Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Seneca Wallace traded to Cleveland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattlefantillIdie

Oct 2, 2008
KENMORE, WASHINGTON
I got the update from Q13 Fox Sports. Makes me wonder though, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn.... why Wallace as well? Suppose Holmgren really sees something in him?

That is a nice Wallace collection you have there too, congrats!

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
J-Rod said:
I would put seneca above anderson for sure could be an interesting preseason for them

Frankly, I'd put Wallace above Quinn as well. If the Browns can get something in trade, they should probably move Quinn while he has value.

That's not to say that Wallace will be a long-term QB solution. More of a backup if they trade for a true starter or a caretaker/mentor if they draft one.

Either way, it's all about familiarity with the system. Wallace knows Holmgren's way better than Quinn and the talent gap isn't significant enough to justify ranking Quinn over Wallace under these circumstances.

mikekarlovec

Aug 7, 2008
Hobbs, NM
maxpower said:
J-Rod said:
I would put seneca above anderson for sure could be an interesting preseason for them

Frankly, I'd put Wallace above Quinn as well. If the Browns can get something in trade, they should probably move Quinn while he has value.

That's not to say that Wallace will be a long-term QB solution. More of a backup if they trade for a true starter or a caretaker/mentor if they draft one.

Either way, it's all about familiarity with the system. Wallace knows Holmgren's way better than Quinn and the talent gap isn't significant enough to justify ranking Quinn over Wallace under these circumstances.

Looks like the Browns are thinking the same way, Rotoworld is reporting that Quinn is on the trading block.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'll say St. Louis, Arizona, Seattle, Tampa, Minnesota or Washington tries to make a deal for Quinn.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Quinn has played barely played 1/2 a season in 3 years so I'm not sure how he can be properly evaluated.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
dfr52 said:
Quinn has played barely played 1/2 a season in 3 years so I'm not sure how he can be properly evaluated.

Unless we're talking about a proven QB, it's always a bit of a crapshoot. The only way to really know for sure is to ride out a couple seasons with him, but that's a gamble and one that the current Browns management apparently thinks is a poor bet. He didn't look great on the field, but I'm willing to concede that he was put in a tough position for any QB to succeed. What's more damning is that the former regime, who had all the benefit of seeing him every day in practice, wasn't sold on his ability. On top of that, the rumored trade value is incredibly low (late round pick). All told, a lot of people who get paid to assess QB talent around the league seem to think Quinn isn't worth that much in trade value. They certainly may be wrong, but at the very least, it raises doubts. Add on top of it that he's spent two years getting his confidence shaken, he hasn't really gotten an opportunity to develop his game skills, and now he has to learn a new offense...

My own evaluation (which isn't worth a hill of beans... I've been wrong repeatedly) is that he's, at best, an okay QB - a guy who is savvy enough to manage the game and not to make big mistakes, but not a difference maker. However, no team is ever built around a game manager. And even if the Browns need a game manager for a year or two, Wallace is a better bet given his experience with the Holmgren offense.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
maxpower said:
dfr52 said:

Unless we're talking about a proven QB, it's always a bit of a crapshoot. The only way to really know for sure is to ride out a couple seasons with him, but that's a gamble and one that the current Browns management apparently thinks is a poor bet. He didn't look great on the field, but I'm willing to concede that he was put in a tough position for any QB to succeed. What's more damning is that the former regime, who had all the benefit of seeing him every day in practice, wasn't sold on his ability. On top of that, the rumored trade value is incredibly low (late round pick). All told, a lot of people who get paid to assess QB talent around the league seem to think Quinn isn't worth that much in trade value. They certainly may be wrong, but at the very least, it raises doubts. Add on top of it that he's spent two years getting his confidence shaken, he hasn't really gotten an opportunity to develop his game skills, and now he has to learn a new offense...

My own evaluation (which isn't worth a hill of beans... I've been wrong repeatedly) is that he's, at best, an okay QB - a guy who is savvy enough to manage the game and not to make big mistakes, but not a difference maker. However, no team is ever built around a game manager. And even if the Browns need a game manager for a year or two, Wallace is a better bet given his experience with the Holmgren offense.

Overall I agree w/ your analysis but I still don't know what his potential is or the type of player he can be. I don't think he can be labeled a bust b.c he has not been given a fair shot. Mangini's decision to pull him last season was a poor one and probably hurt his development (as you referred to).

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
dfr52 said:
maxpower said:
dfr52 said:

Overall I agree w/ your analysis but I still don't know what his potential is or the type of player he can be. I don't think he can be labeled a bust b.c he has not been given a fair shot. Mangini's decision to pull him last season was a poor one and probably hurt his development (as you referred to).

Yeah, it's a shame. My gut says he wasn't ever going to be a great one, but through ineptitude, the Browns basically screwed themselves out of even finding out.

I agree that he hasn't gotten much of a chance, but he'll likely be labeled a bust whether it's fair or not (unless he turns it around, of course).

The funny thing is remembering all the handwringing and debate about Quinn v. Russell and Quinn v. Ginn. Thus far, it's been way too much fuss over three underwhelming (up till now) first rounders.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts