Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow just Wow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
So glad to see that punk ass Latrell Spreewell on that list. He deserves it after all that crap he pulled. Bet he now wishes that he took them up on that offer of $21 million.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
Lancemountain said:
he decided to downgrade from the $5,000 slot machine

There's 5,000 slot machines? :lol:

Duh, you have never seen a $5,000.00 coin. It goes penny, nickel, dime, quarter, fifty cent piece, gold dollar and then $5,000 coin. I thought everybody knew this. :lol:

Also, I am the only one that thinks this was a good deal? "$140,000 for two Bengal tigers".

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
I read these stories and it boggles my mind how people can be such waste. Who needs 17 room houses and 4 million dollar cars. If I ever owned that amount of money I dont even know what I would do with it to begin with

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
I think its kind of funny that some of them could have just let the money sit in their checking accounts, never "invested" any of it, and yet would have had enough for a very nice yearly spending for the rest of their life.

Yet, they're broke from moronic investing when they had more money than they knew what to do with!

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
animals are expensive. my uncle spent $25,000 on a dog.... in 1980. that's well over $50k today

AKT74 said:
Lancemountain said:

Duh, you have never seen a $5,000.00 coin. It goes penny, nickel, dime, quarter, fifty cent piece, gold dollar and then $5,000 coin. I thought everybody knew this. :lol:

Also, I am the only one that thinks this was a good deal? "$140,000 for two Bengal tigers".

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
What is weird is how one player will get bad advice from another. Look at all the ways athletes go broke:

1. Put cash in a Ponzi scheme- Micheal Vick

2. Make bad investments- Drew Bledsoe invested in a business that would allow people to use their thumb to pay for items like a credit card.

3.. Get divorced- Greg Norman lost over a 100 million in divorces

4. Try to run a business- Lenny Dykstra

5. Do drugs - Rickey Williams

6. Have too many children- Travis Henry had 9 kids with 9 different women . He paid 170,000 in child support in 2007.

7. Using the wrong advisors

8. Invest too much in real estate- At one time , Jose Canseco had a house in 10 different states and 3 different countries

9. Fight dogs - Micheal Vick

10. Act dumb- Pacman Jones

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
J.O. said:
animals are expensive. my uncle spent $25,000 on a dog.... in 1980. that's well over $50k today

AKT74 said:
Lancemountain said:

Yeah and that damn thing better be able to cook and clean house and mow the lawn too for that much. Not trying to be rude about it but it just seems when you look at the grand scale...some things have a limit, or should have one, when it comes to what they cost.

Most I have paid for a dog was $400 and in all honesty...it wasn't my idea. I know plenty of people giving away dogs. Some are even pretty good breeds. But my wife likes the taco bell dogs so I have to go with the flow.

For why some of these guys go broke...its because they live in a fanatsy land where nobody tells them that the money can and will run out.
As far as a cars go...anything over $1,000,000 is absurd. Chances are...no matter what you buy ...you could buy something faster and sleeker for less money. Or build it. Which would be more fun. Especially since there is no lag between what you need and what you can afford. Besides...you have to drive it sometime. If I had a car that expensive...I'd be worried as hell to take it anywhere. Another thing I don't get is how many cars do you really need? Hell...pick three or four and call it a day. If you have a slew of cars...what will you do with them all? My bet is even if you only have 3 or 4...you will eventually gravitate towards one in particular that you get used to, you like, and that really just feels right for you. So even then you'd be prone to neglect the others. At 18 cars...you are just an idiot.

As for the lavish homes...I can see wanting a big home. I would love a two story house with 5 bedrooms in it. But the bedrooms would merely be for family get togethers and hollidays. Having a home with 111 bedrooms is kinda f'n creepy. What the hell would you do? Re-enact The Shining?

The main theme behind all of these problems seems to be that these people buy things they don't want or need, simply because they can. My motto is if you don't need it then you have to go to step two: if its a want...are you buying something you will get enjoyment out of or will actually use. Now if the answer to all of those questions is a resounding no...then don't freakin buy it! Otherwise it really is a waste of money pure and simple. Buy things you need/want/will use. Stick to that and also determine how much you should spend depending on the item and go from there. Buying a $20,000,000 home just because you can is stupid. Instead, determine what your home will be used for, determine how much use you will get out of each component of the home, and then determine what to buy. And based on what you are buying, determine a decent price. Because buying a home for $20 million that you absolutely won't/can't even get close to utilizing is no different than a rather large burly man going into walgreens and buying $200 worth of maxi pads he won't/can't use or doesn't need. Not only can he not use the product, he wasted a lot of money on the item as well. Who the hell does that?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
19braves77 said:
What is weird is how one player will get bad advice from another. Look at all the ways athletes go broke:

1. Put cash in a Ponzi scheme- Micheal VickHe's a *******...what do you expect?

2. Make bad investments- Drew Bledsoe invested in a business that would allow people to use their thumb to pay for items like a credit card.That is not actually a horrible idea. IMO...something of that nature would seem really advanced and I could totally see it becoming a reality. Why not try to get in on the ground floor of something like this? Plus...if this ever did happen, it could stop credit card theft completely and any time you sign up for a new card, they could match your prints with your other creditors to ensure someone who is not you isn't applying for the credit card or loan.

3.. Get divorced- Greg Norman lost over a 100 million in divorcesDivorces can always be costly but there are way too many variables at play to call it a good or bad idea if you aren't in the know about the situation.

4. Try to run a business- Lenny DykstraNot a bad idea either. At least he was trying to ensure he would keep money flowing.

5. Do drugs - Rickey Williamssee mike vick

6. Have too many children- Travis Henry had 9 kids with 9 different women . He paid 170,000 in child support in 2007.see mike vick! On another note...does anybody feel like there should be a state by state maximum amount of child support per month that can be paid? Say the state mandates that it would cost $5,000 a month to raise a child considering cost of living. Somebody making enough money to pay more than that should not be forced to. Reason? Because the ex wifey ends up getting her greedy paws on the money and it does not go to the child or to care for the child. My aunt spends her entire child support check on her cell phone bill. It really irks me. They will even have the power shut off and the water cut off but there she is chatting it up on the phone while her daughter tries to do her homework and take baths at my grandmother's apartment.

7. Using the wrong advisorsTrue but if you are not a really smart cookie...its tough to determine exactly who you should be listening to. There are always a lot of people out there with less than beneficial motivations and if you aren't in the know about whats going on...it can be hard to know who you can and can't trust. Plus...if you have all this money...you are a huge target. Everybody is constantly trying to persuade you to invest.

8. Invest too much in real estate- At one time , Jose Canseco had a house in 10 different states and 3 different countriesAgreed.

9. Fight dogs - Micheal Vicksee mike vick

10. Act dumb- Pacman Jonesmike vick squared.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
It is not just athletes that go broke...same it true of lotto winners. Much of it boils down to education or a lack of education.

Think about it...how many high profile athletes struggle to get into college and then leave for the pros as soon as they are eligible?

Many of these individuals who go broke come from poor families....and they become instant millionaires. You have family and friends....you buy them stuff, you employ them...and they suck you dry.

You are also surrounded by a peer group (teammates) who is spending money...so you spend money. Plus, you have a lot of free time...tons of free time to do nothing but spend money. Not to mention, you become a target for all kind of people looking to take advantage of you and your wealth.

It is not hard to spend money....even for the average person. You start your career and find a way to manage on a $50k household income...a few promotions later and your household income jumps to $250k and so do your bills.

It takes discipline to save money and plan for the future....but you also have to balance out your life and have fun, enjoy the rewards that come along with all of your hard work.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
J.O. said:

AKT74 said:
Lancemountain said:

No you missed my point, I really do think that seems cheap. I thought a Tiger would run like $250,000 a piece.

Dude what kind of dog was that? Do you know how many Russian chicks you can get through the mail for $25,000! :twisted:

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
AKT74 said:
Lancemountain said:

I wouldn't buy the Cincinnati Bengals if I had an extra $140,000, let alone two Bengal tigers.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
IndyMann said:
AKT74 said:
Lancemountain said:

I wouldn't buy the Cincinnati Bengals if I had an extra $140,000, let alone two Bengal tigers.

But would you pay $140,000 to watch the Cinny Bengals fight 2 real Bengals in a cage match?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
It is a combination of two things imo. First, many have no experience on how to handle with money and plan for the future. Second, people try to take advantage of people with these amounts of money, and the people with the money think they have so much money that they can't say no.

Members online

Latest posts