, prices will level off, and possible drop a bit.

When it comes to trading players to teams like NY and Boston, the theory is that there are enough people in those cities, and therefore enough new fans, to make the players cards go up. While this idea was assumed in the past, the spikes we saw for Sabathia's RC Auto as well as Burnett's were larger (percentage-wise) and lasted longer, than any I had ever seen before. I believe that a big factor here is the perception that the market is much larger and the investment opportunities are much greater, which has created somewhat of a pygmalion effect, where this belief has actually resulted in higher prices. I do wonder if those prices are sustained across the spectrum of each player's cards or only hold true for their rookie cards. In both cases though, the player also came from a team where they had only been for a single season (or less) meaning that the move did not alienate as many fans as it might have in other situations.

The effects vary based on many factors as stated, but at this point (for investing purposes) the fact is that most people are convinced that a trade to NY and Boston means the player becomes a far better investment, and this has resulted in increased prices when a player goes to either of those cities (and with perception growing, the likelihood those increases sustain for a while increase.) To a degree this makes sense (despite the fact that some people don't realize why) because NY and Boston provide more opportunities for a player to be in the spotlight, including Playoff time where you have the entire spectrum of baseball fans focusing on specific teams. That said, the fact that if Teixeira would go to Anaheim would be bordering on hobby suicide, while signing with NY or Boston would mean big increases, is a flaw in the current reasoning of the market.

Members online

Latest posts