Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Seller IRS want your Paypal Sales report for taxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
Internet sellers who don't report their sales will no longer be under the radar. Starting next year, any bank or other payment settlement company that processes credit cards, debit cards, and electronic payments such as PayPal will have to issue information returns telling the IRS what merchants receive. The new returns are Form 1099-K, Merchant Card and Third-Party Payments.

Purpose of Reporting The IRS believes that many online sellers fail to report their transactions. Some don't report because they mistakenly believe that Internet sales are invisible. Others do so because they are trying to evade taxes.

The IRS has found that using information returns, such as W-2 forms for employees, Form 1099-MISC for independent contractors, and Form 1099-INT for bank interest, goes a long way toward improving the reporting of income. IRS computers can match income reported on these information returns with the income reported on tax returns.

Who's Subject to Reporting All merchants who accept payments through credit cards, debit cards, gift cards and PayPal will receive information returns telling them - and the IRS - the gross amount of the merchant card transactions. This will be broken down month by month. While the form uses the word "card," the IRS has made it clear that this is interpreted broadly to include third-party network transactions (i.e., PayPal).

Exception: Very small merchants won't be issued information returns. "Small" for this purpose means annual gross sales on merchant cards of no more than $20,000 or 200 or fewer transactions. In other words, reporting is required only if gross amounts for the year exceed $20,000 and there are more than 200 transactions.

Mechanics As it now stands (proposed regulations have not yet been finalized), gross amounts reported for merchant transactions do not take into account any adjustments for credits, cash equivalents, discount amounts, fees, chargebacks, refunded amounts, or any other amounts. It will be up to sellers to report on their returns the full amounts reported to them and then make adjustments or explanations to account for differences in what is ultimately taxable to them.

For example, a seller who is paid $1,000 by credit card for a particular transaction does not necessarily have $1,000 profit even though $1,000 will be included on Form 1099-K. The $1,000 must be reported so the return will match what's in the IRS computers, but this amount will then be reduced on the merchant's return by the cost of goods sold (what it costs for the inventory sold), merchant account fees, and other costs.

Providing Your Tax ID Number to Processors Merchants will have to provide their federal tax identification numbers to the companies processing their transactions. If they fail to do so, they may become subject to "backup withholding," which means these companies will have to deduct and withhold income tax from reportable payments. Backup withholding won't go into effect until 2012.

Sellers who don't wish to provide their social security number to payment processors can obtain an EIN (Employer ID Number). Note that you can obtain an EIN even if you are a sole proprietorship. See the IRS website for more information.

More information on Form 1099-K You can find more information about Form 1099-K, the new information return that payment settlement entities will use to report the gross amount of merchant card or third-party payments, on this IRS web page (PDF format).

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Re: Ebay Seller IRS want your Paypal Sales report

Hell, I always claim my paypal sales and I still have a loss.

I have no problems playing by the IRS rules, because I (and my tax professionals) know how to "play by their rules" also.

marterburn

Sucks for people who sell stuff just to sustain their hobby like myself.

I have been right around 200 selling transactions looking at my last few 12-month windows. I'll just have to make sure I stay under 200 for the entirety of 2010....

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
tonsofcommons said:
HPC said:
More gift payments will begin to happen.

I don't think that that is going to matter. The IRS will figure out how to count that also.

Technically, there is no way to prove it is a sale.

But alas you are probably right

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Well I probably make close to 200 purchases per year, but make nowhere near that amount in sales, and probably don't even approach 4 figures in terms of sales so I'm not worries one bit.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
if this even happens, doesn't it go into effect for 2011?

Also it is my understanding that you can have over 200 transaction as lnog as the amonut is not over 20,000

Exception: Very small merchants won't be issued information returns. "Small" for this purpose means annual gross sales on merchant cards of no more than $20,000 or 200 or fewer transactions. In other words, reporting is required only if gross amounts for the year exceed $20,000 and there are more than 200 transactions.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
Huffamaniac said:
if this even happens, doesn't it go into effect for 2011?

Also it is my understanding that you can have over 200 transaction as lnog as the amonut is not over 20,000

The confusing part is the former assertion:"[...]20,000 or 200 or fewer transactions."

"Or" implies two options, but what you bolded ("[...]and[...]") implies those two options must be met.

For the sake of benefit: I will assume the latter is what they meant. :lol:

marterburn

yeah, the paragraph appears to contradict itself there....

A_Pharis

jdacunha said:
Wouldn't you be able to offset sales w/cost of cards or whatever you sold?

Bingo. This is the #1 alternative. If they want you to report profit then you need to be sure to keep ALL purchase records, too. If they want to tax it like a business then they should give you expenses like a business.

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
So technically the IRS is labeling sellers as a legitimate business. So I am assuming you can technically write your house off as a business expense since technically that is where your "home business" is ran from. I am sure there are other things that can be deducted also. Just a matter of finding out what they are. This could turn out to be a paperwork nightmare. Say for instance I buy a $100 card on Ebay and flip it for $125. I would need to prove I paid $100 (Inventory expense) for the card and only made a $25 profit off of it but I am sure they will put the full $125 as income so you will need to keep the paperwork on every purchase and sale. Will also need to have proof of shipping costs, and Ebay and Paypal fees which can also be deducted. Looks like a paperwork nightmare for some.

Members online

Latest posts