Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does no one say "thank you" anymore????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Ok, I'm watching this guys videos of Texas Rangers and KC Royals players signing autographs for people...but yet, I don't hear anyone say "Thanks Josh" or anything like that (check out his other videos).

Now, for the people that say, "you just can't hear it", my response is that players usually say "you're welcome" or "yup" or "no problem" when people say thanks...sigh...what has society come to that "thanks" is not even a common thing especially when players are taking time out of their schedule to sign stuff for you... ::facepalm::

http://www.youtube.com/user/pristineauction#p/u/21/fpJD-gWf35c

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I say please and thank you and refer to every ball player regardless of their age as mr. and their last name. im already a 28 year old dude asking for another mans signature. the least i can do is be polite. :lol:

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
That video looks like the tail end of one of Hamilton's signing sessions. When he gets to signing at ST, he just signs and signs and signs. I appreciate his signing habits at ST. That video is strange because every time I've got him at ST people are chatting him up (and saying thank you, etc.). I'm not sure why the scene is so somber. He does smile at one point of the video, which is probably a response to someone talking to him.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I think the worst part are the kids who are asking him to sign stuff and not saying "please" or "thank you". I mean, c'mon...are the kids these days that bad that TY and please are just not in their vocabulary???

BTW, Josh smiled when someone was mocking the PA address system "#32...Josh...Haaaaamilton!!!!". No thank you's there!

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
moxacaine said:
I say please and thank you and refer to every ball player regardless of their age as mr. and their last name. im already a 28 year old dude asking for another mans signature. the least i can do is be polite. :lol:

I'm 39 and would still say "sir and Mr."
I even offered Clayton Richards a pile of cards for himself (future kids, nephews, etc) when he signed one for my godson

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Manners have definitely seemed to diminish in our society. I still open doors for my wife. If we're out somewhere, I will always hold the door open for others as well. I use sir and ma'am, please and thank you. There are plenty more, but you get the point. I certainly wish more people would use good manners.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I always say "Thank You" and I will teach my 11 week old son the same thing.
What I can't stand is when I go to a store and hold open a door and the person does not say thanks, I have finally started saying "you're welcome" in a sarcastic tone so they know how inconsiderate they are. It is truly unbelievable how people in our society have become these days. The sad thing is is I am only 33 and I already sound like my father!

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
You guys should watch his other videos (Moustakas, Michael Young etc.). I can't believe how the mood is just "silent"...no wonder why some players don't sign in person at games etc....

The manners of the autograph hounds just suck IMO!

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
moxacaine said:

Mox - Your post got me thinking. As I'm approaching 40 now, I've noticed that I've definitely changed my "please" and "thank you" habits. It's mostly with the minor league guys who are about half my age. I find that I will often say something like "Thanks. Have a good season." instead of "Thanks Mr. Hicks" as was the case at TwinsFest.

Alex

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'll use the "Mr. ______" on coaches that are older than me, but if I'm requesting a player's autograph, I think that the formality of "Mr." adds a bit of creep factor. I'm courteous and appreciative, but calling them "sir" or "Mr." is too awkward for me personally.

To each their own.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
2-3 years ago when we were in Cincinnati at Great American Ball Park Brandon Phillips was signing for everyone and everyone was saying "Thanks Mr. Phillips" and he finally starting laughing and said "C'mon guys I'm young, call me Brandon!" It was a pretty cool moment.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
200lbhockeyplayer said:
I'll use the "Mr. ______" on coaches that are older than me, but if I'm requesting a player's autograph, I think that the formality of "Mr." adds a bit of creep factor. I'm courteous and appreciative, but calling them "sir" or "Mr." is too awkward for me personally.

To each their own.

I totally agree with that. Calling a 19 year old kid "Mr. so and so" just feels really weird, on both my end and theirs. I'm still polite and always make sure I add an audible "Thank you" at the end.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I bet once Hamilton was done, there were one or more people who said 'thank you' in appreciation.

If you weren't there - seriously, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
My students always find it odd that I say sir and ma'am to them. I also refer to them as "Mr." or "Miss" and their respective last names.

As time goes on, I notice that most of my students come around to using the same pleasantries towards me.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
My way is that for an older retired player, I do the Mr.___ thing. For a current player (older or younger), I do the "first name" thing. I think that works the best!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I said "Mr. Hicks" to Aaron Hicks (to sign on the sweet spot) and he's 10 years my junior). Also thanked everyone and wished them a great 2010 season at Twinsfest.

Very rarely, do you find manners. I may have been brought up differently, but I always try to be polite and respectful, unless there is blatent disrespect shown to me.

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
Being polite is a very big deal for me and my family. We always say please and thank you. My kids understand this and are pretty good at saying it all the time. Now we're working on looking people in the eye while saying it and saying it loud enough they can hear you.

If someone is wearing a name tag, a checker at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc, I try to say their name when thanking them as well.

It costs nothing to be polite. It's easy to do, and it's appreciated nearly 100% of the time.

Members online

Latest posts